Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnightly Marvel Graphic Novel Collection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Personally I'ld find it hard to choose. You're talking about two of my favourite writers, Busiek and DeMatteis. Both excellent writers. If i had to choose i'ld go with Kraven as a very deep character examination of Kraven

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Thwip! wrote: »
    Personally I'ld find it hard to choose. You're talking about two of my favourite writers, Busiek and DeMatteis. Both excellent writers. If i had to choose i'ld go with Kraven as a very deep character examination of Kraven

Ok cool, Kraven it is so for my next back issue purchase. Much appreciated Thwip!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I can see the ones for around 13 with no postage specified, is that what you mean Thwip!?

there's also their own site, which possibly I could use with parcel motel

mayordenis wrote: »
    I can see the ones for around 13 with no postage specified, is that what you mean Thwip!?

there's also their own site, which possibly I could use with parcel motel

I'll pm u the one i'm looking at, as i dont know if i can link it here

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

ripperman wrote: »
    Just got Captain America: The Chosen today. Is everyone still collecting? I’m surprised and delighted that my local Easons are still putting it on the shelf. I’m currently filling in gaps in the collection, ordering back issues. Initially I was only buying certain titles, stuff I was into but I’ve found that I like them so much, I want them all now!! Is this normal behaviour for this type of thing!!? :D

I started off like this too and then got into them, also picked up the end of "the Amazing Spider-Man" run and started collecting "Superior..." too :o:p

Picked up missed issues off ebay and in the Big Bang and now up to date with them (have about 5 issues yet to read)

Would like to collect the new series as well but dont think I could justify spending over €60 a month on comics!

• Advertisement

L.S.F wrote: »
    I started off like this too and then got into them, also picked up the end of "the Amazing Spider-Man" run and started collecting "Superior..." too :o:p

Picked up missed issues off ebay and in the Big Bang and now up to date with them (have about 5 issues yet to read)

Would like to collect the new series as well but dont think I could justify spending over €60 a month on comics!

Cool. Glad to see you’re enjoying them as much as I am. So does Big Bang have many back issues? Also do you know if Forbidden Planet has back issues as well?

Exceptionally good taste ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was in Forbidden Planet earlier and the only back issue I noticed was the Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle....think it's 29.

Yep Demon in a Bottle is 29th released and it's the first book in the mural

So people still getting this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Yeah I've been keeping up with the collection... not so much the reading which is quite stupid of me. I'd stop, but I hate in-complete collections.

The last book was great. Waid and Wieringo on Fantastic Four :)

Yeah I'm still collecting too. Still have a couple of back issues to pick up but I have the rest up to and including fantastic four. Good to hear that that one is a good read. Would have never even crossed my mind to buy a FF before this, but I'll give it a go! Looking forward to the second parts of Secrets Wars and Punisher in particular (In a real Punisher mood at the minute, reread Circle of Blood arc recently).

Has anyone been pleasantly surprised with a book so far? I thought Thor Reborn was a blast and funny to boot which I personally was surprised with. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Keeping up with it too, but I'm waiting on Fantastic Four: Authoritative Action before I read Unthinkable, have to say it's nice to see the collection coming together.

Reborn was great, but just read In Search of the Gods in the last few days and that's a great Thor story too, equally looking forward to Welcome Back Frank part 2.

The Chosen really surprised me as a story. Loved it

And love seeing the picture on the spines start to come together

I too am enjoying seeing the collection link up, the only problem for me is that the shelf on my book case will only accomodate a further 10 books, I'm gonna have to split the complete picture. First world problems at their finest.
    Has anyone heard any more on the other marvel heroes collection that was supposed to be coming out? I've not seen it in any shops...

Yeah I have to split my collection on my shelf too for the moment, right between the two parts of Planet Hulk in fact! :D I haven't seen the other collection in the shops but there are some listings on ebay for issue 2. I really cant justify another collection though so staying well away from it. Very happy with this current one.

Same here, as it is spending €30 a month on the current collection is a bit annoying. I don't think I'd go for the other collection.

I was wondering what it would be like if a similar DC collection was created but I don't think it would work. The majority of the collection would be Batman stories and new readers would be put off by the post-new 52 stories vs the pre-new 52 and then the pre-crisis on infinite earths before that...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I know DC are bigger on continuity than Marvel in some ways, but if they choose the right stories there's no reason it couldn't work. The only reason the Marvel collection isn't having a similar problem is that the stories chosen mostly stand alone (and mostly have nothing to do with the more continuitz oriented material released in the last ten years or so) - imagine if they were to use eg Dark Reign stories without first using pretty much all the other Bendisvengers books or essentially all the events since Civil War.

If DC were to use stuff like All Star Superman, Batman: Year One, Supergirl: Adventures in the 8th Grade, Watchmen, V For Vendetta and some of the Vertigo superhero reinventions (eg Gaiman's Black Orchid, Beware The Creeper, Morrison's Flex Mentallo) alongside other standalone material like The Filth etc, they could probably build up something similar. Choosing the right stories would be key, but I think they're no less likely to have suitable material than Marvel...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

dont think that new series is out yet,tried to order issue 1 on the website and it would only let you pre order it for when its released later in 2013.on a side note when i was in portugal a few months ago i saw a star wars collection that was similar to this,so that could be next.i had seen the current marvel one in spain a few years ago before it was released here.

• Advertisement

I'm having to split my collection in two also. I'm trying to find what looks like a sort of natural endpoint in the mural to do it

With regards to the DC collection, I can see Fysh's point but I think maybe the problem would be that, especially in recent years, a wider range of Marvel characters have become popular than DC so it would limit it a bit on the DC side. Although if they go ahead with doing one I'ld rather they wait till this one is over for financial reasons :P

I believe the most up to date story in the Marvel one will be Siege which is pretty cool though I imagine they might condense it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The new marvel collection is still in the "test area" we're certain places in UK have it on sale to see if it's a success before a national release.

As for DC I'm guessing there is a right issues regard re printing material as DC have never had a footload in the weekly/monthly market like Marvel had.

I think I may split mine between Iron Man and Logan...seems the most natural point to do it without ruining it

section3-books.jpg

Apologies for dropping the DC bomb and then seemingly running away from the conversation, I was in the get-it-while-it-lasts-sunshine.

As outlined above I now see that a DC collection would work.
    I collected a series of those UK Batman reprints a few years ago (Batman Legends I think it was called). Over the course of a year they reprinted the War Games storyline along with back-ups of Death in the Family and Year One, it made for a great year of reading.

Apologies for dropping the DC bomb and then seemingly running away from the conversation, I was in the get-it-while-it-lasts-sunshine.

As outlined above I now see that a DC collection would work.
    I collected a series of those UK Batman reprints a few years ago (Batman Legends I think it was called). Over the course of a year they reprinted the War Games storyline along with back-ups of Death in the Family and Year One, it made for a great year of reading.

Tbh the majority of DC trades I own are Batman... some Starlin JLA and 4-5 Supes.

Yeah I've been keeping up with the collection... not so much the reading which is quite stupid of me. I'd stop, but I hate in-complete collections.
    Yeah I'm still collecting too. Still have a couple of back issues to pick up but I have the rest up to and including fantastic four. Good to hear that that one is a good read. Would have never even crossed my mind to buy a FF before this, but I'll give it a go! Looking forward to the second parts of Secrets Wars and Punisher in particular (In a real Punisher mood at the minute, reread Circle of Blood arc recently).

Still collecting myself. Have all the issues up to FF, had to stop coz need some extra cash for holidays but will pick up once back. Have loads to read inc. Spidey blue/unlimited, the last Capt one, Planet Hulk Pt2, Iron-Man Deamons, FF (surprised this is the first FF in collection) and a couple of others.

Has anyone been pleasantly surprised with a book so far? I thought Thor Reborn was a blast and funny to boot which I personally was surprised with. :)

The two Thor books really impressed me. Didn't think I would like it for some reason but thought they were great!
    Was looking forward to Punisher and it was even better than I thought it would be.
    Daredevil also surpassed expectation for me.
    Same here, as it is spending €30 a month on the current collection is a bit annoying. I don't think I'd go for the other collection.
    McLoughlin wrote: »
    The new marvel collection is still in the "test area" we're certain places in UK have it on sale to see if it's a success before a national release.

One of the lads in the Big Bang told me about the collection and said like above there would be test area to see how it goes. A quick search on ebay brought up no results for me
    http://www.mightiestcollection.com/ would like to collect but be far too much each month

RE: Spine picture, I have a place which (should) hold the entire collection. Had it on a smaller cabinet but they slipped and fell :( need to get some bookends like the ones here http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/gifts.html (or the link on the other collection) but dont want to subscribe to the websites. Again ebay results are no good for me. Anyone know where I could pick some up?

:pac:

Still collecting myself. Have all the issues up to FF, had to stop coz need some extra cash for holidays but will pick up once back. Have loads to read inc. Spidey blue/unlimited, the last Capt one, Planet Hulk Pt2, Iron-Man Deamons, FF (surprised this is the first FF in collection) and a couple of others.

The two Thor books really impressed me. Didn't think I would like it for some reason but thought they were great!
    Was looking forward to Punisher and it was even better than I thought it would be.
    Daredevil also surpassed expectation for me.

One of the lads in the Big Bang told me about the collection and said like above there would be test area to see how it goes. A quick search on ebay brought up no results for me
    http://www.mightiestcollection.com/ would like to collect but be far too much each month

RE: Spine picture, I have a place which (should) hold the entire collection. Had it on a smaller cabinet but they slipped and fell :( need to get some bookends like the ones here http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/gifts.html (or the link on the other collection) but dont want to subscribe to the websites. Again ebay results are no good for me. Anyone know where I could pick some up?

:pac:

RE: the bookends. Have you seen the Venom ones?

Thwip! wrote: »
    RE: the bookends. Have you seen the Venom ones?

Yea, I want!! A bit out of my price range tho! Thing/Hulk ones are great also

Oh they're out of mine too. But my word they're class. I'm currently using Mjolnir and a Hulk glove as mine :P

• Advertisement

According to the wikipedia page for this collection some of the final books have been changed.

Looks like it's out with:

Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation
    Siege
    Son of M

and in with:

Marvel Origins: The 60s
    (Fantastic Four #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Incredible Hulk #1, Daredevil #1, Tales of Suspense #39, Uncanny X-Men #1, Avengers #1, Avengers #4, Tales to Astonish #27, and Tales to Astonish #44)
    Uncanny X-Men: Second Genesis
    Venom #1 - 5

Doctor Strange: The Oath is listed as well but I can't recall of that was originally part of it or not.

If this turns out to be true then I will be very happy, particularly with the "Marvel Origins: The 60s" book, a collection such as this really does need to include something like that.

Advertisement