Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese songs or western?

Options
  • 27-08-2003 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Do you chinese/cantonese speakers here listen to chinese songs or Western(American, British etc...)?

I personally listen to Chinese/Cantonese songs much much more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

cantopop is terrible but a lot of hong kong stars release mandarin versions of the same song and it doesn't sound so bad. Cantonese is really too harsh and guttural to make good listening and if you've ever heard cantonese rapping.. it's interesting...

I much prefer western music.. for a start there is the metal/rock which doesn't seem to be popular over in the east although I've heard some pretty dire attempts... it might be the whole manufacturered aspect which sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Treetypie

No doubt about it, definately Western. I prefer Britney over Aaron anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Treetypie

Ok I know exactly what would be a decider for this topic.
    Have you ever heard Kelly Chan's song "Shake Shake"? Compare it to the worst western songand you will find the western music so much better! Even the cheeky girls are better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

well *** that's one of her really bad songs, 是我不好 is a really good one.

Has anyone seen Chau Wa Mui's recent imitation of Beyonce - including the two Missy Elliot look alikes in her videos??? Isn't it strange?

• Advertisement

No. But I saw a cantonese imitation of other singer's songs. Asia is full of imitators... :mad:

Do you remember the Cranberry's dreams song imitated?? I nearly wet my pants.. especially the lilting part..

Can't remember if I've heard it before, who's it imitated by?

Now I remember.. Wong Faye... famous rebellious from Shang Hai I believe, oh and female if it narrows it down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

OK, Ireland's biggest Faye Wong fan here :D ...

She was born in Beijing but is based in Hong Kong and has made her musical career there. She sang "Dreams" for the Wong Kar-Wai film, Chungking Express, which she also starred in (one of my all-time favourite films, by the way).

IMHO, she is absolutely peerless in the Cantonese music industry. Great voice, great songs for years now (though I was disappointed with last year's album). Saw her in concert a few years ago. I reckon she sang that Cranberries song for the only Irish guy in the audience that night :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement