Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike too heavy...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Banzai600 wrote: »
    like everyone else, we have all dropped bikes in one form or another.

What you need to build is confidence. Sometimes you can fall over when in reality, you may not have if you understand me.

practice makes perfect, so i would suggest getting lessons and getting to know your bike better. Crash bars are handy and if they make you feel better why not. An alternative to bars are crash mushrooms.

I would also suggest getting more lessons for slow bike control and maneuvering. If you have someone who can go with you to assist you when going to a private car park to practice or wherever, thats a good idea.

When going in and out of cones or use small plastic / paper cups placed on the ground, start of with large distances between the cones and gradually move them closer, all the time focusing on where you need to be and in the right gear - engine gear. No clutch. it will start off iffy, but you will build to maintain a constant throttle as you get better.

Always keep an eye on tyre pressure this can alter the "feel" of the bike, same with chain tension / maintenance.

Always look where you want to go, not look down, as you will inevitably go where you look - same when someone comes across your path ( but hopefully not ), always look for the escape route, dont focus on the danger.

Re boots, Daytona boots as mentioned do come with inner heel raises so that will help. They are not cheap boots but a 10 yr warranty, superb comfort and being fully waterproof - they are worth it. M@ddocks in Bray stock them - they have a big hill going down to their shop fyi, but it shouldnt trouble you.

I intend to get more help as I was just working on my confidence after I fell and now that I'm not afraid of that I need to work on the controls as I feel I'm just winging it without any particular skill if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Caught this thread as it's trending at the moment.

I arrived on an accident a few years ago, a Motorcyclist was knocked down by a car. I have first aid qualifications and looked after the injured, he'd a broken arm and was a bit shocked. Leathers seemed to be holding the arm well, like a natural splint, he knew to keep the helmet on and was breathing and communicating perfectly.

While we waited for the ambulance three of us (including two hefty Gards) couldn't shift the bike!! It seemed to weigh fourteen tons!!!

A biker arrived on the scene, put his bike on it's stand and single handily got the bike on it's wheels and moved it to the kerb in one movement like a terminator! There's obvously a knack to it.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Caught this thread as it's trending at the moment.

I arrived on an accident a few years ago, a Motorcyclist was knocked down by a car. I have first aid qualifications and looked after the injured, he'd a broken arm and was a bit shocked. Leathers seemed to be holding the arm well, like a natural splint, he knew to keep the helmet on and was breathing and communicating perfectly.

While we waited for the ambulance three of us (including two hefty Gards) couldn't shift the bike!! It seemed to weigh fourteen tons!!!

A biker arrived on the scene, put his bike on it's stand and single handily got the bike on it's wheels and moved it to the kerb in one movement like a terminator! There's obvously a knack to it.

Where is this man?! :D If I intentionally place my bike on the ground with a view to practice getting it up - and can't - how do I get it standing back up at all? Last time it fell the engine flooded too so is that not a risk also? And I can't practice with anyone around because they'll laugh at me - already getting "crazy woman" looks even more than usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Where is this man?! :D If I intentionally place my bike on the ground with a view to practice getting it up - and can't - how do I get it standing back up at all? Last time it fell the engine flooded too so is that not a risk also? And I can't practice with anyone around because they'll laugh at me - already getting "crazy woman" looks even more than usual!

Haha!

Not something you want to practice really but educate yourself on, there's lots of videos on how to do it and it really is quite simple once you do it right. However, if I came off myself and someone offered me help I wouldn't refuse it.

I don't know where he is now, he was a neighbour in Dublin City centre, used to drive by my old house every day with his mate on impressivly loud, chopped up Harley Davidsons. All beards, leather, tattoos & patches. He'd some knack of manoeuvring the handlebars & brakes to lift the bike up from it's fallen position. Great neighbours! Never had trouble when they were around.

(I haven't a clue about motorbikes, other than admiring them)

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I don't know where he is now, he was a neighbour in Dublin City centre, used to drive by my old house every day with his mate on impressivly loud, chopped up Harley Davidsons. All beards, leather, tattoos & patches. He'd some knack of manoeuvring the handlebars & brakes to lift the bike up from it's fallen position. Great neighbours! Never had trouble when they were around.

(I haven't a clue about motorbikes, other than admiring them)

Haha! He sounds like a real life Dublin version of a biker God! Didn't think they made them like that anymore! :D

I also find the idea of you and 2 guards trying to lift a bike up slightly amusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

had bikes since i was 18, not biking now due to getting hit by car drivers[twice] not looking where their going , nothing serious just gave it up, why not get yourself a nice 250 cc , why do you need a 'big Bike'? some years ago a guy i know [never had a bike' bought a 1200 cruiser type, gave himself a lot of hardship trying to be the big guy, but would'nt listen when i said he should start on something smaller, only thinking of being the main man,he was a danger to everyone around him at the time now owns a Harley that he never uses.just to say he has one, get something that suits you maybe the bike shop should have given you a bit if advice at the time, don't worry i'd say they'll change it for you, remember small steps , they'll give you great pleasure but they will bite at some stage. good luck .

Haha! He sounds like a real life Dublin version of a biker God! Didn't think they made them like that anymore! :D

They were patched bikers. Drank in Barnstormers.
    I also find the idea of you and 2 guards trying to lift a bike up slightly amusing!

It was amusing! I think we did more damage to the bike trying to right it than what was done in the accident and there was a serious smell of petrol and oil. Gards weren't too amused at the bikers slagging them.

Car hit victim was more worried about his suit being cut up than his broken arm.

decky1 wrote: »
    had bikes since i was 18, not biking now due to getting hit by car drivers[twice] not looking where their going , nothing serious just gave it up, why not get yourself a nice 250 cc , why do you need a 'big Bike'? some years ago a guy i know [never had a bike' bought a 1200 cruiser type, gave himself a lot of hardship trying to be the big guy, but would'nt listen when i said he should start on something smaller, only thinking of being the main man,he was a danger to everyone around him at the time now owns a Harley that he never uses.just to say he has one, get something that suits you maybe the bike shop should have given you a bit if advice at the time, don't worry i'd say they'll change it for you, remember small steps , they'll give you great pleasure but they will bite at some stage. good luck .

That's a shame decky1 that you were hit twice.. I imagine that would have a negative affect on your biking :(

I was told that it would be more dangerous me having a slower bike as cars would be impatient and take more chances to overtake etc.. which has (and does)happen when I'm going a bit slower on this bike. I don't think the engine size is too heavy per se.. it's more the weight and that both my feet don't touch the ground together. But I am actually getting used to it now, but am going to book one or two more lessons for fine tuning!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JamesEIRE

Hey James,

I got quoted €700 with Principle which I happily accepted as Liberty would not insure that engine size for me!

Thanks a lot for the reply :) Great to know we can learn on a bigger bike as well. Just got the ole theory test booked now wont be til mid week in Dec til i get to do it as Mullingar only had one date this year haha

• Advertisement

JamesEIRE wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the reply :) Great to know we can learn on a bigger bike as well. Just got the ole theory test booked now wont be til mid week in Dec til i get to do it as Mullingar only had one date this year haha

More time to study and watch youtube videos! You'll be grand, I found it all a bit daunting but I do be smiling from ear to ear under my helmet everytime I even think about my bike now! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

That's a shame decky1 that you were hit twice.. I imagine that would have a negative affect on your biking :(

I was told that it would be more dangerous me having a slower bike as cars would be impatient and take more chances to overtake etc.. which has (and does)happen when I'm going a bit slower on this bike. I don't think the engine size is too heavy per se.. it's more the weight and that both my feet don't touch the ground together. But I am actually getting used to it now, but am going to book one or two more lessons for fine tuning!

delighted to hear it coming together for you,the last bike i had was a Bandit 250 import super fast ,I don't think anyone could say 250's a slow believe me-- i think everyday you get on your bike you learn something, .best wishes and safe biking,:cool:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I don't think the engine size is too heavy per se.. it's more the weight and that both my feet don't touch the ground together. But I am actually getting used to it now, but am going to book one or two more lessons for fine tuning!

Sometimes it is a difficult call to decide if you can manage or not. I am short and have put up with only getting one foot down. I have also sold on bikes because the combination of height and weight just make the handling of the bike , at traffic lights and parking, too much trouble. Only you can decide, but don't be afraid of moving on to a more suitable bike if, ultimately, you are unhappy with it.

With boots, I have had great success with shoe repairers getting extra heel and sole added to boots. it might be a much cheaper option that any special higher boots. Heels alone wont help with your reach to the ground but heels and soles will.

Have you asked about lowering the bike. You can often get an extra cm. or two by lowering the front forks and perhaps playing with suspension settings. Some bikes have low seats available so maybe ask your dealer. I was talking to a dealer recently and he mentioned that this is a very common issue he deals with.
    Best wishes with the practice and extra lessons, you can never get too much training. Good luck

rock22 wrote: »
    Sometimes it is a difficult call to decide if you can manage or not. I am short and have put up with only getting one foot down. I have also sold on bikes because the combination of height and weight just make the handling of the bike , at traffic lights and parking, too much trouble. Only you can decide, but don't be afraid of moving on to a more suitable bike if, ultimately, you are unhappy with it.

With boots, I have had great success with shoe repairers getting extra heel and sole added to boots. it might be a much cheaper option that any special higher boots. Heels alone wont help with your reach to the ground but heels and soles will.

Have you asked about lowering the bike. You can often get an extra cm. or two by lowering the front forks and perhaps playing with suspension settings. Some bikes have low seats available so maybe ask your dealer. I was talking to a dealer recently and he mentioned that this is a very common issue he deals with.
    Best wishes with the practice and extra lessons, you can never get too much training. Good luck

Hey rock22, I'm waiting on an instructor to get back to me for a lesson and I will see what he says after watching me!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

For slow maneuvers and that stuff, get to a car park late at night and just do figure of 8 laps as tight as you feel comfortable. Once you get the feeling of bike control, aim to do your turn about within a few parking spaces painted to the ground etc.

I went and got a ZX6R after my test, its a pretty tall bike (I'm 5ft 7) and can only get one foot down comfortably. You do need to be aware of stopping on road inclines side to side and so on.

But at the start, bikes will feel heavy, awkward, unnatural, a bit of a handful and trying to control the power delivery etc....theres a lot going on at once. Its normal to feel this way, it's quite overwhelming. But after some lessons and dedicated practise in car parks etc, it will help no end.

gonko wrote: »
    For slow maneuvers and that stuff, get to a car park late at night and just do figure of 8 laps as tight as you feel comfortable. Once you get the feeling of bike control, aim to do your turn about within a few parking spaces painted to the ground etc.

I went and got a ZX6R after my test, its a pretty tall bike (I'm 5ft 7) and can only get one foot down comfortably. You do need to be aware of stopping on road inclines side to side and so on.

But at the start, bikes will feel heavy, awkward, unnatural, a bit of a handful and trying to control the power delivery etc....theres a lot going on at once. Its normal to feel this way, it's quite overwhelming. But after some lessons and dedicated practise in car parks etc, it will help no end.

Thanks gonko! Car park late at night though? I'd rather early on a weekend but do need to get alot more practice in.

I can also only get one foot down comfortably and am wondering does that affect how you filter? I haven't done it yet because I know I'm not comfortable and I want to stay alive and have many happy years of riding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Thanks gonko! Car park late at night though? I'd rather early on a weekend but do need to get alot more practice in.

I can also only get one foot down comfortably and am wondering does that affect how you filter? I haven't done it yet because I know I'm not comfortable and I want to stay alive and have many happy years of riding :D

Well the trick to filtering is not to put your foot down, otherwise it'd be called stopped :-)

I can only flat foot on one side too.

I don't remembering doing any filtering when I started. It's something you will do when you're comfortable, right now focus on keeping upright.

Advertisement