Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Baths demolishion/redevelopement

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

erm, you kind of did...
    kbannon wrote: »
    But they are opening a pool, bar and restaurant?!?!?!
    The local authority may not have questioned the subject of membership or charging but should that have been a factor in the planning permission?
    yes it should.

was the planning dependent on paid-public swimming if not why not?
    Why should it have been?

because they got their restaurant and bar because of the baths so they should run its as paid-public swimming pool, thats what the deal should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

erm, you kind of did...
    yes I said they should not that they did.

Whatever!
    Anyhow, as much as I learned to dislike Cullen years ago, his company hasn't done anything incorrect here so far.
    They've developed something which was neglected long before he bought it. It will bring some more recreational activity to the area.
    There have been many developments in and around Clontarf that should never have happened (for some reason Westwood springs to mind). I don't think the baths redevelopment is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The baths are not operational as far as I am concerned... bring your own insurance... what next... bring your own water?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The baths are not operational as far as I am concerned... bring your own insurance... what next... bring your own water?
    That's the point we're discussing.
    With insurance and whatever else, it is too expensive to allow the great unwashed in so for the interim only clubs with their own insurance will be able to use the pool. Everyone though can use the bar and cafe.
    This is time limited AFAIK.
    The council are not willing to cough up to allow the pool to open to the public so if you're not in an insured swimming club then you can only watch from the bar.

• Advertisement

I guess it hinges on whether a pool only open to private clubs is open as per the planning permission conditions... insurance is a legal requirement. The pool does not have it ergo it is closed.

Is a restaurant open to private parties only really open...

Times like this I regret not studying law.

The permission from ABP had the following conditions in terms of being open:
    3) The opening hours of the restaurant/café bar shall be from 08:00 to 23:30 Monday to Sunday.
    Reason: In the interests of orderly development.
    My understanding is that the restaurant/bar is open to all. The pool isn't!

Update on the Clontarf.IE site about this...
    The enforcement section of Dublin City Council will be visiting the Baths this week to inspect the development and they will make a determination as to whether or not the development is in accordance with or in breach of its Planning Permission. We will update residents on the outcome of that visit as soon as that information becomes available to us.

https://www.clontarf.ie/news/update-from-cra-on-clontarf-baths

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m surprised Clontarf residents have not objected to f@cking Christmas at this stage because none of them believe in Santa’s superpowers! They are a miserable lot!! :rolleyes:

I’m surprised Clontarf residents have not objected to f@cking Christmas at this stage because none of them believe in Santa’s superpowers! They are a miserable lot!! :rolleyes:

Its a total bait and switch...they only got PP for the restaurant as they said they needed it to fund the pool... then they pull this no insurance scam with the pool.

Clontarf people are just paying attention, seems like nobody else in this country, maybe not even the taoiseach, gives a damn about planning conditions.

We shoulda built a bigger wall not against the sea but everyone else! Clontarfexit

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Its a total bait and switch...they only got PP for the restaurant as they said they needed it to fund the pool... then they pull this no insurance scam with the pool.

Clontarf people are just paying attention, seems like nobody else in this country, maybe not even the taoiseach, gives a damn about planning conditions.

We shoulda built a bigger wall not against the sea but everyone else! Clontarfexit

But it’s the fact that Clontarf residents get angry when they want to build a wall against the sea that will eventually engulf them. They also get angry when they build that wall too high so the car drivers can’t see the sea on their way into work.

They complain when someone wants to build homes in their back yard when there’s a housing shortage using geese as their latest excuse for not to build.

They get angry when they try to put homeless people near them, god forbid!

The only justifiable complaint Clontarf have had in recent years is the trees along Fairview Park/reducing two lanes to one instead. Everything else is just people with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do. Get a friggin life Clontarf!!

But it’s the fact that Clontarf residents get angry when they want to build a wall against the sea that will eventually engulf them. They also get angry when they build that wall too high so the car drivers can’t see the sea on their way into work.

There are no houses along the stretch in question, nobody wanted a wall built there and the area hasn't flooded from the sea since the Bull Island formed 150 years ago. There are parts of the country crying out for flood defences. And then to top it all off, DCC screw up the finishing and height of the wall.
    They complain when someone wants to build homes in their back yard when there’s a housing shortage using geese as their latest excuse for not to build.

The site in question is completely unsuitable for the proposed development and its zoning was never intended to allow a primarily residential development, which this is. Plus the geese, apparently.

2 million to temporarily house 13 homeless families when the same money would have permanently housed them is bonkers.

Yet when Clontarf people mention this they are angry busybodies with too much time on their hands. Utter tosh. If we had a properly run city we wouldn't have to be complaining about the bonkers stuff that goes on.

On the southside the DART line floods because there's no sea defences and nobody bats an eyelid, they push in some of the world's highest building standards to deter building on their landbanks, and blow 36 million on a library... but in the papers it's always Clontarf this and Clontarf that.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

The only justifiable complaint Clontarf have had in recent years is the trees along Fairview Park/reducing two lanes to one instead. Everything else is just people with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do. Get a friggin life Clontarf!!

Before you start commenting on the objections "using geese" you really should inform yourself of the actual issues, rather than picking up on headline from a building industry funded publication.

onimpulse wrote: »
    Before you start commenting on the objections "using geese" you really should inform yourself of the actual issues, rather than picking up on headline from a building industry funded publication.

I read it on Clontarf.ie actually.
    - it does not adequately address biodiversity issues including the impact the development would have on the Brent geese.

The objectors are obviously getting pretty desperate at this stage. I see those geese grazing everytime I walk on the avenue. I also see them graze on any grass areas all along the Dublin coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I read it on Clontarf.ie actually.

The objectors are obviously getting pretty desperate at this stage. I see those geese grazing everytime I walk on the avenue. I also see them graze on any grass areas all along the Dublin coastline.

My point is that you are being selective and disingenuous picking that argument.

There are numerous reasons this site is not fit for development and the geese while one of them are in my opinion the least compelling reason this application should be refused.

But carry on... why let the facts get in the way..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

DCC have launched an investigation into whether planning permission has been breached.

Clontarf baths may breach planning rules
    Owners of the 132-year-old Clontarf baths, recently refurbished at a cost of €2.4 million, could be breaking the conditions of their planning permission by failing to open the outdoor seawater pool at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

In the future, an explorer will find this island empty, with ashes swirling across the dead land like will-o'-the-wisps and nothing standing except for a giant monument engraved with the words: "An investigation has been launched."

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Anyone heard anymore on if or when the pool might open be an awful shame if it didnt open this summer

checky88 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anymore on if or when the pool might open be an awful shame if it didnt open this summer

It's all gone quiet on that front of late... the local councillors focus is on the St Annes development.
    Plus, on a sunny weekend afternoon, you'd have to be pretty confident to be in the pool with everyone on the terrace sipping pints*, G&Ts and what not and gawping at you.

* Disclaimer, I may be one of those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

sugarman wrote: »
    Why hasnt it opened do you know?

Insurance issues for the pool it seems

• Advertisement

Talking to one of the busy bodies earlier in the week. They’re waiting for the council decision about whether they are breaching planning or not.

Visited the place a few weeks ago and the pool doesn’t look that inviting to be honest. Big rubber duck plonked in the middle. The actual restaurant missed a trick by putting a big partition between the diners and the sea, blocking most of their view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Seeing as planning permission was granted for a restaurant and pool, the restaurant should be closed immediately by the council until such time that the pool is opened by the owner.
    It is quite obvious that he never had any intention of opening the pool, but pretending that he would must have been the only way to get planning permission to develop the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I walked in last weekend to take a look around. It's very bright and light, and looked great in the sunshine. Didn't try the food, so can't comment.

As a previous poster said, I'm not sure how the pool and restaurant together will work. I don't think swimmers would want to be gawked at by diners and drinkers while swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is there anyone swimming there, even clubs members ?

New Battle of Clontarf Baths as DCC opens investigation ( has it i thought they had 6 months to a year)
    https://www.businesspost.ie/news/new-battle-clontarf-baths-dcc-opens-investigation-418677

article says there a number of other building breaches of planning eg size of restaurant

presume these docs will online next week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're not in compliance with planning on a new or extended pub, your declaratory order for the drink licence is invalid... This could get messy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Some of the above comments are a bit strange. I actually couldn't give a fiddlers if people see me in a pool, surely that's the case with every pool in the world, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh I wouldn't mind it either. Lots of restaurants overlook bathing and swimming areas in pool and beaches in lots of european holiday resorts , I don't think it s a big deal and well if it is to you then nobody is forcing you to swim there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Just about every beach resort I've been to and a good chunk of pool facilities, even here in Ireland, are in full public view. Even indoor pools often have large windows or glass walls around them, and even eating/drinking facilities facing onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

is there anyone swimming there, even clubs members ?

Nope, it's not fit for purpose at the moment. I was there a few weeks ago for a nose and there was work going on poolside but the water that is in the pool is dirty so no possibility of anyone swimming there for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

I certainly didn't think there would ever be baths. they don't want that. Just clean the water.. Put in some nice lights and a fountain. And let's all move on. :)

Advertisement