Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeropress recipe tips

Options
  • 09-06-2020 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi all. I recently purchased an Aeropress along with a Baratza Encore grinder. I'm really enjoying the flexibility I get from the grinder and brew a mix of Moka Pot/Aeropress/French Press.

I've had the Aeropress a month now and the coffee has been good but not great. The beans I've been using have been a mix of WCC and Coffee Angel. Can't help but feeling I'm missing a trick. For now, a good french press is tasting better than a good Aeropress for me, which I know shouldn't be the case.

Are there any recipes or tips that people swear by? I've tried a number of different ones I've found online but nothing has been amazing yet.

Using setting 12 on the Encore BTW.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I use the encore on a 10 but mine is a couple of years old. I dose about 17.5g of coffee to the fill of the aeropress which is a heavier dose than most I believe.

I cover the ground beans and leave for a few seconds then fill up and still with an inverted spoon. I stir again after about 1.5min and leave for another 1.5min. Works for me.

I do prefer the aeropress generally tho myself. Just fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I use the encore on a 10 but mine is a couple of years old. I dose about 17.5g of coffee to the fill of the aeropress which is a heavier dose than most I believe.

I cover the ground beans and leave for a few seconds then fill up and still with an inverted spoon. I stir again after about 1.5min and leave for another 1.5min. Works for me.

I do prefer the aeropress generally tho myself. Just fyi.

Good stuff. Presume you use the inverted method then so?

Nope. Missionary for me.

Nope. Missionary for me.

Does all the coffee not drip through after 3 mins?

Not at all no. I'm using a stainless filter though. If that's happening you it would indicate that you're not grinding fine enough, not dosing enough, or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I found the paper filters took all the oils out meaning my coffee was too smooth, I like a bit of bitterness or bite to it.

When I started using the metal filters (various mesh sizes) I had a nicer cup of coffee, bit of a bite to it!

And I recommend the invert method

Not at all no. I'm using a stainless filter though. If that's happening you it would indicate that you're not grinding fine enough, not dosing enough, or both.

Class. I'll go a bit finer with the grind tomorrow and see how I get on. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I dose about 16g to 18g depending on the bean, at about a 12/13 on the encore (7 months old), inverted method and fill it (about 250ml). I also do the "bloom" with about double the ml:g and then fill up i find the bloom is necessary to get the full 250ml into the press especially for really fresh beans

I'm using a stainless filter too as it happens and brew for about 3 mins

I dose about 16g to 18g depending on the bean, at about a 12/13 on the encore (7 months old), inverted method and fill it (about 250ml). I also do the "bloom" with about double the ml:g and then fill up i find the bloom is necessary to get the full 250ml into the press especially for really fresh beans

I'm using a stainless filter too as it happens and brew for about 3 mins

What makes you decide whether to go 16g or 18g?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

barrac wrote: »
    What makes you decide whether to go 16g or 18g?

a couple of brews with the bean

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the tips guys. I'm happy to be drinking a much nicer cup of coffee now with the longer brew time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you have an android phone there's an app called aeroprecipe that has all sorts of combinations (put togethers using James Hoffman's dice method) to make aeropress coffee in different way.

It'll suggest a weight, a type of grind, a bloom time, stir/or not, how much extra water, inverted or normal.

I'm a fan of Hoffman's method for making a very strong one. Inverted about half way in (a little over), about 18g, reasonably fine grind, a little bit of water and a gentle stir. a minute or so, a bit more water. Cap on, invert and slowly press.

Add water after wards to your own taste.

Advertisement