Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I see the road from Main Street thriugh Liffey Terrace is closed until St. Parricks day to enable road restructuring and drainage for the area. Big inconvenience for residents as regards parking ECT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ando wrote: »
    That wall is unbelievable. Goes to show what type of people run Dunnes.. I'm sure they'll knock it if they feel they're losing money in the near future. It'll make them look silly though so they may keep it up even if they're losing money.. who knows. Silly immature playground acting

I left Newbridge a few years ago - where is the wall that everyone is talking about here?

As an aside, a decision is due on the planning application appeal for the land beside Roseberry Hill

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/249158.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I left Newbridge a few years ago - where is the wall that everyone is talking about here?

As an aside, a decision is due on the planning application appeal for the land beside Roseberry Hill

You use to be able to drive in to Dunnes carpark and drive straight over to DID,world of wonder, etc.

As soon as supervalu moved in to the old Atlantic homecare building Dunnes blocked up the wall so you now have to leave dunnes carpark and drive around the back and in to that retail park by its main entrance. Hope that makes sense.

Conspectus wrote: »
    You use to be able to drive in to Dunnes carpark and drive straight over to DID,world of wonder, etc.

As soon as supervalu moved in to the old Atlantic homecare building Dunnes blocked up the wall so you now have to leave dunnes carpark and drive around the back and in to that retail park by its main entrance. Hope that makes sense.

Yep makes perfect sense. Thanks! Seems like quite a silly move from Dunnes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

ando wrote:
    That wall is unbelievable. Goes to show what type of people run Dunnes..

Sure didn't they threaten to clamp their staff before if they parked their cars in the car park at Christmas when they were working.

• Advertisement

Progress is being made on the design of the long awaited Newbridge skate park.

Kildare County Council said last week that: “tenders have been received for the skate park and it is hoped to assess and award the work by the end of January. A start date for the work is dependent on when the successful contractor can start.â€

Last year, the location was approved by local councillors at Moorefield road at the green park area beside Woodies car park. 

Some residents of Moorefield Park raised concerns about the decision due to fears over possible anti-social behaviour, maintenance of the facility, parking, and the loss of the green space to the town.

However, campaigners said that because of the site's proximity to the main road, passive surveillance would prevent any anti-social behaviour.  Cllr Paddy Kennedy voted against the location and councillors all insisted at CCTV cameras being installed at the skate park to prevent any problems occurring. Once the contractor is selected, the design has to come back before the councillors for consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Thanks for the heads up on this CF. The date is tomorrow, how long does it take for the findings to be uploaded? I live in Roseberry Hill, and have a vested interest in the outcome here. They want to build almost 400 houses, and another 100 in the field opposite the entrance to RH yet for us to head off, we have to contend with a traffic light controlled single lane bridge? :eek:

Crazy set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

No appeal has been made against Lidl's development for the new distribution centre and a section of the relief road. Full planning permission has now been granted. I believe that Lidl already may have started the tendering process with total cost expected to be somewhere between €30-€35 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

richiek83 wrote: »
    No appeal has been made against Lidl's development for the new distribution centre and a section of the relief road. Full planning permission has now been granted. I believe that Lidl already may have started the tendering process with total cost expected to be somewhere between €30-€35 million.

Is there any info out there on when/if the rest of the relief road will be completed or how it will be funded?

No expected completion date. It is an objective of the Local Area Plan which runs to 2019. However, no commitment to completion date. Delivery will be expected to be done by the Private Sector (ie developers). A new bridge will be required over the Liffey and it is not clear who will fund this. KCC did put this new bridge (and possibly link road from Great Connell towards Liffey) in its application for the Local Government Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund. However, the Govt and Dept of Environment didn't provide funding. Three projects in Kildare North (Naas, Maynooth and Sallins) received funding and none in Kildare South.

• Advertisement

richiek83 wrote:

I live in Liffey Hall and assumed this was going to be completed when they were doing the warehouse. Disappointed to hear they are only going so far with it.

To be honest, KCC always disappoints when it comes to Newbridge. Their attitude against the town is beyond a joke and has been for many years despite it being the biggest town in the county for the last two censuses.

The Eastern and Midland Regional Assembly is preparing a new regional and economic strategy and are currently looking for submissions. Our best bet is to make submissions and request that Newbridge is designated a Tier 1 Growth Town up to 2040. That way, we might get more investment from local and central Govt.

Cazale wrote: »
    I live in Liffey Hall and assumed this was going to be completed when they were doing the warehouse. Disappointed to hear they are only going so far with it.

Initially I thought the same and was disappointed to hear. I'll be writing to TD's and local reps on the issue

Construction of the Lidl warehouse to start in April with 100 new jobs when it's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Cazale wrote: »
    Construction of the Lidl warehouse to start in April with 100 new jobs when it's open.

Its going to be a nightmare when its finished with the artics going from lidle warehouse up to hillborough / athgarvan / kilcullen direction,

It's pretty appalling already as it is

RTighe wrote: »
    Its going to be a nightmare when its finished with the artics going from lidle warehouse up to hillborough / athgarvan / kilcullen direction,

Won't be a nighmare for those who benefit jobwise from the project.

This all goes down to complete lack of foresight by those making the decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

RTighe wrote: »

Glass half empty?

Here's the half full view

It will take almost all artics from the great connell road, it will take the Lidl, great connell & athgarvan traffic away from Pfizer roundabout - reducing traffic issues there dramatically in both morning and evening rush hour. A knock-on effect of reducing traffic delays going into Newbridge and also giving an alternative route for residents in the estates on the great connell road.

Very few artics go from Lidl warehouse to Athgarvan and this won't mean any extra.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Glass half empty?

Here's the half full view

It will take almost all artics from the great connell road, it will take the Lidl, great connell & athgarvan traffic away from Pfizer roundabout - reducing traffic issues there dramatically in both morning and evening rush hour. A knock-on effect of reducing traffic delays going into Newbridge and also giving an alternative route for residents in the estates on the great connell road.

Very few artics go from Lidl warehouse to Athgarvan and this won't mean any extra.

not half empty, Just my own observation from being on that road for about 18 years.

personally i'd be delighted if this is the case

Won't be a nighmare for those who benefit jobwise from the project.

This all goes down to complete lack of foresight by those making the decisions.

From a job point of view I agree.

Thanks for the heads up on this CF. The date is tomorrow, how long does it take for the findings to be uploaded? I live in Roseberry Hill, and have a vested interest in the outcome here. They want to build almost 400 houses, and another 100 in the field opposite the entrance to RH yet for us to head off, we have to contend with a traffic light controlled single lane bridge? :eek:

Crazy set-up.

The decision date got pushed back to 6th February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I read today that the Great wall of Dunnes is there to stay. KCC heared several objections to the wall but ruled that Dunnes were entitled to build it as they held no intrest in any property in Newbridge retail park.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

lanomist wrote: »
    I read today that the Great wall of Dunnes is there to stay. KCC heared several objections to the wall but ruled that Dunnes were entitled to build it as they held no intrest in any property in Newbridge retail park.

Money talks. No doubt a few bills swayed that appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Since that wall we've never shopped in dunnes...but in fairness dunnes were always a my way no way company. So they can fucçcck off with themselves!!!!.
    The place should be knocked into a car park be worth more to the town!

Since that wall we've never shopped in dunnes...but in fairness dunnes were always a my way no way company. So they can fucçcck off with themselves!!!!.
    The place should be knocked into a car park be worth more to the town!

Same here. Learnt ( on this site ) recently that there are hardly any shops aside from Dunne's still doing business in that excuse for a SC.

Dunne's actions enhances my belief they are an embarrassment to Newbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Same here. Learnt ( on this site ) recently that there are hardly any shops aside from Dunne's still doing business in that excuse for a SC.

Dunne's actions enhances my belief they are an embarrassment to Newbridge.

Dunnes own the whole centre and as leases ended, dunnes took back ownership of the units.

They now have planning for full redevelopment which will start later this year.

As for the wall - it stops those motorists that sped through it to save 30 seconds.

It was always two separate developments and I can't see the issue.

Only shopped there once as its a fairly depressing centre that reeks of the 70's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

In fairness to Dunnes theirs not many in town that employ more people. Pfizer and maybe Tesco are the only 2 I can think of. Whitewater if you combine all the stores.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    As for the wall - it stops those motorists that sped through it to save 30 seconds.

It was always two separate developments and I can't see the issue.

Indeed they are 2 developments but the wall was spiteful from Dunnes. As soon as Super Valu came along, up went the wall but Dunnes appeared to have cut their nose off to spite their face.

If I was inclined to shop in SuperValu, and I couldn't get something I needed in there, I would have walked around to Dunnes and more than likely got it (bigger store, more stock, etc). Now that I can't I wouldn't bother. So they are losing trade in some way shape or form.

They were unlikely to lose customers to SuperValu on a long term basis because SV can't compete with them on size, range and they are dearer than Dunnes.

Now with the new courtyard development, the wall really ruined the flow down to them and they will lose further walk in trade.

Shame really. But ho hum. I use Tesco online anyway so no skin off my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

I've uploaded what I think the relief road will look like after everything is completed.. if it gets completed! Does anyone know if this is an accurate guess of the planned path/trajectory of the relief road after the Lidl roundabout?

Ando, that looks about right. Seen on kfm facebook page that KCC when asked by Cllr Lynch for an update on this section, stated that it will form part of an application to the Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund. The Dept of Environment must be talking about doing a second tranche of this fund. Remember, Newbridge and Kildare South as a whole missed out in the first tranche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

how will the lidl section of the relief road tie into the dual carrage from newbridge towards toughers?

Advertisement