Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallins

Options
  • 05-08-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at options of purchasing a home in Sallins.
    Came across this article in the journal and would like to get some local opinions on if it's sensationalized or realistic.

Also, the main housing area that seems to be for sale is Willouise, does anyone have any experience with this estate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Its "The Journal" - need you know anymore :)

Yes some trains can be full as some are coming from Cork, you just need to find the ones that generally have the capacity but more services are coming on stream and the current work from home situation will continue to have an effect and by the time it goes back to the volumes of last year, new rolling stock will have arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

silver2020 wrote: »
    Yes some trains can be full as some are coming from Cork, you just need to find the ones that generally have the capacity but more services are coming on stream and the current work from home situation will continue to have an effect and by the time it goes back to the volumes of last year, new rolling stock will have arrived

There are no trains coming from Cork that stop in Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

That's good to hear that commuting etc shouldn't be a problem realistically.

Any reccomendations on estates, I've seen willouise for sale often along with other estates. Willouise seems the most attractive with current help to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't live in Sallins nor use the train daily, but I know a few who do and they all say it is a nightmare. Generally you will get a space but you will be standing for the entire journey squashed up against other people who are standing too, this was all before Covid obviously so not sure what it is like currently or how it will be in a few months time. You can forget about parking at the train station either, a few months ago I had to attend an event in Dublin and was due to get the train from Sallins around 11am, could not get a space anywhere and all of the housing estates had signs up saying not to park there. Ended up missing my train and parked the car in an estate the other side of Sallins and got the next one up.

Apart from that I like Sallins as an area, some nice estates and some good restaurants/pubs, very close to Naas which has everything you would need. Not sure if you have kids or not but apparently it is tough to get a place in some of the schools which might be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Back a few years ago it was the Sallins brothels that people were worrying about

• Advertisement

Thanks Ferris, that's good info.
    It certaily does seem to tick a lot of boxes on the amenities front and the train line is an massive attraction for commuting.
    A lot to consider there for a post covid time in the town.
    Schools etc would be a concern in the future alright, I think we'll have to weight up options at other towns nearby too

hurikane wrote: »
    Back a few years ago it was the Sallins brothels that people were worrying about

and the chicken ranch in Milltown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I do know someone who lived in Willlouise and commuted by train.

They loved it, an easy walk to the pub and a good restaurant, friendly clubs and societies etc: also their apartment was very well built and warm.

The place was too small for their family and they moved to Oldtown, just down the road towards Naas.
    But the Willouise-train thing had worked very well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I live in Sallins, and am from the area originally, so might be a bit biased...

Sallins is a growing village with a really good atmosphere. It is close to Naas - you can walk into the town in about 20-25 minutes along the main road, or a bit longer if you want to wander in via the canal. In Sallins you have the advantage of being able to slip in and out of Naas without paying for the premium that properties in Naas command over those in Sallins.

Yes, the three pubs are very good, Two Cooks restaurant has a Michelin bib, and there is a very active GAA club and soccer club. The scouts are getting a new den in the village this year, and the proposed Grand Canal Greenway will bring more people and life through the place. At the end of this year the new by-pass should be open and this will transform a village which can get strangled by traffic in the mornings and evenings - although since the COVID-19 crisis started traffic has naturally died down.

Travel-wise, its very handy for everywhere. You can drive to Dublin very easily, with the M50 just twenty minutes away via the M7. Likewise, you can be in Kilkenny in an hour, Limerick in about 90 minutes, or Athlone in about an hour. The train station is within easy walking distance of all of the housing estates in the village, and there are loads of trains to and from Heuston - or even Connolly via the Phoenix Park tunnel. As mentioned above, in "normal" times, you may have to stand for the duration of your journey. However, the express trains take just twenty minutes to get to Dublin so its not really an issue. Parking is always a problem though, although Iarnród Éireann are apparently dealing with it.

I can't really comment on Willouise, as I don't live there. However, they look like tiny houses with hardly any usable storage and almost non-existent gardens. Wouldn't be for me. But, they seem to be selling well when they do become available. I'm not sure what's happening with it, but that estate has taken years to get to where it is now, with no sign of it being finished anytime soon...

Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks Anatom that's very helpful.
    We've heard from a few folks that the houses in Willouise are very small etc but the 4 beds are large enough and have a the option to build into the attic for a 5th bedroom in the future. Seem big enough for us right now anyway.
    You make a good point about the houses taking so long to be finished, I'm not sure if they are just building as demand comes in to make sure they aren't left with a ghost estate or what the intention is there.

Sounds like Sallins as a nice place to be, just need to ensure that Willouise is the right housing estate for us.

• Advertisement

Thanks Anatom that's very helpful.
    We've heard from a few folks that the houses in Willouise are very small etc but the 4 beds are large enough and have a the option to build into the attic for a 5th bedroom in the future. Seem big enough for us right now anyway.
    You make a good point about the houses taking so long to be finished, I'm not sure if they are just building as demand comes in to make sure they aren't left with a ghost estate or what the intention is there.

Sounds like Sallins as a nice place to be, just need to ensure that Willouise is the right housing estate for us.

Looking at the plans, the 4 beds and 5 beds are identical except the 5 beds have the attic converted already and adds an extra 400 sq ft for an extra €40k

The 5 beds also seem to have bigger gardens.

If you can push to the 465k, i'd be going for the 5 beds and try and get one with the extra large gardens for that price. - There's a little wriggle room in the market and whilst they may not want to discount off the headline price, you could haggle the large site for that price.

The extra 400+ sq ft will cost an extra €150 a month on a 30 year mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Willouise is very handy for the village in fairness. Its less than a five minute walk to the nearest pub, and the kids (if you have any) can safely walk to the local primary school in less than ten minutes. There are also buses to the local secondary schools in Naas (and even Newbridge College I think) every morning from the village centre.

Best of luck with it..!

silver2020 wrote: »
    There's a little wriggle room in the market and whilst they may not want to discount off the headline price, you could haggle the large site for that price.

I spotted some of the last ones to be built will have bigger gardens alright, but they don't have a finish date for those at the moment most likely looking at mid-2021 or possibly later.
    They seem to sell in blocks and only start building the next 4/5 houses once the previous ones are sold. You're right though, probably worth enquiring about at the very least.

Cheers Anatom, also looks like the greenway that's being built will make the walk to the local primary school/train very easy with the bridge over the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Willouise is a lovely looking development and very handy alright.

However, if plot size is a problem, have a look in some of the established estates.

Sallins Bridge is just as handy and as it was built 20 years ago, the plot sizes are much bigger. There's also room for a big extension to the side to make a huge house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Higgeldy

Moved to Sallins Park 17 years ago, love it here. Nice quiet, well established estate, but given a choice, Sallins Bridge would be my choice. Lovely houses on big plots, well maintained vibe too. Great choice of restaurants, cafes and pubs, supervalue is handy and Lidl being close , along with 2 pharmacies etc, means we have everything we need, with the addition of a 5 min drive into Naas and 7 min walk to train. Few small things currently lacking, daughter got college place last year in Carlow, I didnt realise the train times down there ruled it out as option, and the rapid bus through Sallins to Naas missed the Carlow bus, we had a nightmare year. I stupidly assumed it would all work out.

But overall, love living here, Im lucky I drive to work, so dont face the train commute and cant comment on that.

Personally, I'd pick Sallins over Naas most days! Feels like best of both!

Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Looking at a view houses in Sallins at the moment, specifically Castlesize Vale and Sallins Park. The latter is significantly cheaper. Any comments on either area appreciated! The area in general looks nice, are there any 'no go' estates that folks wouldn't recommend?

Advertisement