Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Rad not working, would appreciate some advice

Options
  • 01-12-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey folks, hoping someone might be able to help me. Moved into a house, all the radiators are good except for this one, it doesn't heat up.

I've attached some images below of the connections at the side, I'm guessing the one on the right is missing something :) ? anyone have any idea how I could get this working? Left side is the standard I'm more used to, I've tried twisting this either side but that doesn't seem to do it.

Would really appreciate any advice, this room is getting cold :confused:

https://imgur.com/t1pt5Ns
    https://imgur.com/LI03MJf
    https://imgur.com/6l4MY7O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

mick3001 wrote: »
    Hey folks, hoping someone might be able to help me. Moved into a house, all the radiators are good except for this one, it doesn't heat up.

I've attached some images below of the connections at the side, I'm guessing the one on the right is missing something :) ? anyone have any idea how I could get this working? Left side is the standard I'm more used to, I've tried twisting this either side but that doesn't seem to do it.

Would really appreciate any advice, this room is getting cold :confused:

https://imgur.com/t1pt5Ns
    https://imgur.com/LI03MJf
    https://imgur.com/6l4MY7O
    Good morning.. I'm no expert but the value on the right might be a TRV a thermostat radiator valve and may be missing or have the temperature adjustment removed you can google image " TRV VALVE " so ya know what it may look like. I'm assuming the other valve is wide open ? Can u feel any heat comming from the pipe below the valve when heating is on it would be a good indicator that hot water is getting there and that it's an issue with a valve!! Also I'm assuming you have realised any air in the rad I doubt that's the issue anyway but no harm to mention it!!
    I could just be that value on the right is closed and there may be a way to open it
    Sorry if iv being no help but just landing my taughts

Good morning.. I'm no expert but the value on the right might be a TRV a thermostat radiator valve and may be missing or have the temperature adjustment removed you can google image " TRV VALVE " so ya know what it may look like. I'm assuming the other valve is wide open ? Can u feel any heat comming from the pipe below the valve when heating is on it would be a good indicator that hot water is getting there and that it's an issue with a valve!! Also I'm assuming you have realised any air in the rad I doubt that's the issue anyway but no harm to mention it!!
    I could just be that value on the right is closed and there may be a way to open it
    Sorry if iv being no help but just landing my taughts

Think this is what u are missing

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mick3001

Hey thanks for coming back to me.

Yeah should have specified I tried to bleed the rad of air but all seems to be ok there.

I can feel the heat on the pipe on the left which yes is a wide open valve. But the one on the right where the part is missing is cold.

I think your right and the one on the right is closed, I need to open it, might have to try and pick up something like what you have listed.

mick3001 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for coming back to me.

Yeah should have specified I tried to bleed the rad of air but all seems to be ok there.

I can feel the heat on the pipe on the left which yes is a wide open valve. But the one on the right where the part is missing is cold.

I think your right and the one on the right is closed, I need to open it, might have to try and pick up something like what you have looks like u may just need the head of that TRV to get it going so a few pictures and a trip to local plumbing store should have u toasty warm in no time !! Keep us posted on your progressðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The strange thing to me is that without a trv attached both mine and my grandparents valves default to being fully open. I thought that was the norm.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    The strange thing to me is that without a trv attached both mine and my grandparents valves default to being fully open. I thought that was the norm.

I'm wondering if the OP's is of an old model and is just in what ever position it was in when the controller was removed.. it may have been turned off during summer months to have the controller replaced and never was !!
    Just taughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I'm wondering if the OP's is of an old model and is just in what ever position it was in when the controller was removed.. it may have been turned off during summer months to have the controller replaced and never was !!
    Just taughts.

And sometimes rads are turned off for too long and get stuck in the closed position even if the valve is twisted to open. A slight tap on the side of the tap can free it up sometimes.

Car99 wrote: »
    And sometimes rads are turned off for too long and get stuck in the closed position even if the valve is twisted to open. A slight tap on the side of the tap can free it up sometimes.

Be no harm to give it a gentle tap surly!!
    I dont have any TRV values in my house so not to up to date on them but I do know that the regular values do weep a little after being off for a long time!! They normally sort then selfs out after a little while!!
    Hope the OP gets sorted soon!

Thanks for all the advice folks, going to try and pick up a TRV valve today but ill try giving it a few taps as well. Ill report back

I got it working lads :D:D
    Thanks for all the advice, the pin was stuck alright, I gave it a few taps and it popped out, rad is heating up now. Big thanks to everyone, saved me another expense I didn't need right now, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Note it only moves a few millimetres, so dont over do it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement