Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2011 Cooking Club Week 41: Coffee Cake

Options
  • 17-10-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

This is my take on the classic coffee cake. It's a single layer cake (so no sandwich tins needed), covered with a coffee mascarpone icing and scattered with chopped walnuts to decorate. The buttermilk in the recipe produces a nice moist cake, which keeps well. I use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment, but a handheld mixer will work fine, as will a wooden spoon and a lot of elbow grease. :)

Ingredients:

For the cake:
    175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
    275g caster sugar
    2 large eggs, at room temperature
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
    100ml buttermilk
    260g plain flour
    pinch salt
    1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

For the icing:
    120g mascarpone
    120g full fat cream cheese
    100g icing sugar, sifted
    1/2 tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1/2 tbsp hot water
    50g walnuts, chopped (to decorate)

Right, so firstly prepare the cake tin. I use a 20cm round springform tin. Grease the bottom and sides and line the bottom with parchment paper. When you are finished cutting out the circle to line the tin, don't throw away the scraps of parchment paper. You can use them later when you're icing the cake.

178279.png

Also, preheat the oven. 160C fan, 180C conventional. Keep the cream cheese and mascarpone in the fridge until you are ready to make the icing.

178280.png

Sift the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda together. Set aside. Beat the butter until soft and then gradually add the caster sugar, beating all the time. Beat until well combined. You want it to be light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract and dissolved coffee. Make sure no undissolved bits get into the mixture (I usually pour the coffee into the bowl through a sieve).

178281.png

Next, add 1/3 of the buttermilk while mixing at a low speed. When it has been combined, add 1/3 of the flour. Mix until just combined. Repeat with the rest of the buttermilk and flour, until the final 1/3 of the flour is added.

178282.png

Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin, smooth the top and pop in the oven. Bake for about 1 hr. The baking time will depend on your oven and the size of your tin. You'll know it's done when a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

178283.png

Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. If you are using a tin with a removable bottom, remove it now, but you can leave the parchment lining in place until cooled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

When the cake is cooled, make the icing. Beat the mascarpone and cream cheese together briefly until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating all the time. Add the dissolved coffee. The mixture will look quite runny, like this:

178284.png

Increase the speed of the mixer, and beat until the icing becomes thicker. When you lift the paddle or whisk out of the bowl, the icing will cling to it, and not drip.

178285.png

Place the cake on a plate or cake stand. Get the bits of parchment paper left over from lining the tin and place around the cake. Scrape the icing onto the centre of the cake in one big heap.

178286.png

Using a palette knife, or a spatula, or whatever you have, smooth the icing out, from the centre, to cover the top and sides of the cake. It's hard to get a nice smooth finish, so I usually swirl the knife around a bit and pretend it's supposed to look all uneven.
    178287.png

Scatter the chopped walnuts over the cake, and use your fingers to stick some on the sides of the cake. Remove the parchment paper carefully. Stand back and gaze in wonder and awe at what you have created. ;)

178288.png

Eat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Looks delightful. Looking forward to giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I really want to lick the bowl in the first post!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Excellent. Looking forward to attempting this.

Always good to see Cooking Club pics of the processor in motion. :pac: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

I'm very much a lurker around here and love reading all the different recipes so I thought I'd try my hand at this one as I love Coffee Cake. It tasted amazing, everyone else in the house also loved it and already have requests to make more. thanks for the great recipe, here's a couple of pics:

A8A21D635C974554B9FE996FDEDEBCA5-0000347633-0002606541-00500L-3E8CEE40975A4CDFA6629ADDF5062989.jpg

D0966C727AD24BC9A6F35ED74E727F63-0000347633-0002606540-00500L-4BB656E799944A2B9A69EFD72DEBCF6B.jpg

Went a bit mad on the walnuts just because I had loads in the cupboard :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

There's a serious imbalance in the world - I had no walnuts at all, but it tastes lovely.

I used proper strong espresso for the coffee and the coffee flavour really comes through.
    Thanks @senelra

CoffeeCake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

dvpower wrote: »
    There's a serious imbalance in the world - I had no walnuts at all, but it tastes lovely.

I used proper strong espresso for the coffee and the coffee flavour really comes through.
    Thanks @senelra

CoffeeCake.jpg

Lol! I love that we can see the fire in the background in that pic, it makes it all look so warm and cozy. Large mug of tea, large slice of Coffee Cake and the fire lit.... Heaven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

wow that looks amazing i am going to have to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

This is how my one turned out:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=11343

Mine didn't rise much for some reason and seems to be slightly underdone. Ah well. I made mine with that IREL stuff. I bought a bottle of it ages ago and had been meaning to make some sort of coffee cake for some time. So, the perfect opportunity! :pac:

Thanks, senalra.

This is how my one turned out:
    Mine didn't rise much for some reason and seems to be slightly underdone. Ah well. I made mine with that IREL stuff. I bought a bottle of it ages ago and had been meaning to make some sort of coffee cake for some time. So, the perfect opportunity! :pac:

Thanks, senalra.

Hope it still tasted ok! I'm not sure what could have happened.... maybe it just needed a bit longer in the oven, though it's odd that it didn't rise much.

Thanks for trying it out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

senelra wrote: »
    Hope it still tasted ok! I'm not sure what could have happened.... maybe it just needed a bit longer in the oven, though it's odd that it didn't rise much.

Thanks for trying it out :)

It was lovely, don't get me wrong! :) I guess I did something wrong so that it didn't rise but the way it's slightly what I guess is underdone (ie, the dark patches) doesn't harm it at all.

Anyway, it'll be put to the test tomorrow when me and Mrs. Alex both bring some of it into work! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Finally got around to baking this last night- it has been eaten before I got to take pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Made this on Friday for my boyfriend's birthday and it was sensational. I cannot get over how gorgeous it was and everyone else thought so too. I made a bit of a balls on following the recipe but it was still perfect. Here is the birthday boy blowing out the candles. Apologies for the blurring.. it's an action shot.:)

jayandcake.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Feckin' lovely cake. Well worth making. Not too sweet, great texture, it has it all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made this yesterday. It was great, almost all gone now. Not overly sweet and not too coffeey ish (might try different coffee next time). Thanks, OP. :) Only took 30 minutes in the oven and even then it was almost a little overdone - put it in again with some tinfoil on top to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Made this last weekend. Absolute heaven.
    :pac::pac:
    Am drooling at the memory.

Thank you to everyone for the nice comments and feedback. I'm so excited that you are all giving the recipe a try!

:)

Going to make this again shortly.

Went back to this one recently. Feedback was good. :)

And again. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement