Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Issues

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Guys don't know if this is even allowed warrant a new thread here, i've never posted here before and have to get something off my chest.

This has actually just been building up for ages now. I am so upset, all the time. My family treat me like absolute dirt all of the time. It's constant. Name-calling, sneering, remarks about my personal appearance. I never do any harm, never cause any trouble. It just seems that whatever they know will irritate me, they do. Just for the fun of it. I know this probably sounds like many teenagery ranty posts, but i'm actually ridiculously upset. It seems every day, it's a different name they're calling me, poking fun at some aspect of my appearance, and just genuinely trying to knock down any level of self-esteem I have. It's everyone, my Mother, father, siblings. I'm having a tough enough year doing exams as it is, but no matter what I talk about, there's always a level of eye-rolling, snide remarks and general disinterest. They never ask me how i'm getting on, what i'm feeling, or talk to me in general. I'm sitting here in my room crying while writing this, the level of hurt and pain that's been inflicted upon me for no apparent reason is just bubbling over. I don't know what to do, i'm so upset. A new one lately has been saying that I have some form of Autism because i'm shy and don't go out much on account of me trying to succeed at my studies. And as soon as someone comes to visit, it's all happy families. I'm done with trying to hide how I feel, i'm sick of it.

Please someone give me some advice as to what to do. I'm so lost at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Sorry to hear your family are being so horrible PictureFrame. It's good to get it off your chest though so good on you for that, it can be so hard to talk about things like this. Always here for a PM if you want to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Togepi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your family are being so horrible PictureFrame. It's good to get it off your chest though so good on you for that, it can be so hard to talk about things like this. Always here for a PM if you want to talk.
    Thank you it's just so difficult to understand why i'm being targeted who are supposed to treat you well and love you. :( I just don't know anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Have you said anything to them? It sounds like it doesn't even occur to them that it's so hurtful. Letting them know sounds like a good first step to me. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of thing, so if they understand how it makes you feel they should stop making you the butt of their jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Thank you it's just so difficult to understand why i'm being targeted who are supposed to treat you well and love you. :( I just don't know anymore.

I know, it must be pretty tough to get your head around to say the least. Talking to them about it might be a good start so you could always try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Have you said anything to them? It sounds like it doesn't even occur to them that it's so hurtful. Letting them know sounds like a good first step to me. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of thing, so if they understand how it makes you feel they should stop making you the butt of their jokes.

They know alright, that's one of the problems. They just keep at it because they know, I can't even explain it. It's ridiculous, I haven't had a proper conversation with my Dad in years. I see everyone else in School and that, they're not perfect certainly, but they're not treated with the level of disrespect and hurt I deal with everyday. I just put on a happy face and plough through it. I can even feel my self confidence has shaken over the last 2 years, apart from a couple of close friends, I don't share much with anybody. And even with my friends, I don't confide in them the issues I have with my family. They wouldn't believe me. On the surface, everything appears perfect, in balance. I have good Grades, a healthy lifestyle etc. but I just always am on the defensive because of the way i'm being treated. Then People in school are jealous and give out as I appear to 'have it all'. The reality is i'd swap my grades, talents and a lot more for people that don't make me feel like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Hi PictureFrame, really sorry to hear what you're going through. It sounds like a really toxic situation to be in. You don't deserve to be treated like that.

Although I know you'd like advice from your peers, I think it'd be a good idea to post your OP in the Personal Issues forum. There are people there from all different kinds of backgrounds who have a lot more life experience, and may have gone through similar things who will be able to give you some advice. They have a lot more traffic there too, so there'll be plenty of people to try and help you out.

I can't really imagine how you're feeling at the moment, and I have no idea what kind of advice to give you. I hope your situation improves soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Have you gone to your school guidance/counselor and spoke to them.
    I had to do it when i was back in 3rd year. My parents were called in. Mortified they were but it all stopped. I also moved out because it wasnt worth the hassle.
    I think when your parents learn that your talking about them gets right up under there skin. but its the only way. No one should be treated like that by parents. Silblings not much you can do its a natural thing.

Advertisement