Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor facebook post today

Options
  • 29-11-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

What does anyone make of Sinead O'Connor's latest facebook post about taking an overdose? (It is from this evening).

It's on her 'official' facebook page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yeah, I saw it, I rang Irishtown Gardai, they said that they are aware and looking into it.
    Hope she's OK and gets the help she so obviously needs

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

oh gawd, she must have a new album out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw it, I rang Irishtown Gardai, they said that they are aware and looking into it.

Yeah luckily a lot of people seemed to have rung it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

she needs help fast - so do her children

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Ah jesus, lads, that's distressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just file it alongside her other episodes.

I'm a priest
    I'm a nun
    I'm a lesbian
    I want to get married (to a man)
    I'm retiring
    I'm playing Vicar St next week etc etc

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

you rang irishtown gardai?really?
    do you know her personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What the hell does it matter if the person knew her personally or not? If I saw a stranger about to jump off a bridge I'd ring the Gardai.

Well done that person and indeed all the people who rang the gardai.

I've had a look at her facebook page and it's clear this is way beyond the attention seeking or new album coming out as has been claimed here. This is a woman in a very very dark place and descending further who needs support rather than to be mocked.

Some people clearly need to cop on. Sorry to see the stigma around mental illness is still alive and well.

The is a very very sad situation for Sinead and indeed for her family. My sympathies lie with them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

furiousox wrote: »
    Just file it alongside her other episodes.

I'm a priest
    I'm a nun
    I'm a lesbian
    I want to get married (to a man)
    I'm retiring
    I'm playing Vicar St next week etc etc

She still is worthy of help and respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

anewme wrote: »
    What the hell does it matter if the person knew her personally or not? If I saw a stranger about to jump off a bridge I'd ring the Gardai.

Well done that person and indeed all the people who rang the gardai.

I've had a look at her facebook page and it's clear this is way beyond the attention seeking or new album coming out as has been claimed here. This is a woman in a very very dark place and descending further who needs support rather than to be mocked.

Some people clearly need to cop on. Sorry to see the stigma around mental illness is still alive and well.

The is a very very sad situation for Sinead and indeed for her family. My sympathies lie with them all.

that is a completely and i mean a completely different suituation.this woman is one of the most high profile women in the country.
    i just find it weird that a complete stranger sees a facebook post and said jeez sinead o connor is in trouble i better ring the gardai.
    maybe its well meaning but jesus its like me seeing that daniel o donnell just fell and broke his ankle on facebook.wait a minute ill ring an ambulance for him.
    its madness.
    and stigma my arse im well aware of the awful affects mental illness has on people,my point has nothing got to do with it.

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    that is a completely and i mean a completely different suituation.this woman is one of the most high profile women in the country.
    i just find it weird that a complete stranger sees a facebook post and said jeez sinead o connor is in trouble i better ring the gardai.
    maybe its well meaning but jesus its like me seeing that daniel o donnell just fell and broke his ankle on facebook.wait a minute ill ring an ambulance for him.
    its madness.
    and stigma my arse im well aware of the awful affects mental illness has on people,my point has nothing got to do with it.

It's not a completely different situation. It is a stranger in trouble, their profile does not matter one iota.

If you have Facebook, go back and read her posts over the past few days. It is clearly someone mentally ill. I'm actually shocked at what I read.

Then come back and stand over your post. You were trying to be smart with someone trying to help another human being on the edge. No need whatsoever.

Apparently she is ok and is being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

anewme wrote: »
    It's not a completely different situation. It is a stranger in trouble, their profile does not matter one iota.

If you have Facebook, go back and read her posts over the past few days. It is clearly someone mentally ill. I'm actually shocked at what I read.

Then come back and stand over your post. You were trying to be smart with someone trying to help another human being on the edge. No need whatsoever.

With all due respect, she is not a 'stranger', she is a reasonably high profile public figure. Millions of people worldwide would have at least heard of her. Being unwell, no matter the condition is one thing, put publishing your illness for the world to see, is attention seeking at best. She is by no means a stupid or inarticulate women, and has family and friends of her own. They should be the first port of call, not complete 'strangers' on the internet.
    I'm suffering myself at the moment, will YOU call a doctor for me.
    A cry for help is one thing, getting others to cry on her behalf is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Meh.

swarlb wrote: »
    With all due respect, she is not a 'stranger', she is a reasonably high profile public figure. Millions of people worldwide would have at least heard of her. Being unwell, no matter the condition is one thing, put publishing your illness for the world to see, is attention seeking at best. She is by no means a stupid or inarticulate women, and has family and friends of her own. They should be the first port of call, not complete 'strangers' on the internet.
    A cry for help is one thing, getting others to cry on her behalf is something else.

Nobody knows what is going on in someone else's head. 'Publishing' a cry for help is a new thing but it is still serious and that person deserves help.
    Calling it attention-seeking compounds the problem society has with mental illness. It in fact undermines any work that is being done in suicide awareness.
    Today too many people just leave it to the next person to report a problem, one assuming another will take care of it. The people who called the Gardai were being good citizens - this is citizenship 101 really.

You say that you are suffering at the moment and wonder if someone would call a doctor on you. I think that if you posted on boards that you were troubled and had taken an overdose, hundreds of posters would report the post and the mods would attempt to contact you. Just something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Rasmus wrote: »
    Nobody knows what is going on in someone else's head. 'Publishing' a cry for help is a new thing but it is still serious and that person deserves help.
    Calling it attention-seeking compounds the problem society has with mental illness. It in fact undermines any work that is being done in suicide awareness.
    Today too many people just leave it to the next person to report a problem, one assuming another will take care of it. The people who called the Gardai were being good citizens - this is citizenship 101 really.

You say that you are suffering at the moment and wonder if someone would call a doctor on you. I think that if you posted on boards that you were troubled and had taken an overdose, hundreds of posters would report the post and the mods would attempt to contact you. Just something to think about.

Yes I am suffering, horribly, and first thing in the morning I'm calling my dentist. It does not have to be a 'mental health' issue, for someone to seek help, but unfortunately in O'Connors case it's all about mental health.. hers ! I read recently that Charlie Sheen is HIV positive... should I call someone in Beverly Hills.. medics perhaps.. emergency room... Jay Leno maybe ?
    The one truth emerging from all this... is that it is indeed true.. that Sinead O'Connor needs help... and the sooner the better !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Not Now John

strandsman wrote: »
    oh gawd, she must have a new album out

Her last album was excellent.

swarlb wrote: »

The question asked was did the person know her personally before they called the Gardai.

She did not ask anyone to call a Doctor or the Gardai.

People did so out of compassion and empathy. Their goodwill and concern should be thanked instead of being slagged off.

if you read her posts, she feels rejected by her family and friends, and is alone, isolated and vulnerable.

Just because she is not stupid or inarticulate, does not mean she can't be mentally ill and all the posts she published very clearly indicate she is not in a good place.

Better to take the risk and call the Gardai, than to see something bad unfold in the public eye but say nothing for fear of being slagged off over the Internet and feel guilty then if something happened.

It's called compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hope shes doing ok. best of luck sinead. the world needs you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Has she ever actually been diagnosed with a mental illness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Ive been thinking of dropping of social media for a while now.
    Some of the comments on her page and on here are disgusting.
    Whats wrong with people nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

pjmn wrote: »

I'm not sure that attention seeking is classed as a mental illness.

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Ive been thinking of dropping of social media for a while now.
    Some of the comments on her page and on here are disgusting.
    Whats wrong with people nowadays?

a lot of people dont think before they type and think they can type whatever the hell they want. its just called ignorance. best of luck to the woman. if this story is true, she has a long hard road ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

crazygeryy wrote: »
    you rang irishtown gardai?really?
    do you know her personally?

Yes, I rang Irishtown Garda, if ANYONE needed help I'd do what I can, in this case it was a simple 2min call to the Gardai asking them if they were aware of her threats to commit suicide. If I'd done nothing and nobody else had done nothing then woke in the morning to read the news that shed killed herself then I'd be pretty pissed wit myself .

I'm not sure that attention seeking is classed as a mental illness.

part and parcel im afraid. mental health problems are damn scary

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

pjmn wrote: »
    PTSD.

Yes, I rang Irishtown Garda, if ANYONE needed help I'd do what I can, in this case it was a simple 2min call to the Gardai asking them if they were aware of her threats to commit suicide. If I'd done nothing and nobody else had done nothing then woke in the morning to read the news that shed killed herself then I'd be pretty pissed wit myself .

Please don't feel the need to justify or explain yourself for being a decent human being.

threats of suicide are scary because you always need to err on the side of caution, even if you think there is a chance it could be attention seeking.

sending you a virtual handshake.

I've read back over her recent posts on Facebook and they are concerning to say the least. Thinking of her family and friends as well. It must be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If she really wanted to commit suicide she would not have posted it on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can't believe people are falling for this. The lengths this woman will go to for attention is mind blowing. It's an insult to those genuinely tortured and suffering with depression. She's been peddling this depression angle for years now. When are you mugs gonna wake up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How come this isn't on the main Irish news websites?

No mention on RTE, Irish independent or the Irish Times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement