Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Series Trailer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought Extra Gear was alright. It is hosted by two other people and is essentially the news segment and another guest but is online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My wife recorded this as I didn't want to watch it, but was forced into watching it later on..
    I never was a Chris Evans fan and this has done nothing to change my mind.
    They had a chance to re-vamp the show instead of leaving 99% of it the same, but lazily thought they had people who would carry it off (they don't).
    I wont be watching any more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

lertsnim wrote: »
    I thought Extra Gear was alright. It is hosted by two other people and is essentially the news segment and another guest but is online only.

Actually for us it isn't just online. RTE2 have the rights to show that every Monday night at 8:30pm. You can see it on RTE Player if you missed it tonight. If you're not bothered with going online; you can watch a repeat of the show on BBC Two from next Sunday night at 10pm.

I just finished watching the first episode on RTE2. I thought it was much more relaxed & enjoyable than Evans presenting the main show.

I liked Matt LeBlanc presenting the show while he is by himself. He doesn't have the chemistry with Evans for now; but it could improve overtime if Evans stops being too shouty. I thought Sabine's piece last night & expanded piece from Extra Gear tonight was very nicely done. The two guys who presented Extra Gear were good presenters. They had a much nicer flow to the proceedings while they did the expanded news section of the show.

I wish Evans would stop being shouty throughout the whole show. For me; it was a disappointing first run from Evans. It didn't feel like he had the right balance of persuasion & ability because he was clearly nervous on his first outing. His segment on the SIARCC with Gordon Ransay & Jesse Eissenberg was painfully bad. I thought was very rushed & lacked a bit of authority. The manner in where the two guys were reading off the autocue had lacked a lot of sense & purpose. The layout of the track for the segment itself looked interesting. I would like to see how the celebrities get on with the timed laps on that course in the near future.

It is difficult for Chris Evans to achieve a hit show with the viewers on his very first episode of TG. If he had a more controlled presenting style; then more viewers could come back to the show & stay with it. If he doesn't improve well than he is going to get in big trouble. TG today is still a very popular show. It has a legacy of being good because of the past chemistry with CHM. It is clear to us viewers that taking that presenting style of CHM from the previous series is not going work well at all. Evans needs to relax a lot more in the role & give us more of a tweaked style that will the suit well.

I will wait & see what will be done with the show as the weeks go by. One thing is clear though is that it needs a lot of work to become much better for us viewers later on in the series. And the changes for it now need to be immediate for it to survive for another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Give it time for the relationships to develop. Both are clearly car fans, but in reality this show isnt for car fans, its for a wider audience.

I think what people have to remember is the more recent Tg was 3 mates messing about in cars. All 3 had previous experience in journalism and I think it came together to make a great TV program that appealed to a lot of people.
    At the moment, this is just 2 blokes trying to emulate that.

Chris Harris is a journo so will come at it from the journo angle and Schmidt is a racing driver - so sort of brings the Stigs point of view to things too. ( Can anyone imagine the old Top Gear saying " The suspension is sh*t, it's like a Ferrari's !" )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Is eddie and Sabine coming back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

s8n wrote: »
    Is eddie and Sabine coming back ?
    I hope not, I wouldn't mind seeing them every now and again but they had too many hosts the first time.

I'm looking forward to it. More car shows is always going to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

https://www.list.co.uk/article/88665-top-gear-will-return-on-march-5/

The Celebrity rallycross segment is gone too and the Mini replaced with a GT86, presumably reverting to the old track layout.

No word in the story about Sabine and Eddie.
    Sabine is alright in limited doses but anything Eddie does that isn't F1 related is pretty poor to put it lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Celebrity rallycross segment is gone too and the Mini replaced with a GT86,
    A proper car!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hadn't heard about this at all until now. I only re-watched the clip Rory Reid did reviewing the focus RS, and it was fantastic. Le Blanc, and Harris are both brilliant. I think this is going to be great, looking forward to Sunday now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll give it another go - Evans had to go and he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea, I have to say as someone who stopped watching after the 2nd episode last season, the changes they've made are a lot more inspiring (first and foremost Evans being gone!) Still not convinced about LeBlanc though but we'll see tomorrow.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Top gear without Clarkson Hammond and May is just pointless.

These guys are trying too hard

Advertisement