Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing a house for sale: what works are reasonable?

Options
  • 17-04-2021 6:47pm

I am putting my house up for sale soon, and had the estate agent over during the week for an appraisal, although 'praise' was in short supply.

Havr only lived in the house for a few years, and most of the work done has been structural — including very extensive works to address some subsidance, insulation, a completely new heating system, and so on. I left most of the superficial structure of the house intact, even down to an avocado-green loo, and a kitchen that hasn't been updated since the 1990s.

The estate agent has suggested changes that I estimate would cost a minimum of €5,000 to implement, to ready the house for sale. I immediately responded that I'm not going to spend money on superficial changes, like painting and landscaping, that will inevitably be undone by the new owner. It's a waste of time and money, when all of my money has already been poured into important structural works that will stand the test of time.

Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I don't want to be penny-wise and pound-foolish, but it seems so ridiculous.

What kind of budget (say % of sale price) is appropriate to spend on a house coming up for sale? How much, in your experience, does this affect the sale price?

Although I trust this estate agent, who knows her job better than I do, I'm struggling to believe that spending €5k or more is going to make a material difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I sold a house 3 or 4 years ago. Painted every wall, ceiling and skirting board and outside masonry. New owner moved in and repainted everything a different colour. Don't bother your bollix, most people can see what it's like and will want to put their own stamp on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

First impressions count for a lot in a house sale IMO.
    House buying has a strong emotive aspect and if your house doesn't deliver that, then it will struggle to sell.
    No one can see structural work but they will see dated bathroom, kitchen, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I would paint it magnolia at least, clear the garden (within reason) and maybe put in a white bathroom suite, cheapest you can get from B&Q. Get a skip and have the place empty as you can.

If the estate agent reckons it needs it then it probably does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I think the new heating system and recently installed insulation will be strong selling points.

Estate agents can he very "one size fits all" in their approach.

It may be advantageous to have a dated bathroom and/or kitchen - the viewer might be steered towards imagining how wonderful it would look if it was modernised.

I'm sure you're pricing it accordingly and leaving a margin for decorating expenses.

athlone573 wrote: »
    I would paint it magnolia at least, clear the garden (within reason) and maybe put in a white bathroom suite, cheapest you can get from B&Q. Get a skip and have the place empty as you can.

If the estate agent reckons it needs it then it probably does
    Take this as an example. There is a manhole, which possibly creates a right of access, in the middle of the back garden, so she's saying to put a circle of gravel over it and place an urn or a table there.

At best this is deceptive, at worst, she wants some kind of BBC Garden Rescue project that seems purely wasteful.

I am willing to strip wallpaper and paint everything beige, as you suggest, but I'm not keen on the idea of shopping for an urn that will end up in a skip. Would anyone even care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Tidy up the place and make sure it’s clean but don’t go to too much other bother.

When I was house hunting I was always suspicious of places with fresh paint jobs, I always wondered what the vendor was trying to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fix anything obviously amiss with the exterior, something that takes away from the view of the house from the outisde \ drive by can put people off.
    If there's an overgrown tree, take some action on it.

Don't worry about interior decor, once the place is neat and tidy nobody is gonna care about colour choice, wallpaper etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,387 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was me I would paint any room looking poor, patch up any cracks with polyfiller/caulk and that's it. You could go to the expense of putting in a new kitchen and new bathroom and they could be the first thing the potential buyer hates and will throw out. A new poverty spec bathroom would instantly get replaced. I would cut any grass front and back to give an idea of the potential around the house for patio, sheds, etc. €5k is insane, I'd spend €200 on paint and give it a good going over, paint the external wall that meets the street outside if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hontou

Paint makes a place look clean. Clean psychologically removes other peoples dirt......a turn off. Paint it.

I'm selling a rental house soon. I'll tidy up the garden and repaint every surface inside and out. I'll expect it to cost a few thousand for labour, paint and wall repairs. I'll do nothing else as the area has a ceiling price and the house is at the lower end of the market.

However, if you are in an expensive area then the buyers may expect high end fittings so it may be worth putting a few in. Many buyers in these areas are cash rich but time poor and with the price of labour these days they like to see it already done.

Put a plant pot over the manhole and take it with you when you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 marto501

I am putting my house up for sale soon, and had the estate agent over during the week for an appraisal, although 'praise' was in short supply.

Havr only lived in the house for a few years, and most of the work done has been structural — including very extensive works to address some subsidance, insulation, a completely new heating system, and so on. I left most of the superficial structure of the house intact, even down to an avocado-green loo, and a kitchen that hasn't been updated since the 1990s.

The estate agent has suggested changes that I estimate would cost a minimum of €5,000 to implement, to ready the house for sale. I immediately responded that I'm not going to spend money on superficial changes, like painting and landscaping, that will inevitably be undone by the new owner. It's a waste of time and money, when all of my money has already been poured into important structural works that will stand the test of time.

Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I don't want to be penny-wise and pound-foolish, but it seems so ridiculous.

What kind of budget (say % of sale price) is appropriate to spend on a house coming up for sale? How much, in your experience, does this affect the sale price?

Although I trust this estate agent, who knows her job better than I do, I'm struggling to believe that spending €5k or more is going to make a material difference.

The most important question here is where is the house. The area alone may be fast moving. I can tell you in Dublin stuff is moving needin 50k spent on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

How are other houses selling in the area? If your in a high demand area it could sell fast no matter what. What type of property is it? appealing to singles/couples/families?

But things we did. We did a clear out, nothing makes a house look smaller than clutter. We touched up any areas of paint on the walls that needed it. No color changing as everything was neutral enough but needed a freshen up. It required nothing much. But during viewings we kept the place spotless, left a lamp on if their was a viewing in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I sold a house a few years ago.

We repainted everything in cream tones, removed a lot of furniture, and did up the garden.

I don't think it's worth doing up the bathroom or kitchen unless they're actively unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Toulouse wrote: »
    Tidy up the place and make sure it’s clean but don’t go to too much other bother.

When I was house hunting I was always suspicious of places with fresh paint jobs, I always wondered what the vendor was trying to hide.

I'd somewhat agree with this. But I think you should go to some bother.

The place needs to be tidied to within an inch of its life. Remove all bric a brac and clean every floor/wall/ceiling/skirting board/architrave/light switch/socket/lamp shade/kitchen appliance etc...

Every cupboard/wardrobe/drawer needs cleaning and remove 60% of what was in it. Storage looks so much better when it's not bursting at the seams.

Oil every hinge. Tighten every wonky window/door handle. Clean the track of every sliding door.

No need to spend money but I'd definitely spend time.

If your fixtures & fittings are old but sparkling clean the buyer will consider them to suffice until they can afford to change. If they're old but also grubby/dirty the buyer will feel like they need to change immediately and adjust their budget accordingly.

Tidy up your garden too. No need for any extravagance but I'd be cutting the grass and clearing back anything that is too overgrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭Treppen

Cover a manhole is a good idea.

1. Aesthetically it isn't the best to be looking at a sewer manhole and sniffing the air whilest sipping your aperol.
    2. A manhole is asking to be inspected, probably grand but you never know.
    3. If I see a manhole in a garden it starts to make me wonder where it lies in relation to a chain of houses if on a terrace, if you're last on the line expect problems to 'flow down' to you.

All of these are just small things but it can all add up.

You've had subsidence correction which you're delighted about, if I heard there were any subsidence issues in the past it's a straight NO from me. Sorry but I've had enough dealings with builders to know they can patch things up to work for a while until their company has disolved for the 100th time and now registered in a relatives name name.

Subsidence + sewer lines is a real headache... just a few inches mvt. can crack a pipe.

Avocado bathroom,, ya you're right if I were moving in I'd be ripping it out and spending >5k . This is another thing that will be "adding up", it might show that the house hasn't been renovated since the 70s... so then there's going to be questions about plumbing and electrics. Might be easy for you to answer.. but still question marks!
    If you spent the 5k on a basic cheap makeover then there's no questions and it gives the owner a few years use before getting around to changing it, plus reduces their room to negotiate after they get their valuer in there.
    Believe it or not there are keen buyers out there who just want ZERO hassle when moving in, and they are willing to pay to avoid that hassle.
    After modernising our first home... believe me when I say I'd love for my tool box and tools to stay in the shed forever.

I know it's a sellers market (depending on location) but you really want more than one bidder. We spent about 2k sprucing our house up (between a small bit of plastering/painting and carpet and I was surprised at how good it looked.

People often forget estate agents are professionals :pac: and they do know a few things having sold a few houses, I doubt they're just telling you because of personal gripes.

jrosen wrote: »
    How are other houses selling in the area? If your in a high demand area it could sell fast no matter what. What type of property is it? appealing to singles/couples/families?
    3-bed family home with possibility of a fourth room in an attic conversion which is currently a very cold studio. No houses have sold on my street lately, but the area itself is pretty desirable, it's in Dublin 6. The house will definitely sell. But I would have to take out a loan to do anything more than basic refurbishments, because I just dont have that money.

So am keen to know what % of the asking price is normal to spend on a house, once all structural issues are sorted, which they are. I don't want more debt.
    marto501 wrote: »
    The most important question here is where is the house. The area alone may be fast moving. I can tell you in Dublin stuff is moving needin 50k spent on it
    50k? Ah no, I cannot believe that anyone is spending 50k on readying a house for sale. That's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

When it comes to property I hate to say it but 'lipstick on a pig' actually works. Remember, you are not selling a property you are selling to the hopes and dreams of the next buyer. Always, give the property a good lick before putting on the market. Focus on the superficial stuff as first impressions are everything. Sure they will change the paint on the walls after they move in but that's missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

First thing I see on most houses that get sold is a big skip dropped off! The market is hopping at the minute apparently, I'd keep spending to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Bids will probably be going up in 10k, if you can keep one more bidder on the hook for a bid longer it will pay for itself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We bought our house 2 years ago. Twas a bit of a wreck as a grandson of elder owner had been living in it for a few years and didn't look after it.

Everything was tired and old. However, it's a very desirable address and houses on the road have gone for much more. Houses that need even more work, but were at least a blank canvas even went for more.

Now our place is still a wreck, but going on recent sales in the road if we got it revalued it would be estimated higher than bought from just making a few things look nicer and freshening it up a little.

Wouldn't be going mad now, but a small bit could yield a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭dennyk

Giving the place a thorough cleaning and painting it a neutral color and doing some basic landscaping to make the outside and the back garden look nice and tidy are definitely good ideas; as others have noted, first impressions mean a lot when buying a house, and a little sprucing up can have a big impact, even if the buyer will be repainting regardless. It's much easier for potential buyers to picture a spotless freshly painted neutral interior as a blank canvas that can become "their new home" than some dingy place full of fading paint and peeling wallpaper and the detritus of the current owner's life. Those shouldn't be too expensive, a couple grand at most if you're willing to do some of the work yourself.

A new bathroom and kitchen just to sell the place might be a bit pointless, though, especially in this market. As long as the current fixtures and fittings are in good repair, clean, and functional, it should be fine. If they're in really dire shape, though, then you might want to consider some inexpensive replacements just so the place doesn't look like a dump and it's truly a turnkey property for a new buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 K.Hawksworth

50k? Ah no, I cannot believe that anyone is spending 50k on readying a house for sale. That's nuts.

Not uncommon at the upper end of the market, but I think what that poster meant was that even properties requiring 50k worth of renovations are selling like hot cakes at the moment.

My own take on this, from current experience selling our house is that anything will sell if priced right, regardless of condition. If the house needs 5k work, then it would probably sell as is for 5k less. Just may take longer. If you're looking for a quick sale get the work done, if not I wouldn't bother. As others have said the new owners will likely change everything or even gut the property depending on age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's a market for walk in houses but there are plenty of buyers who'd rather 5k off the selling price than 5k of updated fixtures and fittings that are still not to their taste.

If you clean it up and maybe a lick of paint then get it on the market, you'll always have the option in a month or 6 weeks of doing some kitchen / bathroom updates if the interest isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Paint it yourself if you can and tidy up inside/outside. A load of paint wont cost too much and leave it as tidy as you can.

Best of luck with sale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have it clean and tidy inside and out , if there are any out of control hedges etc get them trimmed back .

Every buyer I know when they walk in and see fresh carpets and new paint just think Jesus Christ they should of priced it a few k cheaper and not bothered as they would all be changed anyway.

It's this simple know how much you want for the house and don't sell for less.

dennyk wrote: »
    some dingy place full of fading paint and peeling wallpaper and the detritus of the current owner's life.
    Excuse me?? What kind of slob do you take me for! I lived there, you know.

I agree with you though, that's solid advice. Thanks. Am going to press ahead with the paint work and hire a skip, any other renovations like landscaping are OTT

3-bed family home with possibility of a fourth room in an attic conversion which is currently a very cold studio. No houses have sold on my street lately, but the area itself is pretty desirable, it's in Dublin 6.

Maybe I'm naive but this is the first time I've ever heard of subsidence in a Dublin
    property. Thought it was confined to mainly west coast, Midlands. Any neighbors had issues too?

It wouldn't put me off buying anyway so long as I had a detailed engineers report,( independently verified ) of the remedial works carried out.

Maybe I'm naive but this is the first time I've ever heard of subsidence in a Dublin
    property. Thought it was confined to mainly west coast, Midlands. Any neighbors had issues too?
    There was very bad subsidence in an extension at the back when I moved in – the area around the kitchen door (back door) is visibly slanted, it was that bad, and the
    foundations were almost non existent. Maybe worsened by the fact that the house is on a slight hill.

I wasn't aware that subsidence was a particularly geographic thing, what's that about – soil type?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Unfortunately, your ea is right.

Im very familiar with letting and sales and most of the work you did is more important however for the average buyer, they normally care more about the aesthetics of place rather that all the work you did.if i was house hunting again, i would prefer your type of place as i can design it the way i want when you did all the boring important(but expensive work). Most people dont want the hassle though and just want a turn key place. ​

Due to demand right now and lack of supply, the market is very hot so no matter the condition, you more than likely will have a lot of interested parties if you are in dublin and cork.

As buying a home is an emotive purchase, at a minimum, i would paint the place with magnolia. If say you put 5-10k worth of stuff into the property it can go a long way in attracting as many bidders as possible. Again the above depends on the value of your property. If you have a 200k apt, then sell as is with painted walls. If you have a 500k home, bidding goes up quickly and the 5k work you did, may potentially lead to an extra 10-20k in the sale price.

Your not going to be living there, your just trying to modernise the place to make it more appealing for the new owners.

Options to consider
    -Painting the wall 200 and your own labour.
    -new flooring 2/3k
    -toilets will be very expensive so best to try and minimise the work here however it sounds like your toilets are very dated. Even though they are dated, i probably wouldnt renovate given you probably wont get this money back. Is there any way to cheaply make your one look cleaner and better?
    -Kitchens 7k - you didnt mention this however most families appreciate a good kitchen.
    -Again your objective is to go for cheap stuff that are aesthetically appealing - there are loads of flipping videos on youtube that are based in america that can give you guidance on how not to over spend and where people mainly look at when buying so a seller can get the biggest bang for their buck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Maybe I'm naive but this is the first time I've ever heard of subsidence in a Dublin...

Not uncommon what between ancient collapsed culverts and places like Sandymount :(

Advertisement