Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Soaps

Options
  • 08-09-2003 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All!

Does anyone out there follow chinese soaps on the chinese channel? and also which chinese channel do you watch if you do?

I'm currently watching this little soap (from Hong Kong) called the treasure raiders or something similar that's a remake of one of my favourites, it's an "old-fashioned" show with lots of martial arts, bad graphics and lots of flying and big costume and hair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I have the chinese channel, though i don't follow it often, if it's one of those modern soaps where it's set in the modern ages. if it's set in say 2000 years ago, I won't, those soaps are really boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

the soaps where they have big hair and big clothes are the best!! Especially the one with all the guts and gore and lots of lost brothers and sisters and just wonderful actors :)

I used to love them as a kid too.. anyone ever watch the original monkey god series (I keep calling him monkey boy because I can't remember his proper name!).. absolutely brilliantly remade 2 years ago in Taiwan I believe...

One of my all time favourite soaps was made by Asian Channel Hong Kong (as opposed to TVB, which is the favourite in Hong Kong), it's called Bau Ching Teen, it's about the most famous chinese empress and shows her life story pretty accurately (it was extremely long.. was on for weeks!) with a few embellishments, but the whole story about her son over throwing her and no one liking her due to her killing off her competitors and being a woman in power at the time is supposed to be accurate.

On a more off topic level - What channel do you have? Mine is the one broadcasted from UK. forgot what it's called.

I've got 2 I think, one of them is Si Si (In time with time) channel which is what most hong kong people watch and what I usually watch, we watch another channel with a yellow dragon logo on our sky digibox but I've no idea what it's called, it's more mandarin based. There was also another one about 3 years ago, not sure whether it's still there or not broadcast half cantonese, half mandarin and mostly showed really old soaps and out of date material, news was usually a day old.

Aye, I've si si as well, good enough but they broadcast things 6 months old, tch!

• Advertisement

that's the best you'll get! unless you request TVB tapes.

I remember when we had to rent videotapes to catch up on local news/soaps because of no satelite :)

A well known chinese shop in Dublin used to have this little corner literally wall to wall with just vhs tapes and episode 1 - 40 of a particular soap and then they'd re-record over them so by the time you got them they were pretty bad quality but still worth the waiting of getting someone to tape them from tv in Hong Kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

TVBS has up-to-date news and many Chinese soaps these days.

don't think I've TVBS, where's that available in? or is that just another name for Si Si?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Treetypie

Yes TVBS is "Si Si Toy".

Ah ok, thanks for that. what's the S in TVBS stand for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Treetypie

The "S" in TVBS stands for satellite. Just look it up in google!;)

ah right, thanks.

So, no one else watching any chinese soaps? I was watching part of one last night about an executive director who was fixing toilets and some actress who'd just missed her big shot for Hollywood.. a bit dire!

Mui Guy Ma hing dai was one of the best cantonese soaps I've ever seen, can I get this soap online or something?

Is this soap mandarin or cantonese? and who stars in it?

cantonese and I can't quite remember who stars in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Hacken Lee is one of them

Aye, he's the main actor in the soap, yeah?

What happens in it? someone dies? Weird going ons involving mix up in time? he ends up having 100 of the same shirts? Singing? falling in love with the wrong person?

Not really gonna spoil it for you, but the main plot is that a mother has lost contact with her son since he was small, and that son doesn't he she's his mother, she's pretty sure he's her son, you should really watch it, it's very interesting.

• Advertisement

Onto another soap though, has anyone seen stuff with Chow Yun Fat in it?? Isn't it weird watching him as a young boy not filled out at all??

Also, was anyone watching the re-runs on Monkey magic on Chanel 4 (I think it was.. at that hour of the night.. all the chanels look the same :) )

Advertisement