Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 37: Mini Victoria Sandwich Cakes

Options
  • 26-04-2012 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Mini Victoria Sandwich Cakes

This recipe is a real favourite in our house! It is so simple, yet oh so delicious!:) You don’t need to worry about getting a specific tin, I used a bun/muffin tin and it turned out beautifully. If you want, you can use the all-in-one method and beat all of the ingredients together in a bowl. I prefer to cream the butter and sugar, gradually beat in the eggs, and then fold in the flour, but it doesn’t make a huge difference-I suppose I’m a bit traditional in that sense;) If you prefer to make the normal size of Victoria sandwich, just copy this recipe exactly, but instead of the muffin tin, use two 8’’ round sandwich tins!

Here are the ingredients:

Victoria Sandwich ingredients:

200g Self-raising flour
    200g Butter
    200g Caster Sugar
    1 level tsp. Baking powder
    4 eggs
    2 Tbsp. milk
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract/1.5 tsp. Vanilla essence

Filling:

125g Butter
    175g Icing sugar
    A few drops of Vanilla extract/essence
    3-4 tbsp. Raspberry/Strawberry/etc. Jam

STEP 1:

Pre-heat the oven to 180◦C/160◦C fan/Gas 4, and grease the tin. I also flour the greased tin and it makes a huge difference-nothing will stick to it! Measure out the ingredients.

STEP 2:

Beat the butter for around 1 minute, and then beat in the sugar gradually until the mixture become lightly pale and fluffy.

STEP 3:

Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and beat in the eggs, one by one. Then, beat in the vanilla. If the mixture curdles, you can add a bit of flour if you want but you don’t really need to worry!

STEP 4:

Sieve in the flour, baking powder and add the milk. Fold into the mixture.

STEP 5:

Once the flour has been folded in, add dessertspoonfuls into the bun tin, and place into the oven for 20 minutes.

STEP 6:

Nyom, nyom, nyom- It’s lick the spoon and bowl time!! :D

STEP 7:

Once the 20 minutes are up, take the cakes out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins.

cc2ec.jpg

STEP 8:

Then, turn them out on a wire tray.

cc3t.jpg

STEP 9:

While cooling, measure out the ingredients for the buttercream (Instead of buttercream, there is no problem using cream if you prefer).

cc1cb.jpg

STEP 10:

Beat the butter to soften it, and then gradually add the icing sugar and vanilla until it becomes paler and creamily fluffy!

STEP 11:

Once the cakes are cool, and I stress COOL(!!), cut them in half and spread a teaspoon of jam on the bottom half, and a teaspoon of buttercream on the top half and sandwich together. I managed to make 12, you could make more if you wish but I like big cakes, not ones you need a magnifying glass for ;) Repeat this procedure 11 times. If you can last without nibbling at the buttercream(or in my case gulping it down), I applaud you! ;) Dredge them with icing sugar!

STEP 12:

Violà! Bain taitneamh as! :)

cc4y.jpg

Presentation note:

I made this one for my Mammy;) Just one scoop of Vanilla ice-cream, with a sprig of mint, and dots of fruit coulis. The coulis is simple to make: Just add a large handful of raspberries into a blender, pulse a few times, add 1-2 tbsp. of icing sugar, pulse again and chill in the fridge!

cc5p.jpg

I really hope you enjoy this recipe!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

We have a stand in covering this week. They look savage, hopefully the OP is still browsing, I see they've since closed their account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

They look yummy, can't wait to try them.

Just one question - can they be put in the fridge once the buttercream/cream/jam has been put on them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes, but putting sponge in the fridge will make it go stale very quickly. Buttercream doesn't need refrigeration, but fresh cream does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Faith wrote: »
    Yes, but putting sponge in the fridge will make it go stale very quickly. Buttercream doesn't need refrigeration, but fresh cream does.
    I hadn't realised buttercream didn't need to be refrigerated, thanks for that info.

How would the butter cream stay fresh? Would you store it in an airtight container in a dry cool cupboard?

It's butter and icing sugar. The sugar acts as a preservative. Obviously it won't last indefinitely, but you'd get a few days out of it. Keep it out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources and it'll be grand. Put it in an airtight container if you'd prefer.

• Advertisement

I made these today and they're delicious! Mine are a little heavier than I'd ideally like, but that's not a fault of the recipe. I have no mixer and I have a short attention span, so I probably didn't cream the butter and sugar enough. I'd take a picture, only as soon as one makes it to a plate, I shove it in my mouth :o.

They're a fab alternative to a big Victoria Sponge which is too much for 2 people. I'm keeping them whole and cutting them only as I'm about to eat them, which helps them stay fresh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We made these to go with a birthday afternoon tea and they were lovely. Their dainty size made them ideal for it. :)

CC-2012-37-Mini-Victoria-Sandwich-Cakes.jpg

They were made in a bun tray rubbed with a little butter.

Advertisement