Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New social housing Johnstown court

Options
  • 22-09-2020 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have come across the report regarding social housing and it looks like there are 51 units allocated in Johnstown court, Cabinteely. Seems like a new block that is currently being built will go all for social. Managed by cluid homes
    I am in the process of buying nearby and I’m quite worried about this. Does anyone know anything else?

https://rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Construction-Status-Report-Q4-2019-1.pdf

Page 34 of the report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Speak to Cluid and ask what their policy is regarding possible anti social behaviour, but that can happen in private residences too.

I think all residents for Cluid have to be vetted and are under rules and regs. But who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Hi, I have come across the report regarding social housing and it looks like there are 51 units allocated in Johnstown court, Cabinteely. Seems like a new block that is currently being built will go all for social. Managed by cluid homes
    I am in the process of buying nearby and I’m quite worried about this. Does anyone know anything else?

https://rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Construction-Status-Report-Q4-2019-1.pdf

Page 34 of the report

Cabinteely is not cheap. You are taking a risk. You are better off aiming for an area that is unlikely to be developed or redeveloped. Absolute minefield out there.

I am in the process of buying nearby and I’m quite worried about this. Does anyone know anything

What are you worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

My instinct would be 'run away and don't look back'. But the bloody things are everywhere these days (except right by the super rich). What's a man to do?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Probably the possible horses, scramblers, noisy neighbours, drug dealers, travellers etc.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    Probably the possible horses, scramblers, noisy neighbours, drug dealers, travellers etc.

?
    You will have to explain?

?
    You will have to explain?
    Social housing often means...horses, scramblers, noisy neighbours, drug dealers, travellers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The answer is in title of the OP.

Social housing often means...horses, scramblers, noisy neighbours, drug dealers, travellers etc.

Does it?
    How often?

kravmaga wrote: »
    The answer is in title of the OP.

Don't see anything to be worried about in the title?

• Advertisement

Blame mc Verry and the homeless charities now. They just want more money from us, but don't seem to care if there are any implications from less than neighbourly people around who are provided these homes from our taxes.

I know they are not ALL like that, but a good majority are sadly and there do not seem to be any sanctions whatsoever for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Yes, I’m worried about anti social behavior

Speak to Cluid and ask what their policy is regarding possible anti social behaviour, but that can happen in private residences too.

I think all residents for Cluid have to be vetted and are under rules and regs. But who knows?

I’m calling them tomorrow

Does it?
    How often?

Would you live near a social housing development yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I do....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Reality is that even in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, you're rarely more than a stone's throw away from people you might not want to live near.

Housing associations tend to have stricter rules on anti social behaviour than local authorities so it's not the end of the world.

Yes, I’m worried about anti social behavior

Don't be
    You can't choose your neighbours OP, no matter where you live

Would you live near a social housing development yourself?

Yep.
    No problem

Does it?
    How often?
    Are taking this personally, or just being awkward? If you live in a social housing area I'm sure you're an upstanding citizen and a credit to the area, but social estates are usually dragged down and ruined by the local hoodlums and layabouts. We all know this. And if you are paying 300k+ for your house, one wants to make sure they don't end up living on Benefits Street.

Are taking this personally, or just being awkward? If you live in a social housing area I'm sure you're an upstanding citizen and a credit to the area, but social estates are usually dragged down and ruined by the local hoodlums and layabouts. We all know this. And if you are paying 300k+ for your house, one wants to make sure they don't end up living on Benefits Street.

No, we don't all know this.
    Considering the thousands of people in Dublin alone that live in social housing or private houses paid by HAP, it's amazing that Dublin is as peaceful as it is! If we believe what you seem to!

• Advertisement

Yep.
    No problem

I doubt it if you are paying for your house with your own means. Well to be fair I'd be the same.

But if you are not paying for it yourself that's fine, otherwise use due diligence and don't be so naive these days. But maybe you think it's fine to get a humungous mortgage and live next to scrotes who pay 1/30th of your monthly mortgage in order to drive the location down.

Fine. Doesn't sound too forward thinking to me. But whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Social housing is fine OP.

Social housing is fine OP.
    It's grand when you pay shag all to the council, in fairness.

I doubt it if you are paying for your house with your own means. Well to be fair I'd be the same.

You doubt I'm paying for my own home?I
    How very up your own hole of you!
    Check all my posts if you want. I pay my way in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The housing associations and councils are buying up private houses all over the place, you've no idea who your next door neighbour is going to be regardless of where you buy or live. The development at RTE has social housing.

One of my concerns is that there’s another block by the same developer that is going to be built right in front on this one, probably going for social too. That’s more than 100 units in two blocks one in front of another. I’m all in for social housing, but I don’t believe in building whole blocks for it, as it leads to the formation of guettos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Free gaffs.

Foreva homes.

10,000 homeless.

This country is heading one way.

One of my concerns is that there’s another block by the same developer that is going to be built right in front on this one, probably going for social too. That’s more than 100 units in two blocks one in front of another. I’m all in for social housing, but I don’t believe in building whole blocks for it, as it leads to the formation of guettos
    Not worth the risk, by the sounds of it. Move to an established private area. You may miss out on fancy heat pumps and all that stuff, but better chance of it being a settled place with less chance of hassle, and your property holding its value.

We will try to investigate more tomorrow. It’s not next door to where we are planning to buy, but a 5-10 minute walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The Johnstown side of the area and the other side of Kilbogget towards Ballybrack (for all that they liked to call it 'Killiney' :pac:) was always (probably unfairly) seen as a bit rougher than the areas nearer the village and up Brennanstown way. Doesn't and never did matter a damn.

When I was a kid, there was a halting/Traveller cottages site off the N11 near to Shrewsbury Lawn, and I don't believe there were problems. There were also settled Travellers in around Woodlands. And I think Churchview used to be social. I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement