Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Phenomenal series. It can be hard work to power through but it rewards the reader's patience and is ultimately well worth it. Even better on re-read too.

Midnight Tides is my favourite of the bunch, but there's a load of diverging opinions on the matter. Haven't picked up any of ICE's novels or Erikson's new Tiste Andii series though mind...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

RoboAmish wrote: »
    Haven't picked up any of ICE's novels or Erikson's new Tiste Andii series though mind...
    ICE is a weaker writer (IMO) but it's nice to get some detail on other areas and places that are only mentioned briefly in the book (especially for where the final book in ICE's series will be).

As for the Tiste Andii series - it's heavier going in some fashion than the others. Not in terms of complexity but thematically to me and with heavier doses of philosophy and a slightly slower pace. Well worth it though as it gives some interesting background to characters, answering previous questions and - naturally - asking new ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wrapping up my current book now, going to start Gardens of the Moon in a day or 2.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Cheers ixoy. I'd always planned on picking up his Tiste Andii series, just needed a bit of a break from Malazan after devoting a good chunk of my time getting through the series. Might be my next purchase now that I'm finishing up with the Mistborn trilogy... saw it in a bookshop today and glad to see it's now been sold in a more compact size as opposed to the original oversized paperback.

Little more wary of ICE... have heard he's a poorer writer alright. Kinda interested in reading about his Daru novel though...
    does it give some kind of closure to the crew that were stranded there after TTH? Not that I have much interest in a lot of them... Scorch and Leff, ugh...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

the tiste andii book was one of my favourites so far :s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Does anyone else fork out for the Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach novellas? They're published in fairly expensive hard-back formats from PS Publishing. The first three were collected in a trade paperback volume at a much lower price but the latest two, which I've read, won't be available in a cheaper format for a while.
    I've just finished "The Wurms of Blearmouth" and, at £20 for 122 pages, it's expensive but fun. That and I like having these special editions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, I'm a little over 200 pages into Gardens of the Moon. I see what people mean when they say it's hard work. Is it likely to improve any time soon?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So, I'm a little over 200 pages into Gardens of the Moon. I see what people mean when they say it's hard work. Is it likely to improve any time soon?

Yes.

Ta. Nearly every couple of pages there's a new character up to something. Interesting how Erikson provides little or no information on their thoughts and motives. I can see this series being the literary equivalent of The Wire.

H. H. Asquith

Ta. Nearly every couple of pages there's a new character up to something. Interesting how Erikson provides little or no information on their thoughts and motives. I can see this series being the literary equivalent of The Wire.

Sorry, I meant to come back and edit that but I got distracted - I've read GOTM a bunch of times at this stage and it's one of these books that benefits dramatically from a reread - particularly after you're a few books in and know more about the characters.

It's a lot easier to get into when you know what legends the likes of Whiskeyjack, Fiddler etc. are.

If you're wanting some sort of mental signpost that you're making progress I would suggest you keep an eye out for the word
    "convergence"
    - once that starts to pop up regularly you should be starting to enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement

That's really helpful. There's regular references by several characters to a spinning coin which I think has something to do with
    the Gods
    . I'll keep with it then so. Even tempted to get a Kindle Fire HD for the dictionary function just for this series.

H. H. Asquith

GOTM is a book I appreciated immeasurably more as the series progressed. It's only when the whole tapestry is revealed that you realise how good of an opening chapter it really is.

That being said, it's only in the next book that the series really finds it's way; Deadhouse Gates is probably one of my favourites in the entire series.

Definitely worth persevering with even if you'll sometimes question why you're doing so. It can be as frustrating as it is rewarding a lot of the time but it is ultimately worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Even tempted to get a Kindle Fire HD for the dictionary function just for this series.

Actually that is a great idea. It really comes in handy later when he mightn't come back to a character for a few books.

Actually that is a great idea. It really comes in handy later when he mightn't come back to a character for a few books.

Kindle's a good investment then? I've been on the fence for ages.

H. H. Asquith

I'd the app on a tablet, found it a godsend for the malazan books in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

just about finished gardens of the moon and I haven't found it hard going

I'd the app on a tablet, found it a godsend for the malazan books in particular.

Got myself a Kindle Fire HD so I'll see how it goes.

H. H. Asquith

Got myself a Kindle Fire HD so I'll see how it goes.

Look around the store, you can get some of the books in omnibus editions, saves on some dosh. Tricky to find though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

just about finished gardens of the moon and I haven't found it hard going

Just found this thread.

I was the same, I was entertained the entire way through.
    Easily my favourite series, re read a good few times now. The same with the black company books. Only problem I find is its very hard to find anything worthwhile reading after such an epic series.

Well, I'm about 5 or 6 pages from finishing Gardens of the Moon. Not sure what to make of it to be honest. It's a bit light on character development which I suppose is fair given the sheer amount of characters. Parts of it seemed a bit random like
    Paran getting caught in Rake's sword and summoning Oponn
    . I don't know if that'll make more sense if I read more of the novels but I think I'll finish Deadhouse Gates as I've already bought it.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Well, I'm about 5 or 6 pages from finishing Gardens of the Moon. Not sure what to make of it to be honest. It's a bit light on character development which I suppose is fair given the sheer amount of characters. Parts of it seemed a bit random like
    . I don't know if that'll make more sense if I read more of the novels but I think I'll finish Deadhouse Gates as I've already bought it.

Things make more sense as the series go on. Then when you go back for a reread you understand how amazing Erikson is.

Yeah pretty much everything in GOTM comes back with a vengeance later on.

A lot of the seemingly minor characters from it go on to be absolute legends later as well, <3 Fiddler!

I'll at least finish Deadhouse Gates. Reading a review on SFsite that says it's all downhill from here in terms of difficulty and that DG is one of the best entries in the series.

H. H. Asquith

I'll at least finish Deadhouse Gates. Reading a review on SFsite that says it's all downhill from here in terms of difficulty and that DG is one of the best entries in the series.

I think I liked the third more having read both of them a few times. FWIW I did my first back to the start again effort after three books.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think I liked the third more having read both of them a few times. FWIW I did my first back to the start again effort after three books.

You're first back to the start? Glad I bought the kindle now.

H. H. Asquith

You're first back to the start? Glad I bought the kindle now.

i.e. finished book three, decided I'd probably missed a rake of stuff from the first two and went back and read them all again before moving on to book four.

I know what you meant, just by the look of your post you've went back to the start a few times.

H. H. Asquith

I know what you meant, just by the look of your post you've went back to the start a few times.

Yeah I've probably read the first three books three times at this stage, book four twice.

Wow!

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wow is right. That's a pretty formidable task. Maybe when I'm old and grey I'll go back and visit Malazan again but I'm not willing to commit that kind of time to it again anytime soon!

Advertisement