Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clean old cartrdiges and contacts?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 3:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question lads - What's the best way to clean old nes cartridges and system contacts?

What cleaning solution can I use that's easy to get (supermarket hopefully!) that won't damage the cartridges? There are too many varying answers through google so I'll leave it to the wisdom of board users.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rubbing alcohol. Or isopropyl alcohol as it's also known.

Failing that a pencil eraser also works well. One of the crumbly ones. Would have to open up the cart to get in at it properly though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Cheers, I thought that might be the best solution to use.

Now I just have to find somewhere that stocks it!

Master of the Universe

No problem. Always nice to hear of a NES being brought back from a blinky death :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course there is a danger of certain posters here drinking the rubbing alcohol...
    But then their pee is 95% proof so that can be used instead!

Master of the Universe

You hear that Atavan? Ciderdude wants your pee.

I guess it kind of does look like cider....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    You hear that Atavan? Ciderdude wants your pee.

I guess it kind of does look like cider....
    ah man this threads gone all Bear Grylls again...
    Health tip though...
    If it looks like Bulmers you're ok , but if it looks like cloudy cider though I'd go see a doctor...;)

Master of the Universe

So in summary -

Ciderman wants to clean his carts with Atavan's piss.

luas_dublin thinks that if it resembles Bulmers he should drink it instead.

Remind me to wear a raincoat to the next beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

If it's yellow and brown you're in cider town.
    If it's yellow and tangy you've got the clap!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sorry, I have a contract with Bulmers so my pee is not for sale and non-negotiable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Quick question lads - What's the best way to clean old nes cartridges and system contacts?

What cleaning solution can I use that's easy to get (supermarket hopefully!) that won't damage the cartridges? There are too many varying answers through google so I'll leave it to the wisdom of board users.

Cheers

damnit! meant to actuallly post this before I got side tracked
    I've always used maplin contact cleaner spray for the carts , and its worked pretty well , (in fairness its probably just sprayable isopropyl )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Ebayer shop sells isopropyl alcohol wipes really cheap,fantastic for cleaning tape heads/megadrive joypad key rubbers,they vaporise very quick when opened so pick up good few-

http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-x-INDIVIDUAL-IPA-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL-CLEANING-WIPES-/200345138301?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item2ea580347d

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thanks for the replies, even the pee related ones!

I'll check out Maplins for the cleaner spray.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

As long as you don't pee on your carts.

Master of the Universe

As long as you don't pee on your carts.

You've never done that out of excitement no?

:(

Eh no, I try refrain from doing so. Makes the sticker on the carts get messed up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Clicked on last post for this thread and see this at top of page:

hmmmhpfbch.jpg

Makes me afraid to see what was mentioned on the previous page. :pac:

/Edit: Yep, they talking about piss again. :D

Advertisement