Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bumrah has a hat-Trick. Batsmen, 2, 3 and 4. The hat-trick ball was an LBW, Bumrah wasn't too interested but Kohli reviewed anyway and succeeded.

Windies 14/4, 402 runs behind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

22/5 Bumrah again, 5 wickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Christ west indies spin option is a big unit. he got some nice turn and held up an end but I wouldn't be putting him out on the boundary when fielding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Afghanistan doing pretty well so far in their test in Bangladesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Malinga is ripping through the Kiwis in a T20 game!

Currently 3 overs 1 maiden, 5 for 5! Including 4 in 4 balls!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO46278

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Abdul Qadir died. Fantastic leg spinner, sad news. Pakistan have produced some wizards down the years, he was the best of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Abdul Qadir died. Fantastic leg spinner, sad news. Pakistan have produced some wizards down the years, he was the best of all.

Wasn't he the one with a withered arm through childhood polio who could make the ball do amazing things?

Portsalon wrote: »
    Wasn't he the one with a withered arm through childhood polio who could make the ball do amazing things?

I didn't think it was so I looked it up, it was Bhagwat Chandrasekhar of India, that man is still on the go, 74 years young

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bangladesh on course to win, only 4 wickets needed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sorry if this isn't the best thread for this question, but just wondering if anyone had any experience in getting tickets to England test games? Thinking of getting the father in law tickets to a 5-day test next year for his 70th. Eyeing up one of the Pakistan test matches in August (Lords/Trent Bridge/Old Trafford) but not sure really how much it might be.

• Advertisement

Well Afghanistan got their first test win this morning, fair play to them.

Sorry if this isn't the best thread for this question, but just wondering if anyone had any experience in getting tickets to England test games? Thinking of getting the father in law tickets to a 5-day test next year for his 70th. Eyeing up one of the Pakistan test matches in August (Lords/Trent Bridge/Old Trafford) but not sure really how much it might be.

Try the Ashes thread maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Well Afghanistan got their first test win this morning, fair play to them.
    Delighted the weather didn't rob them. They only had 18ov to get 4 wickets after rain prevented play for most of day. Got Shakib first ball of resumption and got last wicket with only about 3 overs left and light starting to fade.

Rashid 11 wickets and a 50 in the match, only 3rd captain to take 10 and score 50.
    Really surprised than Alan Border was one of the other 2!

axe2grind wrote: »
    Delighted the weather didn't rob them. They only had 18ov to get 4 wickets after rain prevented play for most of day. Got Shakib first ball of resumption and got last wicket with only about 3 overs left and light starting to fade.

Rashid 11 wickets and a 50 in the match, only 3rd captain to take 10 and score 50.
    Really surprised than Alan Border was one of the other 2!

It is their second, they beat Ireland as well. Border took 7 in an innings against West Indies a few years ago, was a handy spinner. Desmond Haynes played brilliantly in that match. I'm sure he got a hundred. Afghans were nearly robbed by the weather, but got Shakhib first ball after the resumption, and won in the nick of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Tickets for Lords are sold in a ballot - you go to their website and register, then apply to join the ballot. You'll either be lucky or unlucky.

Not sure about the other grounds, you'd need to check their websites, I'd reckon.

Lord's is probably a gentler experience than the other grounds, it's a bit more sedate.

I was reading that Vikram Rathour is the new India batting coach, how is that even possible, that chap toured England about 15 years ago and was comfortably the worst test player I have ever seen, he had no shots, and couldn't hit it off the square, he averaged about 5, and was lucky to. What are top class batsmen going to learn from him?

Hamilton Mazsakadza of Zimbabwe retired after a match winning 71 against Afghanistan in a t20 international. The eldest of 3 brother's who represented his country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was reading that Vikram Rathour is the new India batting coach, how is that even possible, that chap toured England about 15 years ago and was comfortably the worst test player I have ever seen, he had no shots, and couldn't hit it off the square, he averaged about 5, and was lucky to. What are top class batsmen going to learn from him?

6 tests, averaged 13. :eek:

But take a sportsman like Jose Mourinho, won just about everything in football as a manager, no international caps as a player , not even 100 first club team games as a player and he played for teams you won’t have heard of yet incredibly successful.

As a manager a Winner. Not as of late but a winner generally.

Rather could just have the gift of being great at working with players, educating them, developing them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Shakib Al-Hasan was banned from all forms of cricket by the ICC yesterday for 2 years, with 1 year suspended. He was approached by bookies on 3 occasions and failed to report it. Nobody else to blame but himself.

Being the captain and greatest ever player from Bangaldesh, it's an awful blow to the cricket mad country.

Mohammad Ashraful, was banned for spot fixing in 2013. Lessons were not learned.

So many T20s and ODIs on at the moment, but the thing I have noticed is that the bullying Aussies have gone soft. After years of sledging and intimidation, they have players banned for homophobic outbursts, and players talking about mental health issues. Their own culture has changed, but it must be confusing to be an Aussie cricketer. Years of fake toughness and bull**** count against my sympathy levels for them.

• Advertisement

So many T20s and ODIs on at the moment, but the thing I have noticed is that the bullying Aussies have gone soft. After years of sledging and intimidation, they have players banned for homophobic outbursts, and players talking about mental health issues. Their own culture has changed, but it must be confusing to be an Aussie cricketer. Years of fake toughness and bull**** count against my sympathy levels for them.

Yes I’d agree... like most bullies though they are quick to dish it out but don’t take to it well when they are on the receiving end they tend to have bouts of crocodile tears. I was absolutely always shouting for the English or whomever was playing them..

English really fûcking up what was a great start to their first innings now...throwing wickets away.... it was looking like 400 would not be an unreasonable probability but now just limping towards 300 with 3 wickets remaining.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Strumms wrote: »
    English really fûcking up what was a great start to their first innings now...throwing wickets away.... it was looking like 400 would not be an unreasonable probability but now just limping towards 300 with 3 wickets remaining.

Customary collapse, yet still 209 runs ahead now and Williamson out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Good proper Test Match between these two. Every run earned and every wicket a prize! I reckon England will be 100 or so ahead after the First Innings at the end of Day 3. It will be their match to lose from there.

Good test so far, crucial session now in determining the result...a couple of quick wickets and with runs on the board England will be firmly in the driving seat... New Zealand can bat for an hour or more, no wickets down they will be on course to get close to Englands 353..

English bowlers bowling quite accurately and very economically but not really creating any chances yet. Kiwi’s seemingly happy to tip away, defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Root is a poor captain.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

58 runs for New Zealand off 30 overs in that session with no wickets. Awful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

VillaMad wrote: »
    58 runs for New Zealand off 30 overs in that session with no wickets. Awful to watch.

Not a good advert for test cricket unfortunately. Could spark into life though.....

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

English bowlers look to be all out of ideas... NZ batsman having an easy time of it...playing very conservatively though, three of the English bowlers with economy rates below 3, broad 1.94 which after that many overs is unheard of in the game... not at all getting close to taking a wicket.

Advertisement