22-04-2021, 11:34   #7366
Igotadose

Just finished "The Windup Girl." Interesting read and the ending was a bit of a surprise. Now onto "Vicious" by V. E. Schwab. Yet another 'super abilities revealed while at University to attractive students." Hopefully it improves.

For those looking for great vintage. Saberhagen's "Books of Lost Swords" are fantastic. They're from the mid/late 80's/early 90's, which I suppose makes them vintage though I remember eagerly buying them when they were new!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-04-2021, 11:40   #7367
The White Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Feather View Post
Still working away on the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Finished both The Bonehunters and Reapers Gale. Long but fun reads!

Next up is the 8th book "Toll the Hounds" *Deep breath*
Finished Toll the Hounds and Dust of Dreams. I didn't like the first but loved the second!

Now onto the final book in the series. "The Crippled God"
Thanks from:
27-04-2021, 12:36   #7368
Glebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebee View Post
Still on House of Chains, 60% through.
Definitely not as baffling as previous books but I still have those wtf was that moments as the book progressed. I keep saying "thats it, im finished with malazan after this one', but Midnight Tides was 99p on Amazon last week so I bought it. I think they really need to be read one after the other as I usually end up breaking and find myself forgetting sections of the previous book when I go back again. Im guessing if I have an 90% idea of whats going on over the entire series so far im doing well.
Eventually got finished with House of Chains. What started off as a great read turned into a bit of a slog for me and ended on a whimper I felt. So far my least favourite Malazan book. Even though I have next one ready to go I am defo taking a break from Malazan and im not sure if ill return for a while, if ever.
Thanks from:
27-04-2021, 16:33   #7369
alchemist33

Finished the first Expanse novel, Leviathan Awakes. Halfway through I thought it was the best SF I'd read in years, than it went all aimless for a long while until a decent ending. It redeemed itself enough to make me read the second at some point.

Now on the last of Hamilton's Salvation novels. Not his best by any means but still good.
Thanks from:
30-04-2021, 11:58   #7370
Gary kk

Finished, The Holes in the Sky by Peter F Hamilton.

It definitely had holes in it maybe the second book will fill in some story lines. But it feels like there was not enough time hashing it out.

Don't get me wrong it is enjoyable just don't over think it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-04-2021, 14:25   #7371
Paddy Samurai

The Ghost Dance Judgement (Golgotha Book 4) by RS Belcher

About 20% in and loving it. A real page turner for me. Belcher has some crazy imagination but its a highly entertaining fun read.
(4) thanks from:
30-04-2021, 17:25   #7372
ixoy

Send a message via MSN to ixoy
* 'Falling Free' by Lois McMaster Bujold, another entry in the Vorkosigan Saga. This one doesn't feature the Vorkosigan family, and is set prior to the main saga and it's the weakest installment. The lead character doesn't have any of the witty humour of Miles (and even Ehtan in 'Ethan of Athos' was more interesting).
The villain in this is almost comical which disengages me as Bujold is very well able to write three dimensional characters. The plot itself does show more of her hallmarks - clever innovative solutions to problems. It just feels like a weak knock off of her work (and it doesn't help the last book I read by her was the superb 'Memory').

* 'Blackwing' by Ed McDonald, the first book in 'The Raven's Wing' trilogy. Very much enjoyed this one. It's grimdark but done quite well - the setting is pretty interesting, the stakes are high, and it's fairly breezy at 360 pages. It also wraps up its main plot in the one book with threads left for the sequels.
(3) thanks from:
03-05-2021, 15:44   #7373
The White Feather

I have just finished "The Actuality" by Paul Braddon. A debut Sci Fi novel that I really liked. Set in the future in England about a sentient robot when they have been banned. Reminded me of the movie Ex Machina if you have seen that.

Now reading the latest one from Andy Weir. "Project Hail Mary" It seems like "The Martian" with a guy in space on his own. Enjoying it so far.
(3) thanks from:
05-05-2021, 14:36   #7374
Paddy Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoy View Post

* 'Blackwing' by Ed McDonald, the first book in 'The Raven's Wing' trilogy. Very much enjoyed this one. It's grimdark but done quite well - the setting is pretty interesting, the stakes are high, and it's fairly breezy at 360 pages. It also wraps up its main plot in the one book with threads left for the sequels.

Thanks for the reminder I have it sitting on my shelf since he wrote it , along with 2 & 3.

Hope to start it next.Hopefully.....
Advertisement
05-05-2021, 18:53   #7375
Glebee

I know its not really sci fi/fantasy but really enjoying The Pillars of the Earth. Getting a game of thrones vibe off it without the dragons or zombies...
(2) thanks from:
06-05-2021, 16:45   #7376
Dades
Would you like to know more?

Just finished Dark Matter (Blake Crouch).

First book I've gotten into in a while. Really enjoyed it.
Excited to see it's likely to get developed for TV, too. It's a story that could really make the jump.
06-05-2021, 17:39   #7377
Fian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebee View Post
I know its not really sci fi/fantasy but really enjoying The Pillars of the Earth. Getting a game of thrones vibe off it without the dragons or zombies...
I find a lot of overlap between historical fiction and fantasy. Guy gavriel Kay is the most obvious overlap I suppose. But if you want historical fiction with "game of throne" vibes have a look at bernard cornwell and especially his Saxon stories - which were the basis for "the last kingdom" on Netflix.
(3) thanks from:
06-05-2021, 20:24   #7378
coffee_cake
coffee_cake
Kate elliott's crown of stars series has a lot of clear historical research in there as well.
Thanks from:
06-05-2021, 22:56   #7379
ixoy

Send a message via MSN to ixoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_cake View Post
Kate elliott's crown of stars series has a lot of clear historical research in there as well.
As an aside, she did an AMA on /r/fantasy yesterday and I asked her a question about the series and she came back with detail on the elements of history she modeled the religion on.
(2) thanks from:
07-05-2021, 11:19   #7380
Igotadose

As I've been kind of disappointed by my last sequence of more recent writers, I went back to an oldie-but-goodie, Raymond Feist, one of his Riftwar saga stuff. Simple, action packed, well known characters (and it's been decades since I last read one.) Onto "Into a Dark Realm" where they chase the bad guy around Kelewan
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion