Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBT recommendations

Options
  • 18-06-2020 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on doing the IBT in Dublin. Was supposed to do it last year but life got in the way.

I've been looking here and on Biker.ie, seems Irishmotorcycletraining (Tony Agnew) and Roadtraining (Mick Finlay) come highly recommended although the latter is based in Monasterevin (?) and I can't get out there. Is there anyone else who comes as highly recommended as those two lads?

Also, does anyone know if the IBT courses are even running at the moment? Dont see any updates on websites/Facebook pages.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on doing the IBT in Dublin. Was supposed to do it last year but life got in the way.

I've been looking here and on Biker.ie, seems Irishmotorcycletraining (Tony Agnew) and Roadtraining (Mick Finlay) come highly recommended although the latter is based in Monasterevin (?) and I can't get out there. Is there anyone else who comes as highly recommended as those two lads?

Also, does anyone know if the IBT courses are even running at the moment? Dont see any updates on websites/Facebook pages.

Cheers!

Try this boards page https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056323977/175/#post113772416 few lads here chatting about it.

Hi all,

Cheers!

Some IBT’s are running and some are starting back July 4th. Most I’ve heard of is Dublin based IBT’s that are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hi all,

Cheers!

Unfortunately Mick Finlay was in a very bad motorbike accident and is still recovering so is out of the picture for a while, a jeep on the wrong side of the the road hit him!!!!

Hopefully he will be back stronger then ever.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Try this boards page https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056323977/175/#post113772416 few lads here chatting about it.

Thanks man!
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Unfortunately Mick Finlay was in a very bad motorbike accident and is still recovering so is out of the picture for a while, a jeep on the wrong side of the the road hit him!!!!

Hopefully he will be back stronger then ever.....;)

That's awful. I might be remembering someone else, but I think I was chatting to Mick back when I was initially looking into the IBT and he was a gent. Glad to hear he's on the mend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Thanks man!

That's awful. I might be remembering someone else, but I think I was chatting to Mick back when I was initially looking into the IBT and he was a gent. Glad to hear he's on the mend though.

He is a great chap and one of the best instructors around, sure he trained most of the lads on here id say tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

+1 for Mick Finlay, I had the pleasure of being one of Mick’s pupils not long before his accident, a really really nice fellow. Looking forward to seeing him back on the saddle, hopefully in the near future.

In Mick’s absence give his business partner Mick Smyth a call, I wouldn’t be advocating Tony Moore but of course each to their own.

In Mick’s absence give his business partner Mick Smyth a call, I wouldn’t be advocating Tony Moore but of course each to their own.

Does Mick cover Dublin do you know? Seems to be Wexford based.

Tony Moore is a different fella, I was talking about Tony Agnew :P Would be interested to hear why you would be adverse to recommending him though, as I've definitely read the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Does Mick cover Dublin do you know? Seems to be Wexford based.

Tony Moore is a different fella, I was talking about Tony Agnew :P Would be interested to hear why you would be adverse to recommending him though, as I've definitely read the name.

This is their site, they work together to cover pretty much all of Leinster, i know one of them definitely does Dublin, unsure on the other.
    http://www.roadtraining.ie/

If i speak about Tony Moore i reckon i'l get banned so best for me to shut up in that regard. Google does hold some answers on people's opinions.

This is their site, they work together to cover pretty much all of Leinster, i know one of them definitely does Dublin, unsure on the other.
    http://www.roadtraining.ie/

If i speak about Tony Moore i reckon i'l get banned so best for me to shut up in that regard. Google does hold some answers on people's opinions.

:pac: Fair enough, thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Paul Jenkins in kilternan. Done mine with him there last year. Passed the test first go.

Supposed to have a very good pass rate. Even the tester mentioned it to me on the day!

Does the rospa training as well, might go back to do it at some point!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Christy down at ISM was great as well. Did my IBT with him in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Jaysus didn't know that about Mick. Hope he makes a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did mine with Paul Jenkins, very thorough, very strict and his fleet of bikes is very fresh, Yamaha MT07. Based in Kiltiernan, my in the road was all around South Dublin and then a spin to Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'd recommend :
    https://www.aaronridertraining.com/

Peter Bookey taught me how to ride motorcycles.
    I passed my test first time with only 1 green strike.

He was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd recommend :

He was excellent.

These were recommended to me too, 10 week waiting list back in Feb and I wasn't asking for a weekend slot. I have heard great things though from a few lads

I'd recommend :

He was excellent.
    These were recommended to me too, 10 week waiting list back in Feb and I wasn't asking for a weekend slot. I have heard great things though from a few lads

Thanks lads, had actually come across them a while after making this thread. Waiting for a call back and hopefully be doing it with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mrhellboy218

goblin59 wrote: »
    Christy down at ISM was great as well. Did my IBT with him in November.

I second this recomendation. I just finished my IBT with Chrissy 2 weeks ago was an absolute blast, great teacher, really cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roisinbeag

Thanks lads, had actually come across them a while after making this thread. Waiting for a call back and hopefully be doing it with them :)

I did my IBT with Aaron Rider in April 2019 and would highly recommend them. I was a very nervous first timer and found Peter and Eric brilliant. My husband and his brother did their IBT a few months before me with another instructor they found who was cheaper, but they did not enjoy their experience with him and wouldn't recommend him - my husband and I will be doing our pretests with Aaron Rider too.
    Best of luck with your IBT!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I just saw this pop up on roadskill page apparently you need your own ear piece for the test now.

105026591_3023159247766093_6368081989076450526_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Ub9_VyaSDvwAX-0zxQ2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=f8c8002d86a02af5b2fe3f5614cef29c&oe=5F17819C

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I just saw this pop up on roadskill page apparently you need your own ear piece for the test now.

105026591_3023159247766093_6368081989076450526_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Ub9_VyaSDvwAX-0zxQ2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=f8c8002d86a02af5b2fe3f5614cef29c&oe=5F17819C

Wonder how they’ll work it for IBT training?

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/ExLHTzWylm4

Just found this on Aaron Rider Training, talk about a decorated riding instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Wonder how they’ll work it for IBT training?

They will probally put it down to the individual.

TBH the style of in ear piece they use (flat-on ear), just telling everyone to bring a sandwich bag to stick it in would keep it safe for use haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Aaron rider training are selling the ear pieces for €5. Id say you could just use a set of headphones but they advise no to have a talk back function just hearing only for test.

Advertisement