Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sparrow Hawk hits window

Options
  • 20-11-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭

What does one do with a dead sparrow hawk thats clattered a window and died.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

give it to a taxidermist? though i'm not sure what the law is on them dealing with protected species, even if they died accidentally.
    where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wicklow, Poor fella had a right oul clanger. Was breathing and looked in shock. Had similar with a pigeon sometime ago but he survived.

This fella died within a few minutes, blood out of his mouth. Probably didnt know what hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Its a memory I have from primary school in the 70's.A sparrow hawk crashed through the window and landed on the desk in front of me dead.:eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

listermint wrote: »
    What does one do with a dead sparrow hawk thats clattered a window and died.

Make a full record, take a photo dated with eg a newspaper, then bury it? You can then follow up? With the Irish Rare Bird people? Address etc online.

A quick email would help immediately, and that you know the cause of death

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Wrap it in a 'tube' of newspaper and pop it in the freezer if you want to hold on to it. You do need a permit, an Article 10, so if you want to keep it permanently get in touch with NPWS ranger.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

As has been alluded to, there's nothing you 'have' to do and nobody you need to report it to. If you intend to keep it or get it stuffed them you need a license via your local NPWS Ranger. If you do intend to keep it, get it in the freezer ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bilbo65

Same thing happened to me rural Ireland in the 1970s. We heard the bang and found the sparrowhawk freshly dead under the big window in the lounge. By an amazing coincidence a local taxidermist was passing by and he urged me to "stick it in the freezer and I'll get back to you". Talk about hailing a passing taxidermist was the joke for ages in our family. Much discussion about posing the bird when stuffed followed. I settled for an agressive 'sparrowhawk lands on prey'. Wife not entirely pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Put a sticker of a bird or of anything on your window to prevent it happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Put a sticker of a bird or of anything on your window to prevent it happening again

Put a sticker of a bird in your window to prevent a sparrow hawk who hunts birds in my garden from hitting my window ... .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

listermint wrote: »
    Put a sticker of a bird in your window to prevent a sparrow hawk who hunts birds in my garden from hitting my window ... .. ..

Exactly, along the lines of "Bird hunting not allowed"...

Surely it will be as effective as "Keep your dogs on leash"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A slender strip of masking tape would do the trick - sadly my windows are rarely so sparkly for this to be needed anymore!
    Poor Sparrowhawk. I bet the sparrow has some story for his nest buddies tonight!

Advertisement