Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Correct tax paid

• 14-11-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I've attached an image of the tax I've paid this year, i was wondering could anyone tell me if i have paid the correct tax or if i am due any tax returns?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Edit: ignore, I assumed this was year end figures.

PAYE seems high, 20% of €17k is €3,400, and you should have €3,300 in tax credits (unless you had them reduced to pay off previous underpayments or something?)
    USC seems low (quick calculation suggest €160), and PRSI should be zero (assuming you are in class A0, you would have to earn €18k to pay PRSI)

So I would think this would be closer to what you should have paid:
    PAYE: 120
    USC: 160
    PRSI: 0*
    Total: 280

*PRSI is paid weekly, so if you were getting paid more than €352 in any given week you would have paid 4% of that (not even sure how you go about claiming that back, or if that's possible)

You can't assume from the information given.
    What period was that over, are you still earning etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

If that's for 10 months up to now in the year, you are looking like earning approx 20,500 for the year.
    Your income tax on this would be 20% of 20,500 which is 4,100 less 3,300 tax credits which is 800 tax paid by end of year. Looks ballpark correct to me at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

You can't assume from the information given.
    What period was that over, are you still earning etc.
    Sorry, I don't know why I assumed this was his year end figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

iFreeley wrote: »
    Hi, I've attached an image of the tax I've paid this year, i was wondering could anyone tell me if i have paid the correct tax or if i am due any tax returns?

If that's all your taxable income for the year it looks about right based on a 12 month period. We'd need your annual rate band and credits to be sure. Do you understand how the the PAYE system works?

Generally a PAYE worker not moving multiple jobs each year with stand credits and rate band would pay the correct amount of tax so long as their employer was operating the PAYE system correctly.

Refunds of PAYE come from 3 things mainly:
    1. Claiming an additional tax credit/relief you may be entitled to based on your circumstances
    2. A repayment may occur due to the operation of emergency tax during the year for some reason
    3. Often having multiple employments at the same time could mean not spreading out your credits/rate band efficiently through the tax year through your multiple jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Hi sorry for the delayed reply!

I left my current job last Friday 15th nov, I was wondering how this affects my situation? Do I have any tax to claim back or is it correct? As this is likely all I will be earning until the new year?

Advertisement