Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it makes very little difference, from what i understand. working harder means you sweat more, but the converse does not apply - simply sweating does not mean you've worked harder.
    unless you count the temporary weight loss due to fluid loss, it's not considered to be of assistance to weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

it makes very little difference, from what i understand. working harder means you sweat more, but the converse does not apply - simply sweating does not mean you've worked harder.
    unless you count the temporary weight loss due to fluid loss, it's not considered to be of assistance to weight loss.

+1
    Work through your training sessions with intervals & controlled diet then you'll be fine. Weight loss is mostly food related with exercise an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Well that was a brutal commute home. I was ready enough for the rain, but the wind took me off-guard. Met was saying 16km/h at 4, I'd swear it was three fold that on the commute up to North Dublin. It's been a rough Autumn/winter so far...

Yeah I had braced myself for torrential rain, but the wind was the killer. Going eastwards from Citywest down the canal.. was tough I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Keep passing a buzzard on the ground in the mornings in the middle a park in Dublin. It's waiting to spot some rabbits in the same area before hunting them. always funny how you notice some things on a bicycle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's on the ground, it might also be after worms.
    i assume if it was after rabbits, it'd have chosen a higher viewing point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

Cheating a little as this was last night, but went out on the Athlone Greenway and went as far as Moate. It snowed, rained was dark and visibility was terrible.

It was class, I've never ridden in those conditions before, but I was well kitted out, I was still soaked but I was warm, or rather I didn't get cold in the first place. I laughed at the madness of it all several times but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

125kms and 3,500ish metres of climbing in 22 degrees, including Masca and some other climbs around Tenerife. Best day ever on the bike.

griffin100 wrote: »
    3,500ish metres of climbing
    fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

101km 546m Dublin - Hill of Tara - Dublin

First long spin on the bike in about a month after a month off due to a small injury. Been trying a 120mm stem the past 2 weeks on the turbo/round the block spins, felt great to get out on a long spin with it, feel a little less cramped on the bike - really looking forward to the group spin on Sunday now.

The coffee/croissant in the Hill of Tara cafe is worth the trip alone!

nippy out there this morning - 3 degrees i think. 70km, 730m climbing, 26.5km/h average. definitely been noticing a dropoff in speed in the cold weather.

i'd put two new winter tyres on the bike last night - i knew the previous rear tyre especially was cooked, but was surprised how bad it was when i got it off; there was one section of rubber in the centre of the tread, about the size of my little fingernail, which was hanging on by a flap, and the rubber was delaminating in spots all the way round.

• Advertisement

Out with herself this morning for 40ish km Drogheda, Baltray, Clogherhead, over towards Grangebellew to Dunleer and home via R132.

Had a coffee in Dunleer while rubber necking at the scene of a JCB used to rob the ATM there on main street.

Very cold I found, especially on the home stretch from Dunleer when you can pick up a decent bit of speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

70km with just under 700 meters out around the blessington lakes, hadn't been on that spin for a while. Cold. &.foggy only met 2 souls on the lakes. Avg 26.4kph Good for the soul spin :)

3hr training spin today and while not the sunshine I expected it was still a cold but nice day.
    The near zero temps needed my UA cold gear baselayer, Galibier Roubaix LS with a Verge Defend to keep the chills out. I had a couple of Z3 intervals to keep the hr up just in case!

90km at 30 km /h, roll on tomorrow for more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

First time out with the local cycling club today and first time to do a 40k ride. Felt great and ill make it a weekly thing now.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/FSTebT5LF1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

First time out with the local cycling club today and first time to do a 40k ride. Felt great and ill make it a weekly thing now.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/FSTebT5LF1

U should be able to set ur garmin to auto stop so don't need to remember to stop/start at coffee stops.

strava does it automatically anyway i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

U should be able to set ur garmin to auto stop so don't need to remember to stop/start at coffee stops.

When I resume it says its recovering from an issue and logs the continuous time instead. Have a proper garmin ordered now

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

130km 600m Club spin, not a bad day to be out, might need to invest in proper overshoes - Have velotoze covers (which I didn't wear) but don't know how much heat retention they have yet.

4hrs in misty muggy conditions that did improve over the second half, many intervals that were to be rewarded with a coffee & bun at the caf stop. However one needs to being cash to get the above, absolutely heartbroken I was.

Just under 30km avg for 113km, a solid weekend on the bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

78k for me into town and out to Straffan by via the Grand Canal and on to Celbridge and back via the Phoenix park. Lovely day for it at a very relaxed pace with a crew that I hadn't cycled with previously. Nice not to be in the hills for once. Canal from town out as far as Ninth Lock seems still a bit 'lively', remains of a bonfire still going at the Dolphins barn end and a couple of Gardaí keeping an eye on someone repairing some vandalisation of overhead lines. Don't think I'd fancy it as a solo excursion in the hours of darkness.

• Advertisement

Gorey cc club spin with touring group. Headed to Gorey , out old n11 to Arklow, woodenbridge and Avoca, the long drag to Rathdrum, dropped a chain... eventually caught up with group turning right at Deputy's Pass ... 2nd puncture of the weekend :( out at Beehive and back old n11 to Jack Whites, Arklow..Gorey and back to Ballycanew. 102 km 700 meteres Avg 29kph.
    Thats 8 punctures across 3 bikes in last 7-8 weeka :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

dahat wrote: »
    4hrs in misty muggy conditions that did improve over the second half, many intervals that were to be rewarded with a coffee & bun at the caf stop. However one needs to being cash to get the above, absolutely heartbroken I was.

Have started using Google Pay on the phone at coffee stops and haven't found a place yet that won't accept it. No need to mess around with cash on spins any more.

Have started using Google Pay on the phone at coffee stops and haven't found a place yet that won't accept it. No need to mess around with cash on spins any more.

Unfortunately BOI don't support Google Pay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

BoI's IT systems are 5-10 years behind the rest of the industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

secman wrote: »
    Unfortunately BOI don't support Google Pay :(

If you get a Revolut card you could do it through that. That's what I do anyhow.

just as long as you don't mind revolut selling your info.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

N26 is Revolut without all the drama with regulators. Definitely the way to go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

40km with 1000m of climbing, trying to keep some mtb skills up over winter but i really need to put some proper tyres back on.

Feeling really good and could have done the same again as it was a handy pace.

Thanks for the tip & all set now ready to go. I shan't go hungry anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

just as long as you don't mind revolut selling your info.

Ah sure I wasn't using it anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement