Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Bike in Winter, Why Bother!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Another point thats worth mentioning.

When you regularly wash your bike, you are inadvertently inspecting every external part also.

If you are an ACF50 guy and dont wash over long periods, you can sometimes miss a lose or missing bolt or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must admit I get lazy with cleaning over winter, maybe every 6 weeks, likely closer to 8.

ACF - is it a rust preventer only or can it deal with current rust. Have a few spots on the frame which were worrying me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Must admit I get lazy with cleaning over winter, maybe every 6 weeks, likely closer to 8.

ACF - is it a rust preventer only or can it deal with current rust. Have a few spots on the frame which were worrying me

It cant reverse the effects of the rust but it will coat the affected area and stop it from getting worse....and yes its prolly the best product I have seen in many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cleaned the bike yesterday after 6 months of gathering gunk on it. It hadn't rained for the last week, wake up this morning, p1ssing. Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Bummer. How did it come up after 6 mnts of non cleaning? Any new corrosion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Its a relatively new bike (151) So I don't know if that helped avoid any corrosion. No pitting on the forks which normally go first as they bear the brunt of the poor conditions. Some corrosion around the O2 sensor on the exhaust and a little on the headers but that will be easily dealt with and a couple of furry bolts but nothing that bad. I had used ACF50 at the start of the summer when it was dry enough to put some effort into it but I should have given it another treatment at the end of the summer when I had a chance.

I did other bits while I was at it. Oil change done. Chain tightened according to manual spec (5-15mm) on the centre stand, I went with the 15mm and can hear the chain on deceleration now and getting vibes through the pegs but the on/off throttle response is far better. seems very tight when on the side stand though. I was doing it to 25mm before now. As the bike was idle and the temps varied over the last 2 weeks I checked the tyre pressures and only a small drop off but I noticed lots of cupping on the right of the front tyre, they're almost at the indicators in one spot and a difference of a couple of mm everywhere else. Might be time to change them. I don't think I'll go for the road 5 front again as the rear has loads left on it and very little squaring.

Advertisement