Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Who would you vote for in the UK General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Possibly so, but its liking shooting yourself in foot just so the other crowd can't shoot you in the foot first.

Sadly I don't think anything will ever change up there.

Thank god the SDLP and UUP led the way to the GFA, for all the thanks they got.

Anyways, you get the politicians and politics you deserve at the end of the day, and NI certainly has got that.

Things will change, unquestionably, it's just the rate of change is such that it seems it isn't happening.
    DUP have been harmed more in the last 3 years, (RHA, IRish Language, Stormont, Brexit, Abortion, SSM...etc) that it is hard to see them continuously appealing to voters in spite of what SF are up to.

Best thing SF could do is adopt a somewhat concillatory tone and not draw attention to border poll issue and they would at the very least move voters away from DUP if not all the way to SF just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I find it encouraging that even on this ideologically slanted forum that over 11% would vote for Johnson and getting a Brexit deal over the line.

I find it encouraging that even on this ideologically slanted forum that over 11% would vote for Johnson and getting a Brexit deal over the line.

What makes you think the forum is ideologically slanted?

'Slanted' implies a bias without assessment. I think many have a dislike of the Tories as a result of paying close attention to what they have done over the last 3+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Used to live in the Islington South and Finsbury constituency, so I would be one of the few people there who'd vote Conservative.

Used to live in the Islington South and Finsbury constituency, so I would be one of the few people there who'd vote Conservative.

Is that out of an ardent dislike for Thornberry/Labour or a genuine belief in the conservative party/candidate (said to be Kate Pothalingham)?

It does emphasise the frustration though for many in very strong constituencies one way or the other. Thornberry got nearly 63% of the vote last time out, next highest got just under 21%.

I wonder what percentage of those who do not turn out to vote in the election are because they feel their candidate has no chance of winning? Must be 5-10% in some constituencies.

• Advertisement

Depends.

Who would I want as PM? Corbyn.

Would I vote for another party in a tight constituency if it meant sending the Tories out the gap? Absolutely.

If I voted for Lib Dems would I expect them to hold to their word? Absolutely ****ing not. They're the British version of Irish Labour. **** both of them.

Hup Jezza.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Even by NI standard of mixed up politics, this story is very sad.

Threats against the UUP because they don't want to form a pact with the DUP to try to keep out the other side!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-50263931

Surely it's a bit of a joke asking who one would vote for in the UK election, when it's only England that matters? The wishes regarding Brexit of a majority in the Six Counties or in Scotland are irrelevant, and have been proven to be so.

Indeed, this entire election is about England and trying to get an English solution to an entirely English-created problem.

Therefore, out of the three English parties I'd vote for the only one which is against Brexit: the Liberal party.

And please, will people desist from claiming the Labour party is pro-Brexit. They've pissed on their freedom to be so each and every day. Labour is the very, very worst type of opposition to rightwing Tories and other flag-waving jingoists. Petty, party politics doesn't come much worse than what has been going on between the Tories and Labour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One set of predictions
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
    Conservative majority		52%
    Labour majority			11%
    Con choice of Lib/Nat		7%
    Lib choice of Con/Lab		6%
    Lab choice of Lib/Nat		5%
    Con/Brexit coalition		4%
    Lab/Lib coalition		3%
    No overall control		3%
    Con/Lib coalition		3%
    LibDem majority			2%
    Con/Nat coalition		1%
    Lab/Nat coalition		1%
    Brexit/Con coalition		1%
    Nat choice of Con/Lab		1%

So many safe seats so most votes don't matter unless there's a landslide. Might be better off digging up dirt to get a candidate to step down than campaigning. And that's really depressing to consider when you are supposed to have a democracy.

Every marginal is it's own election.

And how do you choose if you have a Remainer Tory vs a Leaver Labour as choices ? Which way will they vote ?

Pensioners might be the key here.

Thanks to the triple lock pension they probably think Brexit won't affect them. They need to be reminded "it's the economy, stupid" because if , as every economist says, Brexit means the UK economy slows down there won't be the money there to support them and the services they need in addition to their pensions. And yes you will have to pay for that TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Surely it's a bit of a joke asking who one would vote for in the UK election, when it's only England that matters? The wishes regarding Brexit of a majority in the Six Counties or in Scotland are irrelevant, and have been proven to be so.

Indeed, this entire election is about England and trying to get an English solution to an entirely English-created problem.

Therefore, out of the three English parties I'd vote for the only one which is against Brexit: the Liberal party.

And please, will people desist from claiming the Labour party is pro-Brexit. They've pissed on their freedom to be so each and every day. Labour is the very, very worst type of opposition to rightwing Tories and other flag-waving jingoists. Petty, party politics doesn't come much worse than what has been going on between the Tories and Labour.

The Tories(starting with Thatcher)have decimated the area of the UK I live in (Merseyside)and as a lifelong Labour voter and trade union member I will vote lib-dem with a heavy heart unless Corbyn gets his act together and gets off the fence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Conservative, in the hope they remember the meaning of their party's name in terms of its social values and free-market small government roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The Tories(starting with Thatcher)have decimated the area of the UK I live in (Merseyside)and as a lifelong Labour voter and trade union member I will vote lib-dem with a heavy heart unless Corbyn gets his act together and gets off the fence.

Given that he's promised a people's vote between remaining and a pretty soft brexit, how much more do you want? Revoking outright without a referendum is just not realistic when there are still such huge numbers of leave voters out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

quokula wrote: »
    Given that he's promised a people's vote between remaining and a pretty soft brexit, how much more do you want? Revoking outright without a referendum is just not realistic when there are still such huge numbers of leave voters out there.

It does appear thankfully that the penny has finally dropped with him and he's getting his act together.
    In regards to the lib-dems pledge of revoking,if people don't want that then they won't vote for it,although this is a very attractive proposition to remainers imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Manach wrote: »
    Conservative, in the hope they remember the meaning of their party's name in terms of its social values and free-market small government roots.
    Both the labour and conservative parties have diverged from the centre.

This isn't a choice between one-nation conservatives and new Labour.

Votes like yours won't make them reform it will just reinforce the view that they don't have to attract the middle ground because that vote will be drive by fear of the nasty party or the tax the rich party.

Neither will change unless there is a major upset. Both can think 40% is achievable without having to compromise extreme values.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's impossible to even begin to know what the reality would be. It all depends on the constituency.

If in Scotland, SNP.

If in the North depending on the constituency but generally SF>SDLP>UUP.

Though, Belfast North would be SF, Belfast South would be SDLP and North Down would be Sylvia Hermon. To be simpler, anyone but the DUP where it's likely my vote would shaft them.

In Wales, Plaid or Green or LD/Lab where it's advantageous to oust a Tory.

In England, Green or LD/Lab where it's advantageous to oust a Tory. That being said I would vote for Anna Soubry or Dominic Grieve and their ilk if I found myself in such constituencies.

Based on Corbyn's commitment to renegotiate the deal and get Brexit sorted in six months, I see absolutely no reason to vote for Labour other than "They aren't Tories".

from what I can tell of the five main parties, the policies are:
    • Stay in power, get Brexit done at any cost and screw the average person
    • Get in to power at any costs and screw anyone who earns more than minimum wage
    • Get Brexit done and screw everyone else
    • Keep everyone happy and ultimately no one
    • Freeeedom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Aegir wrote: »
    Based on Corbyn's commitment to renegotiate the deal and get Brexit sorted in six months, I see absolutely no reason to vote for Labour other than "They aren't Tories".

from what I can tell of the five main parties, the policies are:
    • Stay in power, get Brexit done at any cost and screw the average person
    • Get in to power at any costs and screw anyone who earns more than minimum wage
    • Get Brexit done and screw everyone else
    • Keep everyone happy and ultimately no one
    • Freeeedom

It's not all about Brexit.

How about the chance of a better country?

Over half a million children fed by food banks in the last year in the UK, absolutely shameful.

Over half a million children fed by food banks in the last year in the UK, absolutely shameful.

If Corbin gets in, it will be twice that number.

This illustrates the mess the UK is in.

A general election should be run on general issues. It is already a defacto Brexit referendum but much more complex.

With the state of the Brexit debate, it is likely to be the government after this before they get back to general issues if they do end up not leaving, and could be 10 years before these issues get prominence if they do leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

It would depend on where I was. The UK is effectively multiple parallel political systems sitting in the same parliament. Northern Ireland, in particular, doesn't have anything in common with British politics, having entirely different parties to any other part of the UK.

Meanwhile, with the rise of the SNP, Scotland is also no longer quite in the same two party dichotomy as England.

In general in England I don't know which of the two and a half parties I would abide voting for. The Tories are just awful and Labour is slightly less awful, but still awful. Meanwhile, other than the Lib Dems are opposed to Brexit, I don't really find them a very effective or defined party, but I would probably give them a vote purely on the anti Brexit stance alone. I'd probably hold my nose and vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Ludicrous statement - based on what?

endabob1 wrote: »
    Ludicrous statement - based on what?

because his policies would completely **** the economy and bankrupt the country.

because his policies would completely **** the economy and bankrupt the country.

How exactly?

I mean specifically which policies will bankrupt the country?

Labour have a long standing policy of increasing taxes on the extremely well off, and ensuring that all companies pay corporation tax, so no avoidance scams like we see from Starbucks etc... this then funds their spending plans. All costed out, unlike the Tory manifesto which just had pretty pictures and vague promises of spending with absolutely no mention of where the funds will come from in a shrinking economy due to their brexit policy

A Tory Brexit or a Hard Brexit will cost the economy somewhere between 40 - 80 Bn a year

https://www.ft.com/content/a6f991ba-eda8-11e9-bfa4-b25f11f42901

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/760484/28_November_EU_Exit_-_Long-term_economic_analysis__1_.pdf

How exactly?

I mean specifically which policies will bankrupt the country?

Nationalising utilities and transport and creating a super duper NHS owned pharmaceutical company.
    Labour have a long standing policy of increasing taxes on the extremely well off, and ensuring that all companies pay corporation tax, so no avoidance scams like we see from Starbucks etc... this then funds their spending plans. All costed out, unlike the Tory manifesto which just had pretty pictures and vague promises of spending with absolutely no mention of where the funds will come from in a shrinking economy due to their brexit policy

A Tory Brexit or a Hard Brexit will cost the economy somewhere between 40 - 80 Bn a year

https://www.ft.com/content/a6f991ba-eda8-11e9-bfa4-b25f11f42901

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/760484/28_November_EU_Exit_-_Long-term_economic_analysis__1_.pdf

it doesn't matter who takes the UK out of the EU, those numbers would apply, although i guess Labour supporters believe Jeremy when he says he will go and negotiate a "Better Deal".

There is a lot more to solving social issues than increasing taxation on those with good jobs, look at the level of tax we pay in this country and the very generous social welfare, yet there still thousands using food banks on a daily basis.

Nationalising utilities and transport and creating a super duper NHS owned pharmaceutical company.

it doesn't matter who takes the UK out of the EU, those numbers would apply, although i guess Labour supporters believe Jeremy when he says he will go and negotiate a "Better Deal".

There is a lot more to solving social issues than increasing taxation on those with good jobs, look at the level of tax we pay in this country and the very generous social welfare, yet there still thousands using food banks on a daily basis.

Nationalising Railways has worked when it has happened in order to bail out the failure of private franchises, East Coast trains being a classic example. I see no reason to believe that a re-nationalised rail network would fail..
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44142258

As for the NHS - if it is allowed to be privatised further under the Tory's (Labour under Blair actually opened this pandoras box) it will result in many more people at foodbanks not less. Be under no doubt the plan here is to dismantle and sell off, commissioning private services is already part and parcel of the structure, Branson and many more are poised....

The thing with Brexit is no matter what deal Corbyn negotiates, their policy now is for a 2nd referendum and although tight I think remain would win it. The reason Boris or May wouldn't put their deals for a confirmatory referendum is because they knew there was a massive risk of losing it. If they were confident they (May especially) Could have put the whole thing to bed a year ago when she brought it before parliament

I agree 100% that there is more to resolving social issues than simply increasing tax, social services needs to be integrated with health care but if you are busy privatising one side of this and deliberately under funding the other then you end up in the situation where Britain is now. There are no financials in the Tory manifesto, or there wasn't in 2017 and most of what spending has been announced is a regurgitation of old commitments, robbing Peter to pay Paul as my mother would put it.

I don't think Corbyn is the answer to Britains problems but to say as you did originally that foodbank usage would double has in my opinion zero basis in fact.
    It will get worse if there is any form of Brexit and it will get much worse if there is a hard or no deal brexit both scenarios much more likely under a tory govt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Labour has been stabbed in the heart by Brexit. And Corbyn's lack of a position on Brexit will sink them. If Labour is sunk in this election, the United Kingdom is as good as sunk too. That recent Yougov poll looks ominous for Corbyn and the union.

Why would this be the case?

How's the Conservatives doing on that front since 2010? Austerity was a resounding success!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It's impossible to even begin to know what the reality would be. It all depends on the constituency.

If in Scotland, SNP.

Though, Belfast North would be SF, Belfast South would be SDLP and North Down would be Sylvia Hermon. To be simpler, anyone but the DUP where it's likely my vote would shaft them.

In England, Green or LD/Lab where it's advantageous to oust a Tory. That being said I would vote for Anna Soubry or Dominic Grieve and their ilk if I found myself in such constituencies.

Unfortunately I believe she's retiring for family reasons.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Unfortunately I believe she's retiring for family reasons.

If in Scotland, SNP.

I posted this on the 5th. And she announced on the 6th!

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50323768

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement