Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nobody is excusing or absolving Kurtzmann of criticism he gets a ton of it. It also doesn't rewrite the past to pretend anything else was better than it was. As for Bermantrek I think your review is spot on.

I would say Picard s2 is the worst season of any Trek. I can't getting over how absolutely incredibly bad the plots are. The whole having the main cast play different parts is shockingly stupid, Astronaut Picard was pointless, Guinan was pointless, Maman Picard, Borgati and whatever Q were up to was utter shte. If Picard can remember the bullet holes in his house that he created in the past how come he can't remember the guys he teleported into the wall.

And worst of all how can you give us a story about Q dying and do nothing to explain it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I disagree about Picard S2 being the worst of any Trek. The last season of Disco was the worst season of any show I’ve watched all the way through, no idea why I didn’t just stop watching it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

In fairness I only watched half that season. All I remember is the lad from the Expanse and Burnham granting herself total power of oversight of the entire Federation (that actually happened and for some reason no seemed to think it's as bonkers as I did)

It just absolutely bored the arss of me watching Disco play the same record for a 3rd season in a row.

Still though what I saw did at least have a linear plot. Picard was just an absolute mess of shte thrown together. Like who the fuk was the FBI guy. Lost had less stupid random shte.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You missed them talking to a race of alien super beings using smells. You’re lucky

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't comment on Disco season 4 as I never watched it but I think season 2 of Picard was the worst because it wasn't even well written from the point of view of "things set ok 202X Earth". It wasn't well written drama, period. I can forgive sci-fi that has lapses in logic due to the inherent unreality - but simple earthbound stories?

There were lots of stupid reductions and basic logical blunders that made the script genuinely idiotic in places. It's one thing to flub your canon, another to forget where your characters are in relation to each other (see Soong's stupid car homicide), or have pointless slow car chases.

• Advertisement

7 being an expert car driver was fuking stupid. Ya fans wrote it off with some holodeck mumbojumbo but it was stupid.

Also the Borg Queen was lonely but we were told she can speak to every Borg Queen everywhere across the central finite curve.

If they wanted to give Brady and Brones work why not just have Q teleport them with the others. It just made no sense.

Elnor got a bullet at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Folks. Folks. FOLKS.... Let's agree.... We're ALL losers in this situation. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's true: we're kinda dancing on the head of a pin here, quibbling over two shows as shíte as each other, separated by degrees.

Look, Guinan didn't know Picard. That was enough to show just how little they cared about the actual characters

And 10 Forward was a fekin deck on the ship not named after a bar.

Why did Q even do it there was no bad guy to stop. Did he really do the whole thing just to have one last hijinks with Picard.

It really seems like they just pull references out of a hat. Guinan, Supervisors, Borg Queen, Q as if that will keep the nerds happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, Guinan not recognising Picard was OK - Alternate Timeline with no Federation so Picard never let her with Mark Twain etc.

But yeah, 10 Forward? That was just for the damn trailer and the memberberries

Except that Guinan is able to sense changes to her timeline, like with Tasha

Ya but they could have still had 10 Forward in the future. It would have made sense for Guinan to have a themed bar but not in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If, for some reason you're subscribed to Paramount+ and were going to swap over to Prime for Picard then no need as Paramount have struck a deal which allows the show to turn up on both services (Lower Decks as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

They must be getting really to pull it from Prime then. Damn, Netflix Trek will probably pulled soon also.

Would be an awful pity to lose it from Netflix. It's my only permanent streaming service because it has such a good back catalogue. No way I am paying for 52 weeks of Paramount.

Seven seas for me so, as they refuse to remaster DS9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

Same here, I’m even doing yet another DS9 run on Netflix at the moment. Would very much have liked the ability to stream the TOS / TNG movies too, but alas all that ever appeared was the JJ movies.

I can’t see myself putting cash down for P+ without some other major draw. Although I’m all for supporting the creation of more Strange New Worlds & Lower Decks, I’d be annoyed knowing my cash was also going to more damned Discovery and if Picard S3 turns out to actually be horrible I don’t want to reward them for doing that either.

On the flip side of that, if Picard S3 turns out to be a timeless classic with promises of similar in future…I might be persuaded *maybe*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭squonk

I stopped. Couldn’t take more after 5 episodes and I watched those intermittently as it was. That show would be long gone in the real world if stripped of its Paramount+ flagship Star Trek status. Awful. Absolutely awful.

Funny. Whatever about 7 suddenly knowing how to drive a car in Picard S2, my biggest WTF moment was Gerati breaking into that Pat Benetar number in one of the episodes. Honestly if you asked me to spontaneously do a number from 400 odd years in the lady ask I could think of I’d greensleeves and I don’t even know many of the lyrics. I’d bet many of the posters here under age 30 would have known that song beforehand. I’m totally not buying that a woman in the distant future knows the lyrics to shadows of the night off hand. Maybe the Borg are big into their 80’s nostalgia or something? Had she even gone Borg by then? I can’t remember.

• Advertisement

In slim, bordering on anorexic defence of the writing, Trek has always had a disproportionate fascination with the 20th century's pop culture that doesn't make sense when one looks at it critically. Obviously makes sense as an audience and narrative device.

At least in that case in Picard, the culture picked something more current than 30s gumshoe stories, perhaps reflecting the age and generation of the writers. Give it enough time I'm sure future Trek characters will be listening to ... Uhhh Smash Mouth, watching the OC and other 2000s treasures lol.

I always thought there should be ships with random names. How come no scientist past the 20th century ever gets a ship.

As usual only LD really picks up on it with a character into modern music (Klingon acid punk)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Voyager had modern Klingon music too in the episode with the Doctor's holofamily. There are plenty of USS <Name> ships without any clear origin for the name in-universe, mostly named after cast or crew, which could easily be a scientific or military figure from the 21st century onwards. There are a few USS Cochranes too IIRC.

Speaking of ships. In Picard our trip to the

Enterprise F will be for it's decommissioning.

Weird choice and I'de say it's just to canonise it. Surely the E is a better choice story wise.

Agreed. I’d have thought that applied to the enterprise E much more given it only appeared in one of the TNG era movies. The E must have had a very short operational life

3 of the TNG movies. But I can't see any reason for the F other than to canonise an ugly ship only liked in their tiny corner of the fandom.

Using STO did get them access to a pretty big library of ships to avoid another ctrl+c ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+vctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v fleet. So I'll let the lack of E slide despite it being a better fit story wise. It'd only be a bout 30 years old by season 3 but she did have a pretty hard life.

Maybe this is the heart of the Federation: a feckless, indolent population who forgot how to produce art of any worth cos they endure no hardship or limitation. So instead, similar to our own current pop culture zeitgeist people turn to extreme nostalgia cos they forgot how to create new things. Hence why humans seem more interested in alien culture: there's nothing of their own to latch onto.

But they would have access to the E and could still use Odyssey class in the background or use the F in a different way.

• Advertisement

It could be down to the lack of E style sets. It might be easier to redress an existing set as a new bridge instead of trying to recreate the E's.

Advertisement