Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 26: Pear, Almond and Toffee Tart

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

This is a tart that my wife bakes for occasions. The reason for the delay is that I needed to get her to make one to get some photos. My original idea was a cold curried chicken for salads but we havent made that either and there has been a great selection of curried related recipes here anyway.

This really is a nice tart and is worth the effort. I am not a major tart / desert person but this always does the trick. It is very popular with friends etc. The recipe is based on a recipe from the book from Roly's Bistro and that is the same book that we got the recipe for my cookery club submission last year. Yes, we have lots of other books but that one is probably the one we have got most use out of over the years.

The recipe has 3 parts: Pastry Base, Toffee & Frangipane followed by a glaze at the end.

You will need:
    185g butter
    70g icing sugar
    2 medium sized eggs
    320g cream flour
    (The following ingredients are for the Frangipane)
    125g unsalted butter
    125g caster sugar
    3 whole eggs, medium sized
    120g ground almonds
    25g self-raising flour
    ½ teaspoon almond essence
    20g chopped almonds

To make the Almond Tart:
    Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer. Add eggs gradually for 2 minutes, then flour. When a pale yellow dough has formed, stop machine, wrap pastry in cling film and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
    Line a deep 20.5cm circular flan dish or tin with the pastry.

img5349jg.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2012-07-01

To make the Toffee:
    Submerge a tin of condensed milk in a pot full of water and boil for 3 hours. (Ensure you keep it covered as pressure can build up in the can!) Allow to cool overnight. Open the tin and spread a good layer on to the base of the pastry and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
    Alternatively, use a tin of Nestle caramel - no need to boil etc.
    img5350a.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2012-07-01

To make the Frangipane:
    Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ Gas mark 4. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs and essence and stir in all the dry ingredients until you have a heavy paste. Spread frangipane on top of the toffee, filling the tart about three-quarters of the way up the pastry.
    img5351dk.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2012-07-01

Evenly distribute the pears on top of the tart and bake for 55-60 minutes.

img5352u.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2012-07-01

Remove the tart from the oven and spread immediately with the hot glaze. The hot glaze is made by mixing together 100g of apricot jam with 30g of water heated in microwave & spread with pastry brush.

img5353xj.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2012-07-01

The tart can be served with cream, vanilla ice-cream or simply enjoyed on its own.
    img5354p.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2012-07-01

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thanks for sharing this recipe, I'll try my hand at making one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'm thinking of making this tomorrow. I take it this recipe makes one tart, and not three as per photo?
    Also, the pears, do they need to be ripe or any will do? This was left out from the list of ingredients.
    And one last thing, what's the chopped almonds for? I didn't notice you put any in your tart filling or garnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I finally got around to make this today. I'm not a huge fan of almond essence so I used vanilla extract instead. The tart sank a bit in the centre, even after it's cooled completely.
    Overall this is a tasty treat, but next time I will omit the caramel as it was a little bit too sweet. Thanks for the recipe OP!

cbdfed22f329317d2c06585d1b0bca99_zps6b056ffa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Bumping this recipe as I don't think it got enough attention when it was posted originally :)

I've made this tart a few times for various occasions over the years and it's always been popular with those who have tried it. It's one of my mother's favourites and she requested it (again) for yesterday's dessert.

506708.jpg

Only 4 pear halves in the tin this time, I think I'll have to chop them up in future for better distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Roald Dahl

This was a lovely tart, although I did have to make a few little changes, base on what I had available.

I had to make do with the case made with only half the specified amount of flour. I didn't have almond essence or condensed milk, so I used a nice strawberry jam instead.

I also found that it had already fully browned in my oven at the midway point, so for the second half I covered it with tinfoil.

We really enjoyed this and will definitely be making it again.

CC-2012-26-Pear-and-Almond-Tart.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement