Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried about family member

• 15-09-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this post as im very concerned about my dad who is 63 years old and is still working as a plasterer. My dad had open heart surgery over a year a go and was advised to give up work as he is getting older and the job can be very physically demanding. Unfortunately my dad does not have a private pension and therefore he cannot afford to retire. On top of this my mum suffers from a chronic mental illness and my Dad has to pay for psychiatrists and doctors for her. Unfortunately i cannot afford to give my parents money as i am a housewife. I love my dad very much and my. Mum and im very worried that something may happen to him on the job. He is feeling breathless sometimes while working and i know he cant keep going. I want to ask is there any financial support for elderly construction workers and also how much is the state pension?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

State pension is €248 per week but unfortunately your dad is still too young to claim it.

If is health is as bad as you say he may qualify for disability allowance, there's a State Benefits forum on here that would probably be the better place to get advice on this, I'm sure the mods will move the thread if you want.

I hope you/he gets sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

My dad is in a similar situation, heart condition, physical job and no pension. Theres really nothing you can do, sorry to say but your dad has known for along time that he would one day need a pension, this might sound a bit cold but he should have prepared, we all have to prepare when we know we wont have a fall back.
    If anything, look into supports for your mother as that will take the pressure off your dad. Is she entitled to a medical card? does she work herself? if she's not working due to her illness could your dad go onto the carers allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Could you get a side gig going, and give your Dad some money. There's loads of websites where you can make money online. Upwork, fiverr, usertesting....

Where's the rest of the family? Uncles, Aunts, your husband? Isn't there someone who could give your Dad a dig out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Could you get a side gig going, and give your Dad some money. There's loads of websites where you can make money online. Upwork, fiverr, usertesting....

Where's the rest of the family? Uncles, Aunts, your husband? Isn't there someone who could give your Dad a dig out.

It's not up to her to financially support her dad and not all families are able or willing to lend each other money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mod:

Dial Hard is right, I think this would be better suited to the State Benefits forum, so I'm going to move it there. Posters should note that their charter now applies.

I think you should contact your nearest Citizens Information office for further information. He may well be entitled to carer's allowance and it would be worth finding out if he would be entitled to an invalidity pension if his health does continue to decline to the point where he cannot work but cannot claim the state pension either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

My dad had open heart surgery over a year ago and was advised to give up work as he is getting older and the job can be very physically demanding.

Was he advised this by his GP or Consultant or by a concerned friend?

If the former then he really should have been advised to consider applying for DA and/or IB.

Either way he can do it now and should (assuming that he's been paying either the Class A (employee) or Class S (self-employed) rate of PRSI).

On top of this my mum suffers from a chronic mental illness and my Dad has to pay for psychiatrists and doctors for her.

As previously advised, look into your father getting carer's allowance - or carer's benefit - for your mum; as well as applying for a medical or GP card.

Citizens information is the place to start - Citizens Information Phone Service is at 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).

Down the road he may also be eligible for the HBP.

Advertisement