Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Cooking Club Week 19: Hot-Smoked Salmon and Potato Salad

• 10-05-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the delay folks! After much deliberation, I have decided to post a simple salad for my turn this week. I'm pretty sure I came across this recipe online after seeing a very similar one in a Gordon Ramsey book, and quite enjoyed it. It might not be to everyones taste, but I hope some enjoy it.

I hope the portion sizes are right, however, for this salad I usually go with gut instinct rather than defined amounts. So my apologies if my estimates are way out (EDIT: Have already made some adjustments :P ). It is a salad, so I'm hoping I can't make a complete mockery of it.

This salad can be eaten or warm or cold. I think it make a nice addition to a BBQ due to the smoky salmon and mustard, but is quite nice alone and filling due to the potatoes. Very easy to scale up. Good recipe for the current season, especially if we are lucky enough to be blessed with some more good weather.

Spicy food lovers could add more chilli or cayenne pepper to the mix. But even if you are not into spicy food, I have never found this to be particularly hot as it well distributed throughout the salad.

Ingredients (serves 2):

Salad

Hot-smoked Salmon 150-g
    Baby New Potatoes x 12
    Asparagus Tips 50g
    A bag of watercress + rocket (or similar)
    Bunch of parsley
    Bunch of mint
    Dill (optional)
    Radishes (can be left out)
    2 spring onions

Dressing
    Lemon Juice 2tbsp
    80ml olive oil
    1tsp of wholegrain mustard
    1 red chilli
    Salt and Pepper

Method
    1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Should take around 10-15 minutes. Add the asparagus for 2 minutes close to the end, any longer and they'll turn to mush. Once down, allow to cool. You don't want them to be piping hot in the salad, but warm tastes just fine.
    2. Deseed and dice the red chilli. Add the chilli and the other dressing ingredients together and whisk with your fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper. You probably won't need much of either, as the smoked salmon and wholegrain mustard have a great taste themselves.
    3. Take a knife your herbs, spring onions and radishes. Cut the baby potatoes in half, break the salmon into sizable chunks (removing the skin if you like). Toss all you ingredients together. And, naturally, toss your dressing through the salad and pour over to get your salad.

The recipe is rather simple, and modification can be found. The Gordon Ramsay recipe I originally saw had the addition of whiskey and honey to the dressing, but lacked the mint (which I find really goes well). Red onions could also be added.

I already have a fillet of lamb waiting to be cooked tonight, but will probably make this myself tomorrow night. So will add photos.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

How did you cook the salmon or do you just buy it cooked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

irishbird wrote: »
    How did you cook the salmon or do you just buy it cooked ?

I buy it cooked, you'll usually find it most supermarkets with other pre-packed fish.

Note the word hot. There are a few types of smoking food. I'm not expert on smoking, but Wikipedia lists 3 types: Hot Smoking, Smoke Roasting and Cold Smoking.

Hot Smoked Salmon is cooked already. You get a lovely flavour depending on the wood the smoked the fish with, and as it has no preparation, is perfect for a quick salad.

There are probably a few boardsies who know a thing or 2 about hot smoking, as it is the more DIY-friendly method.

So, TL;DR I don't cook hot-smoke the Salmon myself, I buy it ready to use. But I would love to give the hot-smoking method a try at some stage. If you're feeling up to it, here is one thread talking about home-made bbq smoker boxes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65471659

Ouh! This sounds interesting. I'm gonna give it a bash without the salmon.
    Where do you find your watercress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Ouh! This sounds interesting. I'm gonna give it a bash without the salmon.
    Where do you find your watercress?

I often find the bagged variety in the fridge at a Superquinn around the corner from me. Sometimes it's mixed with other varieties.

Rocket (although not that similar) also goes well and should be found bagged nearly everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi Procrastinator

I made this last night and it was lovely. Thanks! This is what it turned out like:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I made this with smoked trout rather then salmon and it way yummmy. thanks!

Forgot to take a photo of it though. sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Has this on Tuesday with a nice bottle of wine.

nXWgYl.jpg
    mmm mmm mm. Will defo make this again. Was light, tasty, fresh and filling. What salads should be I suppose.

The spuds aren't in the pic as we had a bowl of them (sauted in butter and olive oil with garlic, rosemary, sea salt and black pepper) on the table and spooned them on.

Added some yellow pepper and cherry tomatoes just cos we like them and left out the asparagus cos I forgot it :p

I wouldn't really have thought of putting mint and parsley into a salad but it worked out very nicely and it's given me a few ideas.... like a spring lamb salad - lamb, mint, lambs lettuce (obviously), cranberries and a light cream dressing...

The dressing was lovely will be tweaking it and trying with some other salads too.

Thanks Procasinator, great recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Roald Dahl

This is a great recipe!

I've already made it a couple of times and will be making it again soon. We have actually had it as a mains, but I can definitely also see it working well as a side dish for a barbeque.

The mint, dill, lemon Juice, wholegrain mustard and chilli make a really tasty dressing.

CC-2010-19-Smoked-Salmon-and-Potato-Salad.jpg

Advertisement