Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy cistern refill

Options
  • 30-11-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi folks. When I flush the upstairs toilet, there is a droning noise for a minute or two as the cistern refills. The noise then stops and the cistern continues to refill.
    If I turn on a tap, the noise also stops.
    You can feel a vibration in the filling pipe when the noise occurs.
    This must have started 6 months or more back, while for a long time, the water pressure to the house has been very, very low.
    The Council fixed that last week, (faulty and very old pressure reduction valve), and the pressure is now great, but the noise was louder than ever. I actually reduced the pressure with the shiny new valve, but the noise is still there.
    So the noise occurs under normal and very low pressure conditions.
    Any ideas would be appreciated,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Upstairs toilet should be fed from attic tank supply, so mains water pressure shouldnt bother it.
    Does the noise reduce if you turn on the hot tap?

Its not expensive to replace the valve, some are just noisy no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

The cold tap stops the noise. I think the cistern is mains fed. it's an old house and difficult to get into attic.
    Is it likely to cause problems ?, I can live with the noise.
    Thanks
    Dave

Advertisement