Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing at St. Wolfgang versus Bulgaria

Options
  • 13-11-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

We are first-time skiers and are trying to decide between going to St. Wolfgang, Austria or Borovets, Bulgaria early next year. St. Wolfgang is going to work out at €1k pp (!!) all in (flights, accod, food, tuition, equip) whereas Borovets will work out at €700 pp all in. St Wolfgang would be via a tour operator with direct flights whereas Borovets would be through lastminute.com with indirect flights. Apparently St. Wolfgang is not really a skiing place and you have to take a 45 min bus ride everyday to some nearby resort whereas in Borovets the skiing is practically at your doorstep. Any advice from someone who's been to one of these places or has heard reports?! Note that we're a couple in our thirties and not too into the nightlife scene anymore!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I've skied Austria and Bulgaria in the last 2 years and there is no comparison- Austria by a mile.
    Haven't been to the two places you mentioned. If you're looking at Austria, why not saalbach or somewhere nearer the skiing, no need to be 45 mins away!

Bulgaria is cheaper but the snow is not reliable so I wouldn't risk it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Thanks for feedback. What you've said about Austria versus Bulgaria fits alright with what I've been reading since about Bulgarian resorts. Only issue now is the St Wolfgang 'resort', which some have said is the most likely area NOT to get snow in Austria!! That's not encouraging given that we may be going before Jan now. I think it's too risky so we're going to look at a safer (but more expensive!) option like Soll, Kaprun etc.

Advertisement