Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hazel dormouse in house / garden

Options
  • 03-12-2020 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭

We recently moved from Kildare to Wicklow and have come across a hazel dormouse (or dormice).

My husband first spotted it mowing the garden before we moved in, back in September. He thought it was a field mouse but commented on how it leaped around rather than run. We moved in properly last week and one was sitting at the top of the stairs. My husband again thought it was a field mouse and put it in a box and took it outside. Same mouse (or a relative) was sitting on our couch this evening. Again, it was brought outside.

We thought we have a field mice problem, so did a bit of research and my husband thinks it's definitely a hazel dormouse we're dealing with due to furry tail, colouring and big cute eyes, as well as movement. Definitely not house or field mouse. We feel awful now for sticking it outside as it was probably trying to hibernate and just read that they're protected (or at least were a few years ago).

Basically looking for advice. Should we leave it or go looking for it in the morning and build it a mousy shelter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

Dormouse are rare enough. Too many predators for them. Everything seems to like the taste of them! Anyway big cute eyes and bushy tail, almost deffo a dormouse. Reddish color?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yes it was red in colour. Feel bad sticking it outside now. We are so tired from moving, we just didn't think and panicked that we had a 'cute' mice problem. Might bring the toddler on a search for it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

Lucky you. I've never seen one in the wild. I'd encourage you to try and look after them. Give them a fighting chance. Beautiful creatures. My friend seen one in his garden in newbridge. But only once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thanks. We will check tomorrow if it's still around and take it in again. I'll try getting a photo to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dearmond

WELL IF IT MOWS THE GARDEN YOU WOULD BE WISE TO KEEP IT

• Advertisement
Advertisement