Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poll: Who would you vote for in the UK General Election

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Aegir wrote: »
    If Corbin gets in, it will be twice that number.

Ludicrous statement - based on what?

endabob1 wrote: »
    Ludicrous statement - based on what?

because his policies would completely **** the economy and bankrupt the country.

because his policies would completely **** the economy and bankrupt the country.

How exactly?

I mean specifically which policies will bankrupt the country?

Labour have a long standing policy of increasing taxes on the extremely well off, and ensuring that all companies pay corporation tax, so no avoidance scams like we see from Starbucks etc... this then funds their spending plans. All costed out, unlike the Tory manifesto which just had pretty pictures and vague promises of spending with absolutely no mention of where the funds will come from in a shrinking economy due to their brexit policy

A Tory Brexit or a Hard Brexit will cost the economy somewhere between 40 - 80 Bn a year

https://www.ft.com/content/a6f991ba-eda8-11e9-bfa4-b25f11f42901

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/760484/28_November_EU_Exit_-_Long-term_economic_analysis__1_.pdf

How exactly?

I mean specifically which policies will bankrupt the country?

Nationalising utilities and transport and creating a super duper NHS owned pharmaceutical company.
    Labour have a long standing policy of increasing taxes on the extremely well off, and ensuring that all companies pay corporation tax, so no avoidance scams like we see from Starbucks etc... this then funds their spending plans. All costed out, unlike the Tory manifesto which just had pretty pictures and vague promises of spending with absolutely no mention of where the funds will come from in a shrinking economy due to their brexit policy

A Tory Brexit or a Hard Brexit will cost the economy somewhere between 40 - 80 Bn a year

https://www.ft.com/content/a6f991ba-eda8-11e9-bfa4-b25f11f42901

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/760484/28_November_EU_Exit_-_Long-term_economic_analysis__1_.pdf

it doesn't matter who takes the UK out of the EU, those numbers would apply, although i guess Labour supporters believe Jeremy when he says he will go and negotiate a "Better Deal".

There is a lot more to solving social issues than increasing taxation on those with good jobs, look at the level of tax we pay in this country and the very generous social welfare, yet there still thousands using food banks on a daily basis.

Nationalising utilities and transport and creating a super duper NHS owned pharmaceutical company.

it doesn't matter who takes the UK out of the EU, those numbers would apply, although i guess Labour supporters believe Jeremy when he says he will go and negotiate a "Better Deal".

There is a lot more to solving social issues than increasing taxation on those with good jobs, look at the level of tax we pay in this country and the very generous social welfare, yet there still thousands using food banks on a daily basis.

Nationalising Railways has worked when it has happened in order to bail out the failure of private franchises, East Coast trains being a classic example. I see no reason to believe that a re-nationalised rail network would fail..
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44142258

As for the NHS - if it is allowed to be privatised further under the Tory's (Labour under Blair actually opened this pandoras box) it will result in many more people at foodbanks not less. Be under no doubt the plan here is to dismantle and sell off, commissioning private services is already part and parcel of the structure, Branson and many more are poised....

The thing with Brexit is no matter what deal Corbyn negotiates, their policy now is for a 2nd referendum and although tight I think remain would win it. The reason Boris or May wouldn't put their deals for a confirmatory referendum is because they knew there was a massive risk of losing it. If they were confident they (May especially) Could have put the whole thing to bed a year ago when she brought it before parliament

I agree 100% that there is more to resolving social issues than simply increasing tax, social services needs to be integrated with health care but if you are busy privatising one side of this and deliberately under funding the other then you end up in the situation where Britain is now. There are no financials in the Tory manifesto, or there wasn't in 2017 and most of what spending has been announced is a regurgitation of old commitments, robbing Peter to pay Paul as my mother would put it.

I don't think Corbyn is the answer to Britains problems but to say as you did originally that foodbank usage would double has in my opinion zero basis in fact.
    It will get worse if there is any form of Brexit and it will get much worse if there is a hard or no deal brexit both scenarios much more likely under a tory govt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Labour has been stabbed in the heart by Brexit. And Corbyn's lack of a position on Brexit will sink them. If Labour is sunk in this election, the United Kingdom is as good as sunk too. That recent Yougov poll looks ominous for Corbyn and the union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If Corbin gets in, it will be twice that number.

Why would this be the case?

How's the Conservatives doing on that front since 2010? Austerity was a resounding success!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It's impossible to even begin to know what the reality would be. It all depends on the constituency.

If in Scotland, SNP.

If in the North depending on the constituency but generally SF>SDLP>UUP.

Though, Belfast North would be SF, Belfast South would be SDLP and North Down would be Sylvia Hermon. To be simpler, anyone but the DUP where it's likely my vote would shaft them.

In Wales, Plaid or Green or LD/Lab where it's advantageous to oust a Tory.

In England, Green or LD/Lab where it's advantageous to oust a Tory. That being said I would vote for Anna Soubry or Dominic Grieve and their ilk if I found myself in such constituencies.

Unfortunately I believe she's retiring for family reasons.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Unfortunately I believe she's retiring for family reasons.

It's impossible to even begin to know what the reality would be. It all depends on the constituency.

If in Scotland, SNP.

If in the North depending on the constituency but generally SF>SDLP>UUP.

Though, Belfast North would be SF, Belfast South would be SDLP and North Down would be Sylvia Hermon. To be simpler, anyone but the DUP where it's likely my vote would shaft them.

In Wales, Plaid or Green or LD/Lab where it's advantageous to oust a Tory.

In England, Green or LD/Lab where it's advantageous to oust a Tory. That being said I would vote for Anna Soubry or Dominic Grieve and their ilk if I found myself in such constituencies.

I posted this on the 5th. And she announced on the 6th!

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50323768

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ok, I think I will close this. We've probably had all the votes we're getting and we do not require two threads on the same topic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement