Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Secondary Teachers for research on student wellbeing

• 27-11-2020 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am looking for secondary teachers to participate in some research as part of a Masters degree.
    Many young people in Ireland experience issues with their mental wellbeing. Teachers spend a lot of time with students in the classroom each week and sometimes a student’s struggles with their wellbeing might become apparent in the classroom; e.g. the teacher may need to refer the student to the Year Head for some additional support.

The aim of this research is to understand teacher perspectives and to learn more about their experiences with students in these types of situations. The results of the research will help inform how teachers could be better prepared or supported in these types of situations.

I am looking for classroom teachers from secondary schools in Ireland to volunteer to participate in a short (30 minute) 1 to 1 Zoom interview about their experiences with student wellbeing.

If you are a teacher who might be interested in participating, please message me.

Also, I would appreciate any advice anyone has here on how I can spread the word to find teacher recruits. I’ve tried posting on Voice For Teachers Facebook and Twitter, have spread the word through my teacher friends networks and have contacted a number of Principals in schools around Ireland to ask them to share with their teachers but still finding it hard to get volunteers. I know it is an incredibly hectic time for teachers in schools at the moment with Covid-19 so that is not helping matters.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hi,
    I am looking for secondary teachers to participate in some research as part of a Masters degree.
    Many young people in Ireland experience issues with their mental wellbeing. Teachers spend a lot of time with students in the classroom each week and sometimes a student’s struggles with their wellbeing might become apparent in the classroom; e.g. the teacher may need to refer the student to the Year Head for some additional support.

The aim of this research is to understand teacher perspectives and to learn more about their experiences with students in these types of situations. The results of the research will help inform how teachers could be better prepared or supported in these types of situations.

I am looking for classroom teachers from secondary schools in Ireland to volunteer to participate in a short (30 minute) 1 to 1 Zoom interview about their experiences with student wellbeing.

If you are a teacher who might be interested in participating, please message me.

Also, I would appreciate any advice anyone has here on how I can spread the word to find teacher recruits. I’ve tried posting on Voice For Teachers Facebook and Twitter, have spread the word through my teacher friends networks and have contacted a number of Principals in schools around Ireland to ask them to share with their teachers but still finding it hard to get volunteers. I know it is an incredibly hectic time for teachers in schools at the moment with Covid-19 so that is not helping matters.

Many thanks

Big ask,surely youd be better putting together some kind of questionaire?

Hi,

Many thanks

Big ask,surely youd be better putting together some kind of questionaire?(Either that or head out to Lidl and buy a case of cheap bottles of wine :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 L.Research1

Yes that would be a lot easier but unfortunately thats not the research design which I got approved by my University approvals & ethics board.
    I can't just switch from interview to questionnaire now without doing a full redesign and going through a whole new approval process (the first process took months).

Get where you are going with the cases of wine! It's not helping matters that I can't go into secondary schools within my general area to talk to teachers face to face & recruit that way because of Covid so it's all via email & everyone too busy to really read & engage that way.

I appreciate the suggestion though. Thank you.

(I am learning a lot about research design and recruitment for research so guess thats something!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hi,
    Many young people in Ireland experience issues with their mental wellbeing.

Do they?

Really?

"Many"?

I contend that the vast majority of young people are happy, and for good reason.

I suspect you need to re-write this as:

"a small minority of young people........."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 L.Research1

Unfortunately it is not a small minority.

According to the My World 2 survey which surveyed over 10,000 young people in Ireland. 40% of adolescents reported experiencing levels of depression outside the normal range and 49% of adolescents reported levels of anxiety outside the normal range.
    (sorry I can't post a link to it as am a new user on boards so you'll need to google it or type myworldsurvey dot ie forwardslash findings)

• Advertisement

Yes, this is odd.

Real incomes have improved dramatically since 1960.

Yet more people seem to be unhappy.

It just shows that happiness is not a linear function of income.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, this is odd.

Real incomes have improved dramatically since 1960.

Yet more people seem to be unhappy.

It just shows that happiness is not a linear function of income.

Apart from the 6-8 years of the Celtic Tiger era conditions have been falling since the 80s .Reagan and Thatcher style politics firmly embedded .1970s kids would have been raised to EXPECT a three bed semi d and a car in their 20s unless they were outliers in terms of wealth /work ethos .Whats ahead of the latest generation even IF they can afford to save for a mortgage deposit ?They wouldnt be normal if they werent depressed .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

2011abc wrote: »
    Apart from the 6-8 years of the Celtic Tiger era conditions have been falling since the 80s .Reagan and Thatcher style politics firmly embedded .1970s kids would have been raised to EXPECT a three bed semi d and a car in their 20s unless they were outliers in terms of wealth /work ethos .Whats ahead of the latest generation even IF they can afford to save for a mortgage deposit ?They wouldnt be normal if they werent depressed .
    I certainly didn't expect a house and a car. It was a stretch to get a car, but took a loan out with the credit union as it was essential for work. I rented until into my early 30s.

The Celtic Tiger was from 1993/94 to 2007/08.

Other than house prices/affordability/availability in cities, there have been widespread improvements.

Rising real incomes
    longer life expectancy
    More travel / cheaper flights
    Much cheaper telecoms costs
    Much better broadband
    More sports / cycling / etc.
    Falling income inequality

However, if you are paying city rents, and trying to save for a house, yes it's brutal.

But a working couple aged 30 on 80k-100k trying to buy a house in a provincial town are grand.

Anyways, the OP asked about teenagers, so sorry for wandering off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

... and 49% of adolescents reported levels of anxiety outside the normal range...
    Whoever compiled that statistic might want to have a little think about how they define “the normal range”.

• Advertisement

Geuze; The Celtic Tiger was from 1993/94 to 2007/08.

Peak unemployment in 1996 didnt start till at least late 98/99 and ended in 2007

Other than house prices/affordability/availability in cities, there have been widespread improvements.

Rising real incomes ...so a 'working man' can still finance a family alone ?
    longer life expectancy ...to live out your old age in poverty?
    More travel / cheaper flights ...peaked in 2007...
    Much cheaper telecoms costs...local calls UNTIMED in the 80s
    Much better broadband..thats just History .No net at all till 98
    More sports / cycling / etc. Kelly/Roche
    Falling income inequality Seriously?Jobbridge ...more and more on minimum wage ?!

However, if you are paying city rents, and trying to save for a house, yes it's brutal. 'City' being anywhere outside of Leitrim/Longford /Monaghan

But a working couple aged 30 on 80k-100k trying to buy a house in a provincial town are grand. Did you see the Doctor /Nurse couple on that RTE 'cheap property' show earlier this year ?Couldnt afford Galway ,move to Clare couldnt afford that ,move to a little cliffside cottage !

Anyways, the OP asked about teenagers, so sorry for wandering off.

Modern living(for teens and older)?Youre facilitated to be any gender /orientation (or combination of) you fancy living mindfully in poverty in your co-living car park space /room .

G
    longer life expectancy ...to live out your old age in poverty?

Falling income inequality Seriously?Jobbridge ...more and more on minimum wage ?!

Poverty rates among over 65s in Ireland are low, see CSO table SIA13.

2004 = 4%

2018 = 2%

Yes, income inequality has fallen:

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2020/10/why-has-income-inequality-fallen-in.html

Advertisement