Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation at UL

Options
  • 10-04-2014 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm a mature student going to complete a 2 year Masters in Technology Education at UL in September. I live in Meath so I'm going to have to relocate temporarily. Anyone know of reasonable priced/quality accommodation close to or on the campus. I'm 32 so I don't fancy rooming with undergrads! My partying days are behind me sadly :(

Terry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Cheap, undergrad, and parties are three words that just go hand in hand. I would say if you're going off campus then maybe think about somewhere like Briarfield which is private accommodation. You could try groody student village and if you have the money and can go on campus i'd go with Cappavilla. Seems to be the quietest place around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The on campus residences reserve a certain portion of the rooms for mature students and/or postgrads. Typically, it'll be a certain number of houses kept aside for this purpose. If you are applying to them, you can mention your preferences and they'll do their best to accomodate you. IIRC it's first come first served though. On-campus is the most expensive option, but it's pretty hassle free.

UL also maintain an approved accomodation list for off-campus accomodation - basically landlords can register with them and have students referred onto them. Again, there are landlords who only take mature students or postgrads and they'll probably specify that with the UL list. Contact Plassey Campus Centre for this.

After that, you're out there on your own. Avoid College Court and Elm Park if you want quiet. Ditto the parts of Milford Grange closest to the college. Brierfield is a mixed bag, again the further you get from the college there the quieter it gets. University Court and Hazelwood are typically pretty quiet - both have a higher number of owner occupied properties than most estates, many of whom know the landlords of the rented properties too.

Be sure to get yourself a bike too, or be prepared to walk. Car-parking is relatively scarce on campus, and it will take longer to drive in from any of these estates than it would to walk or cycle.

Advertisement