Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Belfast Intl Airport, Aldergrove - by Public Transport?

Options
  • 27-09-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I have to fly out of Belfast Intl next month and wonder what are my options to get there by public transport? I will be coming from Cork and will firstly need to get to Dublin where I am planning to take the Enterprise from Connolly to Lanyon Place in Belfast, or alternatively the Aircoach or Dublin Coach to Belfast. There is a good bit of back tracking from Belfast back out to Aldergrove so I'm wondering if there is a bus service from Portadown to Aldergrove instead?

I have never flown from the airport but due to the Covid situation I have to fly in and out of the UK rather than RoI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was also thinking if it is possible to change trains at Portadown to instead arrive in Great Victoria Street to be able to catch the bus to Belfast Intl?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

theguzman wrote: »
    I was also thinking if it is possible to change trains at Portadown to instead arrive in Great Victoria Street to be able to catch the bus to Belfast Intl?

Yes, that's the best plan. The trains from Connolly all go to Lanyon Place but virtually all of the NI Translink trains from Portadown stop at Gt. Victoria St.

Conveniently, the Translink timetable for that line shows the trains from Connolly so it's easy to see how to make the connection in Portadown i.e. you won't need to cross-reference with the IR timetable.

Here are some examples of times when you can make the connection, based on the Mon-Fri timetable. The first time is Enterprise arrival in Portadown from Connolly, second time is NI Translink departure to Gt. Victoria St.

09:09 09:15
    11:08 11:15
    13:04 13:15

Unlike Irish Rail, Translink has a separate timetable PDF file for northbound and southbound trains. The timetables you need are the first two at this page....

https://www.translink.co.uk/timetables?locationId=&name=&locationType=&transportMode=Train&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I have never flown from the airport but due to the Covid situation I have to fly in and out of the UK rather than RoI.

OP, do you mean, to avoid the advice from the government not to fly in and out of the ROI for non essential purposes you’re going to leave the ROI through the border and return the same way (which is not advised against) just so you ‘don’t have to restrict your movements’?

If that is the case, you’re misunderstanding the advice from the government.

If you’re resident in Cork, you can travel to DUB airport for the purposes of a flight out, return to DUB, complete the Passenger Locator Form and proceed to Cork after. You need not restrict your movements upon return.

In fact, coming and going through NI to somehow circumvent this advice is folly in the extreme. You’re wasting your time and perhaps adding further cost too for no reason.

The NI exemption to the ROI ‘quarantine’ advice wasn’t designed to be used this way. If you’re going to ignore that advice, you might as well ignore the advice to non-Dublin residents not to travel into the county unless essential and to quarantine upon return (also not essential)

It’s worth looking into your plans further, if they are as I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You'd probably be as well to stay on board as far as Belfast and transfer there onto a local service to GVS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd probably be as well to stay on board as far as Belfast and transfer there onto a local service to GVS.

You might have a point there. OP could run into difficulties with ticketing - the NI Translink train from Portadown to GVS might not accept his Enterprise ticket.

So he might be better buying an online Translink ticket from Lanyon Place to GVS, stay on the Enterprise to Lanyon Place, then hop on a southbound (towards Portadown) train back to GVS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

coylemj wrote: »
    You might have a point there. OP could run into difficulties with ticketing - the NI Translink train from Portadown to GVS might not accept his Enterprise ticket.

So he might be better buying an online Translink ticket from Lanyon Place to GVS, stay on the Enterprise to Lanyon Place, then hop on a southbound (towards Portadown) train back to GVS.

You can buy a ticket on board a Translink train from the conductor-guard so there's no need to head upstairs and back down again. Usually they'll let you on anyway if you've alighted from the Enterprise but be prepared to pay just in case. Almost all of their locals services go to GVS so you won't be waiting too long.

You can also get a bus transfer from the front door into the city centre; it is covered with your ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

3xh wrote: »
    If you’re resident in Cork, you can travel to DUB airport for the purposes of a flight out, return to DUB, complete the Passenger Locator Form and proceed to Cork after. You need not restrict your movements upon return.

Unless you’re flying in from Liechtenstein, Latvia, Cyprus or Finland, then you you need to. Following advice like the above is partially why our numbers are what they are.

Advertisement