Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to brew with these ingredients (extract)

Options
  • 10-04-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I did a shed clear out a minute ago and found all of the ingredients attached.

90% of it, LME, most of the hops, grain etc is from last year.

The rest I’ve no idea tbh.

I don’t even know what grain it is. I think I brewed an ipa last time out.

One of the grains is Carahell, 500g, EBC 20-30 Feb 19. No idea what the darker one and lighter one is. No label.

Two larger yeasts and one US West coast ipa yeast.

My absolute favourite beer is imperial stout, stronger the better! And I am partial to a double ipa.
    I don’t tend to drink sessionable 5% beers that much these days. Prefer higher volume and drink less liquid.

Any suggestions on what to brew with what I have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Throw it in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

RasTa wrote: »
    Throw it in the bin

Seems a bit over the top.

Surely it’ll brew something drinkable. Don’t want to be wasteful.

Absolutely not the freshest ingredients but come on we’re in a pandemic here.

Well the yeast is fecked sitting in different temps for over a year.

If it was food would you cook with it?

Well the yeast is fecked sitting in different temps for over a year.

I have bread yeast I bought about a week ago. 7g dry yeast sachets. Would that work?

The beer yeast is gone altogether then right? Hadn’t thought of that if I’m honest.

The other ingredients albeit old could still potentially produce beer.

I have bread yeast I bought about a week ago. 7g dry yeast sachets. Would that work?

The beer yeast is gone altogether then right? Hadn’t thought of that if I’m honest.

The other ingredients albeit old could still potentially produce beer.

Nah bread yeast is for bread. Whatever you could make wouldn't turn out great. Not worth the time and effort imo

• Advertisement

Nah bread yeast is for bread. Whatever you could make wouldn't turn out great. Not worth the time and effort imo

Fair enough. Do you think the other yeast could potentially at this point in time still produce alcohol when mixed with the LME?

I’d say it probably would.

Very tempted to try. It’s really not a lot of effort considering it’s an extract brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Bread yeast still serves a similar function to brewers so I'd brew with it rather than dump the stuff.

mordeith wrote: »
    Bread yeast still serves a similar function to brewers so I'd brew with it rather than dump the stuff.

Would you use the bread yeast over the other yeast I have sitting in the picture that’s been sitting for the past year or so?

Would you use the bread yeast over the other yeast I have sitting in the picture that’s been sitting for the past year or so?

Personally I'd use the stuff from the shed. I brewed with our of date yeast before and it turned out fine. I also used bread yeast once. It fermented alright but the result was a bit watery. If you could just so an extract brew and forget the grain you wouldn't have gone to too much trouble if it goes pear shaped.

mordeith wrote: »
    Personally I'd use the stuff from the shed. I brewed with our of date yeast before and it turned out fine. I also used bread yeast once. It fermented alright but the result was a bit watery. If you could just so an extract brew and forget the grain you wouldn't have gone to too much trouble if it goes pear shaped.

**** it I’ll do that

• Advertisement

Jesus lads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Found this in the cupboard, about four years old. I'm gonna start it today and it'll hopefully be done by the time the apples come in and we can start making cider.

509149.jpg

Jesus lads

Dude I get that you want perfection. In normal times I would too but to be fair we’re talking about something to keep busy as well as maybe getting a drinkable (not amazing) beer at the end of it.

What’s the worst that can happen? Sure I’m sitting around doing **** all anyway

HBC are still delivering, grab something off them.

HBC are still delivering, grab something off them.

Does it really bother you that much?

People drink piss like coors and bud etc all the time.

What I make with these leftovers will most likely be exceptional in comparison. Not hard I know but yeah it’ll be grand.

No not really but I just think it's a waste of time. Spend £15 more and you could have something decent. Wait until next month and do some elderflower wine if you something almost free.

No not really but I just think it's a waste of time. Spend £15 more and you could have something decent. Wait until next month and do some elderflower wine if you something almost free.

I'm currently drinking last years elderflower wine :-). Didn't turn out as sweet as previous batches but keeping me ticking over

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it was similar enough types of food I definitely would. i.e. it's not like he found a load of raw chicken. Its similar to dry rice or pasta. Lots of BB dates are really there more for marketing reasons.

I used bread yeast which was open and kept in the fridge which was years out of date and was still fine for both bread and cider, highly active. Others on various forums said the same about bread yeast (for bread, I did not check for cider etc).

I would far sooner be drinking beer made from those kits than elderflower wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

use the ingredients if you want nothing will kill you. you've done extract brews before I assume

Uue the LME and darker speciality grain and lash a good load of the old hops into the boil early (are the hops labelled?) unless they smell particularly cheesey.

Make a starter a day or two with the yeast and some sugar and then just use that in the beer

ferment it and taste in 2 weeks if it seems ok then bottle it when it's ready

i was reading a thing the other day where a fella halved a batch and used us05 in one half and bread yeast in the other half the bread yeast beer was drinkable and had a few belgiany notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Take the yeast from the shed and try starting some of it with half and half sugar and warm water. If it starts bubbling well within a few hours, its still viable.

If it's working, go ahead with a brew. Worst case, it'll give you something to do.
    Best case, you'll be pissed for a week before the lockdown is lifted! :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement