Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange phobias

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

Im not kidding, but it may be more of an OCD than a fear, I cant look at Ford Kas, theyr so freaky looking n I wouldnt go near one if i was paid! Horrible god-awful contraptions (i dont mean to offend anyone who might drive one)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

Balloons, but only when they're on the ground, unsupervised, and someone will burst them. Balloons make me SO nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

1978 wrote: »
    I also dont like anything to do with the number 13......houses, golf holes, you name it...get me away from that number....fast!

you have Triskaidekaphobia, as i'm sure you're aware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskaidekaphobia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Crabs.

Just the sight of them with their long pointy legs. They're almost like spiders (which freak me out, but I wouldn't be terrified) but they have that shell, which means they can take a beating.
    They have claws which can attack and whenever you see them belly up, they're just freaky looking things!
    The BF took me to Sea Life in Bray and he insisted on watching the Spider Crab...worst day ever!
    And in the movie Teeth theres a small scene with a crab...worst movie part ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

The smell of cabbage or of a dirty sponge.

Feet - to the point where I don't actually touch my own unless truly necessary. If someone else touches or even threatens to touch my feet I tend to involuntarily kick out at them, gave a lifeguard in a water park in Spain, who tried to help me down a ride by pulling my foot, got a bloody nose for his trouble!! Other peoples feet, especially when people do that weird half on half off sock thing so that their heel is exposed, ugh, I'm gagging just thinking of it... As for those ads on TV for nail infections and stuff - that should be banned, disgusting!!

Nail files, especially when used to pick stuff out from under nails, ugh!!!:eek:

Wasps, not unusual I'm sure, but I haven't been stung in 12 years, since I was 8 years old and got stung by a whole nest of wasps. I have myself convinced that there's a possibility after that many stings last time (about 40 I think) I could go into anaphalactic (sic) shock if I got stung ever again. Irrational no doubt but still. Ran out of the exam centre in the middle of Leaving Cert French because there was a wasp near me!!

Oh, and the space behind doors in my house. Like, the likelihood that someone is, or would have any reason to, hide there in order to jump out and harm me in some way is slim to none, but I never turn my back to them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I hate and detest sand.... It sends shivers down my back if I even see it, let alone feel it. If I have to go to a beach, I wear wellies or hiking boots so my feet don't touch it. And I lie instead of having to do to beach events.... If I touch sand I have to wash my hands (or whatever else) straight away.

Obviously I have never been on a beach holiday :D Friends are going on one this year, but I can't bear to go with them

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Tomato Sauce....I feel sick at the sight or smell of it and have often puked with someone just talking about it or even a picture of it but fresh tomatoes are ok. Can even smell it from someone that has eaten it same day.:eek:

No idea where the fear comes from but there ya go.

http://www.unusualphobias.com/ketchup.html

It even has it own name, saltomaphobia is a fear of tomato sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Scared of air being injected into me. Nothing to do with needles, absolutely fine with needles and being injected, but only after I have double checked the needle doesn't have air in it. Even seeing an IV with air in it on TV makes me dizzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

Damn all you raw chicken and sticker phobics out there, I thought I was a unique and beautiful snowflake. The raw chicken one is funny because I can handle raw beef or fish no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

coleslaw.... oh god just typing it is bad..... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Escalators!

I can happily say I have been down about 2 in the last 20 years but it is such a pain when they can't even be considered as an option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

im terrified opf beans, cannot look, touch or smell them, they make me gag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Umbrellas. Ugh!

And no I'm not trolling, I'm being dead serious. I do not like them one bit. I shudder when I look into the middle part of one. Yuck! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

im not phobic, but i do fully support the elimination of umbrellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

im not phobic, but i do fully support the elimination of umbrellas.

Thank you Froo, we'll get the lil sprongy (beeps!), we'll get 'em.

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

i can't let anyone or anything touch my belly-button. even thinking it makes me feel ill. it's actually a real phobia apparently. omphalophobia. so there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

i cant stand really really tiny holes, like on a cigarette filter. if i look at them i get the shivers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I don't know if it's a phobia or what but I feel very uncomfortable (I get a shiver up and down my back), sometimes I actually shake, when people:
    • bite ice cubes
    • when eating, they bite down on the fork and slide it out (you hear a weird sound)
    • knives and forks scratching on a plate

I don't even have to see it. My family does it all the time so I shake a lot at dinner. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lins

birds.

oh god birds.

I am absolutely TERRIFIED of birds esp pigeons and sea gulls. Slowly learning to cope with small birds but I'm still quite afraid. It's the worst fear ever as they can come at you from the air or the ground, i have a bird radar and can tell u if there's a bird in the next hundred metres or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

<snip>

No we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

newballsplease, we don't make fun of any phobias in this forum. Also, do not post video links to things that could potentially scare other posters, without giving appropriate warning no matter how ridiculous you think they are or you will automaticly be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

i can't let anyone or anything touch my belly-button. even thinking it makes me feel ill. it's actually a real phobia apparently. omphalophobia. so there!

Same here.

My niece had a teddy bear that you could poke your finger in to the belly button. ( What kind of a sick individual would come up with such a toy?) My family thought it was hilarious to get her to play with it in front of me. I was very close to being sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

LadyJ wrote: »
    newballsplease, we don't make fun of any phobias in this forum. Also, do not post video links to things that could potentially scare other posters, without giving appropriate warning no matter how ridiculous you think they are or you will automaticly be banned.

ok im sorry, but seriously a peach?! i couldnt help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Well please try.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

WHAT!!!
    she cant do that!

i collect coppers!

i must meet and follow and stalk this women

if i see coppers on the street or in the car or if my mates have any of in a shop ill ask for them

iv always wanted to go into a shop and say here lets count how much u got in your trocaire box and ill exchange the amount for euros or notes
    is that going TOO far?
    or do u gotta talk with the box owners first?
    Im sorry but thats just sick. Thinking about copper alone makes my hands sweaty and I shivver. And whenever I eat their can't be any copper around because worst of all I fear of copper being near my face of mouth. And also I generally try to tell people in the shop to keep the change. But the shop across the road from my college the block says I've let them keep to much change and keeps handing me coppers but with no reciept so it touches my hands.....its just so disgusting I can't sum up how it makes me feel

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I've got a very weird phobia, one that someone could easily wind me up with if I told more people. It's hard to describe but essentially it's the idea of sucking through something semi-porous.

Ya wha, Gay? Well say if someone finished an ice-cream like a Magnum and decided to be extra-thorough by sucking on the wooden stick. That act, even just thinking about it, brings me out in goosebumps. The only way to alleviate my discomfort is to bite lightly on my tongue, in fact I've been doing that since I started writing this.

No idea where I got it from or anything, at least a fear of wasps could be seen as extra-sensible. It's not just lollypop sticks, wet tea-bags also do the same thing (although I've yet to see someone suck one, just the site is enough sometimes). And I get similarly-goosebumpy when thinking about my top and bottom canine teeth crushing down on each other.

Still, it's not a debilitating fear like some I've heard of, so no biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

The roots of sprouting vegetables, especially potatoes. The thought of a vegetable sprouting roots in the dark in a cupboard or somewhere sends shivers up and down my spine, and the sight of one freaks me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Used to have an irrational fear of guitar amps. Like, I thought they would over-power and blow up or something. Which was unfortunate for my dad, as every time he tried to play guitar in the house, he would have to calm me down first, and ensure that the amp would not explode. Thankfully, I've gotten over this fear a long time ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loyko_irl

I have absolutely no fear of spiders, insects or any animals, birds or fish for that matter - but ladybirds freak me out big time.

I know, I know, they're cute little fellas and they crawl on your hand but... when I was about two I was doing just this and then... nobody told me they were some weird alien creature... its body opened up, it grew a pair of wings and flew away.

Ever since then I've a fear of a ladybird opening up and flying away. Anyone have a similar fear?

What would I even call that fear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

I'm afraid of loose eye-lashes, I hate when there is one on someones face,eeugh! I'd go mad if someone came near me with one! I can't stand wax models either

Advertisement