Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your art/craftwork - show it here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

6a00d414277312685e0123de00803c860c-pi

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

Netanyahu, wow, love your artwork, especially the one on the third picture, really great texture!
    Will, really nice works, I can't even imagine how you make them...

I thought I'd post a couple of my paintings here:
    1. Irish pixie. Oil pastel on black card, 2.5 x 3.5 inches
    2. Little mermaid. oil pastel on black card, 2.5 x 3.5 inches

irishp.jpg

merma.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Just some random sketches from life and imagination.

faces.jpg
    02-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

Love the style Tanyabond.

Great character and work there Pauleee

subedei, thank you:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Subedei.

Another PS sketch from yesterday.
    girlface2.jpg

Cool nicely rendered, good expression, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 whereismysheep

few of my pieces
    peppers_colour_by_WaitingForTheWindow.jpg
    angel_by_WaitingForTheWindow.jpg
    dream_catcher_by_WaitingForTheWindow.jpg

still-life.jpg

Just a still life from three days ago. Haven't done anything since them as a result of drunkenness and hangovers :(

Back to some painting today!

Thanks subedei!

Photo study from today...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=937261&stc=1&d=1269292885

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Thanks subedei!

Photo study from today...

Nice but not your best IMHO.

Thanks Chorcai!
    Thanks Chorcai.

Well the hair, dress and chest area all need way more refinement. Infact the whole thing needs way more refinement but I decided to move on to something else.

But yeh, overall not so happy with the face area. Oh well, I wouldn't progress if I didn't fail sometimes!

Really nice work Paulleee, the face is great, tho only issue I would say is perhaps stronger lighting or more darks to add more variation to the values, but nice rendering anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 HelloNHOJ

'lo all.

NHOJ's the name and drawing's my game. Apparently, I quite like clichéd statements too. Ahem.

Aaaanyhoo. Drawings! BEHOLD! (you can head on over to my blog for more drawing-type-goodness)

BOXING
    MODOK
    SCANGER BOMBERMAN
    IR'N MUHN
    THORRRR
    NINJER TERTUL
    MAH BOI
    DOWNDIAGONALRIGHTPUNCH

PS: Apologies for only posting links, I'll give this post an edit soon-ish and insert some lovely, shiny images for your viewing pleasure.

Cool some nice work, like that cartoony style HelloNHOJ.

NHOJ, nice drawings! What do you use for colouring them?
    Tanya

Thanks for the kind words!

Tanya: Nothing more than a copy of Photoshop and a lot of patience!

So you mean they are digitally coloured? I see, I thought it was some kind of nice quality artist markers:)

Oh yeah, definitely digital. I do dabble with markers every now and then (the Bomberman pic being an example of a quick colouring job using said tools) but, for the most part, my colours are fully digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I drew a picture of Dexter Holland from The Offspring. The eyes aren't level, only realised afterwards:( and i could prob have done the mouth a bit better.

stuff002-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice rendering and values Censorh!t, pity about the things you point out, always a pain when u have gone too far and forgot a step, well done anyways

HelloNHOJ, do you use some kind of program first to "trace" your ink drawings? Like corel trace etc, or what do you do to make sure that your colouring doesn't go over the black lines?

Tanya:

Nope.

What you see there are the original inks, with no digital touching-up (besides a little tinkering to make sure the blacks are jet black and the whites are Daz white).

The way I go about preparing the lines is I make it so that all the white areas in the pic become invisible, leaving only the linework intact. I can then add colour on seperate layers placed underneath the linework layer, meaning that my inks remain untouched throughout (until I decide to give the lines a hint of colour towards the end).

I'm not very good at explaining things so I'll let the following tutorial do all the dirty work! Granted, this tute's ancient by now (I followed this very tutorial nearly 10 years ago!) but everything there is still relevant to this day. I hope that helps!

Preparing lines in Photoshop

EDIT: Oh, here's one of my newest pieces. It's for a contest over at Gaijin. If you're at all talented, I suggest you check it out!

BitchTripFinal.jpg
    Click for full version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Started this while I was at work with one of them plastic clutch pencils, so its all just in HB i think

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=702&pictureid=4446

I have brought some proper clucth pencils, I might give them a proper go this weekend :)

[EDIT] sorry about the size :( [/EDIT]

John, thanks so much for the link!!! It seems so easy:) I've done this teddy using that technique. I didn't colour it that way though as it would take froever selecting areas etc. Do you colour your illustrations like in the tutorial?

No problemo, Tanya, glad I could help!

Yeah, it seems complicated at first, but once you get used to it, it's a cinch. That teddy's looking good for your first time too, colours are a tad flat but you will get better with practice, guaranteed!

And yep, I do my colours (for the most part) by selecting areas using the 'Polygon Select' tool and then filling said areas with the desired colour. It's slow going at first, but once you get used to it it takes no time -- it's also the best method for getting that cartoony, cel-shaded look I'm so fond of doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jennypaul2009

awesummmm :D

John, but isn't it like redrawing it all over again on a computer? with that tool? how long lets say your current running person took you to colour it that way?
    Also I couldn't find any equivallent tool on photoshop similar to Fill tool in Corel where you can fill the object with colour/texture instead of brushing it all over. Is there a similar thing in Photoshop?

And thank you again for your help:)

I suppose it could be seen that way, Tanya. However, it's not like you have to pin-point every single line in your pic -- just a general selection that takes in the areas you want coloured will do the trick, so long as the colours don't spread out past the lines. Still, as you get more and more used to it, you discover little tricks and shortcuts along the way that will make your life much easier.

That last pic I posted took me a few hours (that's including the time spent figuring out the text and the placement/composition of everything). The easy part is laying out the flats, that doesn't take too long once you know what you're doing. The hard part (at least for me) is figuring out the shading/lighting and making sure it all fits together.

As I said, the more you do, the quicker you'll get. I've been colouring this way for roughly 10 years now and I am much, much better (not to mention, quicker) now than when I first started out.

Also, yeah, there's a fill tool in Photoshop -- if you look on the tools taskbar, it takes the form of a paintbucket. Even easier is if you do what I do and just use a keyboard shortcut -- Alt+Backspace (CMD+Backspace on a Mac) will fill in whatever area you have selected with whatever colour you have chosen as a foreground colour. Easy-peasy.

EDIT:

To give you an example of how far along I've come, here are some of my first tries at CGing --

ZymanColour1.jpg

StickEmUpCG.jpg

BonzaiiiiiiiColour.jpg

As you can see, I was very fond of using reds, blues and yellows in my pics back then!

• Advertisement

Getting myself prepared to finish the final 3 pages of the comic I'm working on. I did the following sketches today as a warmup (and also to iron out some niggles in some of the character designs).

DesignRedux.jpg

DesignRedux2.jpg

DesignRedux5.jpg

DesignRedux3.jpg

DesignRedux4.jpg

Advertisement