Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going soon , any advice

Options
  • 01-01-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Going sking for the 1st time next week in samoens

Just wondering have i everything

Ski Jacket
    Ski Pants
    Thermal tops ie underarmour
    Googels
    Gloves
    Tube socks and a few fooball ones

Also is it just the underarmour top you wear inside the jacket and a fleece if its cold

And do you where a tracksuit bottoms under the ski pants or what, and do you need thermal underwear.

And if your not sking during the day, say goin in to town or somthing do you just where tracksuit bottoms fleeces and tees and a jacket and jeans and a fleece at night

Just to get snow boots for walking around, Most seem to cost around €100 and suncream, is there a special one for sking

Any other tips or advice would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Thermal underwear for the legs is probably a good idea.

Suncream is suncream. Don't forget your lips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I would only wear the fleece and thermal top while skiing if it is super cold, but personally i just wear my thermal top and my ski jacket, otherwise i tend to sweat too much. If you sweat to much and sit around in the cold it can be pretty uncomfortable.

You should defo get a pair of thermal pants aswell, then you shouldnt need the tracksuit under your ski pants, i found that tracksuit pants are a bit too bulky under the ski pants and besides thermals are much warmer.

A pair of boots, jeans and a warm jacket should be fine for walking around town. A pair of normal gloves, scarf and hat might be useful too.

Like imposter said about your lips, if its sunny your lips can get really dry and chapped.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You don't need special boots for wandering around the town, just the same footwear that you put on for a normal night out on the beers back home. Also I think the football socks are probably a bad idea, something I seem to remember about whatever they are made from is not fun after you feet have been stuck trapped in the ski boots for a whole day.

Thermal top and ski jacket is all that I would be wearing during the day skiing, unless it's really really cold. But if your just starting skiing and taking lessons then you may find yourself standing around for a bit during the first days so if anything wear too much to start off with and then take layers off as you warm up and get to know how much you feel the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

robinph wrote: »
    You don't need special boots for wandering around the town, just the same footwear that you put on for a normal night out on the beers back home.

I agree you dont need any special boots, but some sort of boot would be advised, if it has snowed down in the town or the snow in the town is slushy your feet will be soaked if you just wear any normal pair of shoes or runners. So its handy to have a pair of boots just in case otherwise your shoes/runners will do fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I guess because my normal footware is a pair of boots anyway I forget that people wander around in runners normally as I only use my runners for running. Basically you just need footwear that could survive a rainy day out back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Thanks for all the advice guys, as i play sports would the thermal undershorts do that i usualy use be fine for inside the ski pants or would i be better getting thermal bottoms.

Think ill stick to the thermal top and jacket as there is only 3 of us and we have a private instructor

As for ski boots i think ill just get a pair o water proof boots just too be on the safe side as i usually weae trainers on a night out.

Ill bring a a fleece or 2 for sking anyway just to be on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 behy

going Sking in france in december so bought all my gear on ebay. Got it all yesterday. Top stuff at Very cheap prices compared to all retail stores I had visited. Search for ... on ebay. more of my friends ordered from them last night after see what I got. Irish based company as well so fast shipping and supporting local business. Cant praise them enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

I'm not sure what it's called, but I have a thing that's made out of fleece type material. It's basically just a polo neck type collar and with a retangle coming down over your chest area. Best thing I ever bought as it's easy to whip off if you get too hot. Just that a face mask, two thermals, light ski jacket and cap was fine for -19c in Canada a few years ago. You should easily be able to pick one up for a few euros at the resort.

I think that a few layers of thermals are better than a fleece as you can always take one off and shove it in the back pack if you get to hot and I find them less bulky than a fleece which is more all or nothing.

Out of interest how are you getting to Samoens is it from Geneva?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I think for walking around a village what you would wear tonight at home if you had to walk to the pub is grand, but include an extra pair of socks, good fitting gloves and a wooley hat.

If you intend on jumping in piles of snow and maybe going for a walk up the mountains I would recommend a cheap pair of hiking boots or runner boots would be sound.

do not do the same as a friend of mine & bring a pair of steeltoe cap boots, Ryanairs baggage policy meant he had to travel in them.

but have a read of the sticky, the advice there is pretty good.
    behy wrote: »
    ....Top stuff at Very cheap prices compared to all retail stores I had visited. Search for vmanstat on ebay.

is this the guy?
    http://sports.shop.ebay.ie/Skiing-/16059/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=vmanstat&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

... seems a little expensive to me, €70 for gloves????

can anyone reccommend site's for buying ski gear online, or should I look at the sticky:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

I'm not sure what it's called, but I have a thing that's made out of fleece type material. It's basically just a polo neck type collar and with a retangle coming down over your chest area. Best thing I ever bought as it's easy to whip off if you get too hot. Just that a face mask, two thermals, light ski jacket and cap was fine for -19c in Canada a few years ago. You should easily be able to pick one up for a few euros at the resort.

I think that a few layers of thermals are better than a fleece as you can always take one off and shove it in the back pack if you get to hot and I find them less bulky than a fleece which is more all or nothing.

Out of interest how are you getting to Samoens is it from Geneva?

Take a look at the post date of this thread 1-1-09 ie. last season!
    No need to give the man advice on ski wear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Take a look at the post date of this thread 1-1-09 ie. last season!
    No need to give the man advice on ski wear!

lol I rose to the bait :o

just because this will be a topic in the near future here is the link to the sticky...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055222268

follow the advice there & do not pay €70 for gloves if it is your first time skiing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

:o

Advertisement