Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curses you don't hear anymore

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

You cur.
    You Louser.
    And my personal favourite, used all the time by a Clare neighbour way back when God were a lad...
    "May you beel, boil, and fester!'
    She was really a lovely woman, I have to say.
    Can you add any more?
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't think this one could be called a 'curse' but definitely a negative description of someone's character.

"He's a right bowsie" or 'Yuh bowsie yuh!'

Unsure how to explain 'bowsie' pronounced 'bow' as in 'bow to the audience' - bow-zee. A bit of a 'messer' maybe, but definitely male, a troublemaker, and best not to associate with him.

that could also describe, 'he's a right pup', or 'yuh little pup yuh!'

a 'pup' always male, and young, - and an upstart

And

"She's a right targe, that one"

Always female, and one quick to start a fight, with anyone.

One I love, and rarely hear is the British 'dirty little oik'. No idea where that comes from but it always makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Go on ya Blaggard...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Talking to a friend a few days ago about this local person with whom was a few years ahead of us in school.
    As we continued to go on about him my friend said " god he is an awful ape, a bit of a meeah (spl?).
    Pronounced mee - ah. Usually used to describe someone who isn't the full shilling and full of the sorrows of the world.
    Hadn't heard that word in years, think its a great description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Have often heard the phrase meeah (don't know how to spell it either:)) but in our house it was used in the context of "there is an awful meeah on them" i.e. they are cursed, everything they touch turns to lead. My thinking is it comes from the Irish language - obviously with the proper spelling:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Bowsie is in the Oxford English Dictionary, origin unknown:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bowsie?q=bowsie

So is blackguard (pronounced blaggard):

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/blackguard?q=blackguard

Origin: "early 16th century (originally as two words): from black + guard. The term originally denoted a body of attendants or servants, especially the menials who had charge of kitchen utensils, but the exact significance of the epithet 'black' is uncertain. The sense 'scoundrel, villain' dates from the mid 18th century, and was formerly considered highly offensive"

Mee-ah is Irish - mí-ádh or ill-luck; an unlucky person.

Gurrier is also in the OED:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gurrier?q=gurrier

Word on the streets is that it comes from the 17th- and 18th-century Catholics who were run out of the country after their land was stolen; they joined up to European armies, and years later streeled back, wounded, ill, impoverished and angry, and hung around the streets of Irish towns, often falling into crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Well I am delighted to hear that. Just goes to prove part of the old brain is still working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Layinghen wrote: »

Well I am delighted to hear that. Just goes to prove part of the old brain is still working :D

Good to hear the explanation of it, it brings me right back to listening to my grandmother going on about people and calling some meeah's. descriptive but not vulgar terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bowsie?q=bowsie

Ha brilliant. :D There was a man (a settled traveller) in Clare years ago who went by the name Bowsie Casey. He had a shop in the Market Square in Ennis which sold what seemed like mountains of fabric for curtains etc., all piled up on huge tables for customers to rummage through. Have not heard that word in years since he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Diddies - nobody says that anymore. :D

Didn't take long! :rolleyes:

Besides, are we still talking about 'curses', or just rude words? If its the latter, the OP has come to the right place as its full of bold boys and girls. 'Cept me. I'm the good girl, and teacher's pet! Mmm? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

My Mammy heard me saying 'diddies' and told me not to say it again cos it was a curse :D

Mind you, according to my Dad, tights were a curse (I had no idea what he was on about ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Layinghen wrote: »

To put the mí ádh on something - used in the sense of to jinx something. Still hear it the odd time. Sounded more like mee-aw than mee-ah though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

This is possibly a phonetic version of one I haven't heard for years...

"Bad cess to you, ya hoor's melt"

delaad wrote: »
    This is possibly a phonetic version of one I haven't heard for years...

"Bad cess to you, ya hoor's melt"

A 'melt' was the offspring of a rat, so a whore's melt or a peeler's melt (or peeler's git) was a pejorative term for the child of a prostitute or RIC man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The older generation ones can be good:

A lady that I used to work with, who's tongue was as sharp as her features was described by my father, who met her one day, as a "right pierty wee cow".

I don't rightly know what it means but it sounds right..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

A 'melt' was the offspring of a rat, so a whore's melt or a peeler's melt (or peeler's git) was a pejorative term for the child of a prostitute or RIC man.

Thanks Qualitymark.The "cess" bit still has me puzzled though. I know what a cesspit is, but I would have thought that all cess was "bad". How and ever, i suppose some cess.........., but we won't go there.

delaad wrote: »
    Thanks Qualitymark.The "cess" bit still has me puzzled though. I know what a cesspit is, but I would have thought that all cess was "bad". How and ever, i suppose some cess.........., but we won't go there.

Cess is rent. Bad cess means an unlucky rent day to you. We all know these days what *that* means.

Edit: after posting this (which is what I was told as a kid, back in the days of the brontosaurus), it occurred to me to google it and see if any word maniac had blogged about it, and sure enough: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bad1.htm http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2011/04/cess.html

Also a good comment on the discussion here http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The post by Delaad reminded me that my gran used to call me a "little swine's melt" when I had done something wrong, or more commonly totally bloody stupid.

Rubecula wrote: »
    The post by Delaad reminded me that my gran used to call me a "little swine's melt" when I had done something wrong, or more commonly totally bloody stupid.

Never! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Used to be called a "Little Shítehawk" in the 70's by an elderly woman on the street I grew up

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    Used to be called a "Little Shítehawk" in the 70's by an elderly woman on the street I grew up

In my childhood I actually heard it said as 'Shyhawk'. Considering my upbringing, and my innocence, I never knew your version! :) See, I'm still sweet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I can still remember watching the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Maken on a tiny black and white screen when the camera focussed on Makem's smirking face. "He's very good, isn't he, but I'd say he's a right bold bowsie" said my dad. "What's a bowsie, dad?" I asked. "Don't ever let me hear you use that word again" boomed the reply.

My grannie used to call me a gnat, pronounced g'nat. No time for silent letters in the Liberties. No booming reply if she heard me say g'nat but, God, she was deadly with the teatowel whip to the luggole.

Where was Childline when I needed it?

My mum also pronounced the 'g' in 'g-nat! The Liberties? You were just a stone's throw away from me there! Sometimes she'd say 'g-nu' as well, just for fun!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    My mum also pronounced the 'g' in 'g-nat! The Liberties? You were just a stone's throw away from me there! Sometimes she'd say 'g-nu' as well, just for fun!

I say Wildebeest :D

Rubecula wrote: »
    I say Wildebeest :D

OT - reminds me of Billy Connolly's story about wildebeests, Agnes and Betty! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Often used by my dear father may he rest in peace

"May they die roaring like Doran's ass" (and back then ass ment donkey)

DeBurca wrote: »
    ....(and back then ass ment donkey)

Ah, God be with the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

One I haven't heard in a long time: "What would you expect to hear from a pig, but a grunt"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Banjoxed wrote: »
    One I haven't heard in a long time: "What would you expect to hear from a pig, but a grunt"

My dad says that when someone farts!

• Advertisement

One of my favourites from the football matches I attended.

"Jaysus he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo"

or from my gran:

"He couldn't stop a greasy pig in a jigger" (Jigger being an old Scouse slang word for an alley)

Advertisement