Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWN

Options
  • 14-03-2019 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

“It was either run really ****ing fast all my life or be destroyed by the stud farm”.

Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

It not clear from your post if you get the humor or are outraged?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

:cool:

Satire wouldn’t be doing its job if it caused outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Vexorg wrote: »
    It not clear from your post if you get the humor or are outraged?

Yeah reckon a little more commentary is good tbh ...

Personally I find link dumping just leaves other posters trying to second guess the OP ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Dr Jo Swabe...

She said: “Horses are particularly sensitive ‘flight’ animals who can easily panic and spook if they can’t escape danger, and so the industrialised slaughter process itself can be especially cruel for them.

“Their instinctive desire to escape causes them to thrash their heads frantically, making it difficult to effectively stun them prior to slaughter.”

She said the same ethical concerns also apply to other animals.

https://m.herald.ie/news/22000-unwanted-irish-horses-end-up-on-the-dining-table-37844675.html

Yes and horses lie on that peculiar boundary between prey and pets, illuminating humans’ (almost) boundless capacity for cognitive disssonance.

Satire has been used for centuries to point out ridiculousness in human behaviour but sadly it’s a slow process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m always fascinated by the social taboos around food. Irish meat eaters are very restricted in the animals consumed with shocking narrowing over a generation.
    I think the abject poverty in Ireland and the intrinsic value on animals such as horses carved them a special respect and kept them off the dinner plate here. I’ve eaten horse in France and it’s no different to beef, thus it was so easily substituted into the beef chain a few years ago.

I can indeed see how they pose a particular problem in the slaughter process compared to say their bovine brethren.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

auspicious wrote: »
    Dr Jo Swabe...

She said: “Horses are particularly sensitive ‘flight’ animals who can easily panic and spook if they can’t escape danger, and so the industrialised slaughter process itself can be especially cruel for them.

“Their instinctive desire to escape causes them to thrash their heads frantically, making it difficult to effectively stun them prior to slaughter.”

She said the same ethical concerns also apply to other animals.

https://m.herald.ie/news/22000-unwanted-irish-horses-end-up-on-the-dining-table-37844675.html
    Can you pelase give thought on links and passages that you post?

In general, I will be coming down harder on that in future as it's starting to plague the forum

Can you pelase give thought on links and passages that you post?

In general, I will be coming down harder on that in future as it's starting to plague the forum

Hi TA. 'scuse me for being thick, but do you mean "don't just give a link and quote from it" without giving your reasons? It isn't entirely clear to me, sorry. If yes, I'll keep it in mind, I've done it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, that's right. Sometimes I've seen several posts in a row that are just essentially links to other sites and no input from users.

Yes, that's right. Sometimes I've seen several posts in a row that are just essentially links to other sites and no input from users.

Thanks TA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement