Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

We live in a great town, and I hope this thread from strength to strength.

We live in a great town, and I hope this thread from strength to strength.

I have no idea just whose idea it was to start this thread up, but I would like to place on record how great an idea it is, and am very grateful for You starting this.

Hope everyone has a safe Xmas.

To show my gratitude:

I was getting envious of all the posts every day on the Naas and Celbridge chat threads , so decided to post under Newbridge Chat Thread. Hope to see plenty of posts in the future, and keep everyone up to date with everything that is happening in our great Town. Happy Christmas to everyone on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

lanomist wrote: »
    I was getting envious of all the posts every day on the Naas and Celbridge chat threads , so decided to post under Newbridge Chat Thread. Hope to see plenty of posts in the future, and keep everyone up to date with everything that is happening in our great Town. Happy Christmas to everyone on Boards.

Exactly my line of thought lol. Thanks for starting this.

richiek83 wrote: »
    Snip

Fiona O'Loughlin TD released a statement a number of weeks about Traffic Management Plan to be prepared for Newbridge despite the information being embargoed until a certain date. Traffic Management in towns is one of the reserved functions of elected councillors so technically she shouldn't have (a) released a statement when she did and (b) she encroached on an area which is for elected councillors.
    Anyway, lots of development being planned in that area. The council is also relocating the machinery yard in the next few years. The design brief for the area stipulates that any development has to be at a height that masks/ covers the two multi-storey car parks so it will ultimately be a significant development also.

I emailed Her when She sent out an email last month about this traffic management plan enquiring what the so-called TMP was/were - still waiting for a reply:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Judge Roy Beans are putting on a free dinner on Christmas day from 12-4 for anyone who may be alone. Wonderful gesture.

Happy Christmas everybody!

The new Costa Coffee opposite Supervalu is now open.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    The new Costa Coffee opposite Supervalu is now open.

Hope this works out for them. Hard to see where the footfall is going to come from - Dunne's buliding that wall made sure nothing from their side can easily go onto the DID/Supervalu etc side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Hope this works out for them. Hard to see where the footfall is going to come from - Dunne's buliding that wall made sure nothing from their side can easily go onto the DID/Supervalu etc side.

When redevelopment is complete it will all be part of one large retail area including the courtyard (TK maxx etc), new Aldi, new offices and new shopping street from TK Maxx to DID.

Like to take this opportunity of wishing Everyone a VERY HAPPY 2018, lets hope this thread goes from strength to strength

Season's Greetings ALL

Happy New Year everybody!

Cazale wrote: »
    Happy New Year everybody!

Thanks Cazale. Same to You and Yours!

• Advertisement

Great to see Newbridge tidy Towns replacing all the trees that were blown down in the Liffey Liner park ( The Strand ) during storm Ophelia in October. Think there were seventeen trees blown down and looks like they are planting twenty. The tidy Towns committee do great work all over the Town on a voluntary basis, they deserve great credit.

Great to see Newbridge tidy Towns replacing all the trees that were blown down in the Liffey Liner park ( The Strand ) during storm Ophelia in October. Think there were seventeen trees blown down and looks like they are planting twenty. The tidy Towns committee do great work all over the Town on a voluntary basis, they deserve great credit.

Let's just hope that these storms aren't in any way hindering their sterling work.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Happy New Year everyone. 

The proposed Lidl warehouse and section of relief road was granted permission on the 30th November by KCC. One month is allowed for appeals to be made. From looking at the councils planning site this morning, no appeal has yet been made (considering it has been Christmas I would allow a few more days to pass as documents etc are usually quite slow to be uploaded by KCC). If no appeal has been made, this is fantastic news for Newbridge as it will see the construction of a new warehouse close to the R445, it will complete a section of the towns relief road system, it will bring jobs and employment and finally the construction of the relief road section will open up approx 94 hectares of land for industrial and warehouse use.
    In respect of the Town Centre, further information has been supplied in respect of the application for extension of the Courtyard SC. A decision is due on this on the 25th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Thanks for the update on the Courtyard SC, Richie. Think that is a really exiting development for the Town. If that goes ahead, Dunnes will be sick they built that wall. They will get no passing trade IMO and the arrival of Aldi will squeeze them further. They really need to do something with that Shopping Centre. I thought when they were squeezing out tenants that they would be redeveloping but that seems to have stalled.

I often thought they should either knock it completely and rebuild the Dunnes at ground level and build apartments/condominiums above it.

With regards to Lidl developments, The new road will be huge for anyone living off the Athgarvan Road. Especially with improvements to the J10 exit from the M7.

Totally agree Gav, should be a good development for the town and hopefully starts a new phase of urban regeneration in the town centre. I think that Newbridge has the potential to be a very sustainable and vibrant town. As such, I believe that submissions should be made by groups/ citizens in the town seeking Newbridge to be designated as a Tier 1 Growth Town in the new spatial and economic strategy currently being prepared by the Eastern and Midlands Regional Assembly. This is currently at pre-draft submission stage and will be consistent with the new National Planning Framework Plan up to 2040 which has sustainable development of urban centres at the heart of its vision. A consequence of it being designated tier 1 could be increases capital investment in the town which it so badly needs. For example, the new Lidl warehouse development and the link road section will stop at Great Connell roundabout and there will be a missing section from there to the Liffey Hall

Dunnes Stores had plans from 2008 for a significant extension of their shopping centre that included a multi-storey car park and retail units facing the main road. These plans were replaced in recent years with a more conservative and scaled back plan to regenerate and improve the centre. From reviewing the councils site, this is currently with ABP as the decision to grant was appealed with the main issue in the appeal being the wall Dunnes Stores constructed being inconsistant with the Newbridge LAP. A decision was due on the 13th December but the most recent update indicated that this is delayed due to the backlog of cases that ABP are currently dealing with. It is however at Board level which would indicate that a decision is not far off

Totally agree Gav, should be a good development for the town and hopefully starts a new phase of urban regeneration in the town centre. I think that Newbridge has the potential to be a very sustainable and vibrant town. As such, I believe that submissions should be made by groups/ citizens in the town seeking Newbridge to be designated as a Tier 1 Growth Town in the new spatial and economic strategy currently being prepared by the Eastern and Midlands Regional Assembly. This is currently at pre-draft submission stage and will be consistent with the new National Planning Framework Plan up to 2040 which has sustainable development of urban centres at the heart of its vision. A consequence of it being designated tier 1 could be increases capital investment in the town which it so badly needs. For example, the new Lidl warehouse development and the link road section will stop at Great Connell roundabout and there will be a missing section from there to the Liffey Hall

Dunnes Stores had plans from 2008 for a significant extension of their shopping centre that included a multi-storey car park and retail units facing the main road. These plans were replaced in recent years with a more conservative and scaled back plan to regenerate and improve the centre. From reviewing the councils site, this is currently with ABP as the decision to grant was appealed with the main issue in the appeal being the wall Dunnes Stores constructed being inconsistant with the Newbridge LAP. A decision was due on the 13th December but the most recent update indicated that this is delayed due to the backlog of cases that ABP are currently dealing with. It is however at Board level which would indicate that a decision is not far off

I'm having a coffee in it now and the place is packed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My daughters friend works in Kavanagh's in the courtyard. Was talking to her earlier and she was telling me that they are moving to the old Terry Michaels premises in the next month or 2.

Went up the town this morning, and driving past the Park, saw the committee cleaning up and doing up the tree trunks in ( what I guess) is preparation for Valentines Day as they had pink/red cloth and ribbons around the tree trunks.

These guys do not get enough credit, that's for sure!

They do amazing work,a lot of it under the radar, saw them in the park this morning as well and was wondering what they were doing and saw on Twitter later it was to do with Nollaig Na Mban.

• Advertisement

Conspectus wrote: »
    My daughters friend works in Kavanagh's in the courtyard. Was talking to her earlier and she was telling me that they are moving to the old Terry Michaels premises in the next month or 2.

Things with that development obviously moving along well

richiek83 wrote: »

snip

Am amazed that SC is still trading. I haven't set foot in there for the past number of years. Noticed the Newsagent was gone. Are there many of the other shops still open? The key place? Peter Marks? Chemist? Veggie guy? Butcher?

IMO, that wall done them more harm than good. Wonder are they regretting ever building it?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Happy New Year, everyone.

I am currently staying in a friend's in Newbridge (cat-sitting while he's on holidays, in fact) but need to get to Dublin city centre tomorrow before 9am to start a new job.
    I am just wondering if it's worth getting the 7.15 JJ Kavanagh coach from the Bank of Ireland? It's cheaper than the train but I don't know if I can rely on the times.

Thanks a million

Brian

Happy New Year, everyone.

I am currently staying in a friend's in Newbridge (cat-sitting while he's on holidays, in fact) but need to get to Dublin city centre tomorrow before 9am to start a new job.
    I am just wondering if it's worth getting the 7.15 JJ Kavanagh coach from the Bank of Ireland? It's cheaper than the train but I don't know if I can rely on the times.

Thanks a million

Brian

Brian, for peace of mind, get the train. It's the first day back at school after xmas and M7 Upgrade works have started. One breakdown or accident and you will be snookered as there is no hard shoulder in many spots. Rush hour is well and truly on at the that time. My wife drives it everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Hi Gav,

Thanks a million for the advice. The train it is so!

Am amazed that SC is still trading. I haven't set foot in there for the past number of years. Noticed the Newsagent was gone. Are there many of the other shops still open? The key place? Peter Marks? Chemist? Veggie guy? Butcher?

IMO, that wall done them more harm than good. Wonder are they regretting ever building it?

Peter marks still there, Chemist still there, Timpsons(key cutting) still there. All else gone.

GavMan wrote: »
    Brian, for peace of mind, get the train. It's the first day back at school after xmas and M7 Upgrade works have started. One breakdown or accident and you will be snookered as there is no hard shoulder in many spots. Rush hour is well and truly on at the that time. My wife drives it everyday

Just been up & back to Dublin & can concur there are no hard shoulders on the Mway from the bundle of sticks heading up. I'd just like to say GavMan is giving sound advice here. Get the train!

Conspectus wrote: »
    Peter marks still there, Chemist still there, Timpsons(key cutting) still there. All else gone.

All? Has the 'restaurant' gone also ( as far as I am aware, Dunne's owned it )? Wow, must be the proverbial ghost town there then.

Thanks for the heads up Conspectus. Can safely say nothing there to entice me back so!

Sorry, The time piece is still there. That's dunnes own so didn't include it above. I must say the food their has improved greatly in the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

That wall is unbelievable. Goes to show what type of people run Dunnes.. I'm sure they'll knock it if they feel they're losing money in the near future. It'll make them look silly though so they may keep it up even if they're losing money.. who knows. Silly immature playground acting

Advertisement