Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange phobias

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BigPete

I think I must have the strangest. A phobia of bare skin!
    Definitely not an easy one - face and hands are ok but everything else is a no-no. Certainly puts a spanner in the works when it comes to relationships!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I get freaked out if I see someone filing their nails.
    Nail files are the most horrible things ever invented in the history of the known universe. Worse than the bloody atom bomb, they are.
    I can't stand the feel of them....ugh just thinking about them makes me squirm!!

To the person who mentioned tomatoes, I get freaked out by Tomato Ketchup. I don't know if I'd call it a fear as such (more a deep hatred) but I can't stand the sight of it (looks like congealed blood) or the smell :eek: UGH I HATE IT.

Oh, and I'm terrified of wasps but I imagine that's fairly common?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

To the person who mentioned tomatoes, I get freaked out by Tomato Ketchup. I don't know if I'd call it a fear as such (more a deep hatred) but I can't stand the sight of it (looks like congealed blood) or the smell :eek: UGH I HATE IT.

No way. I have ketchup on toast!!! love it!:D

Fears though, definately the feel of velvet.... *shudders*

Or tearing cotton wool....

Or the feel of newspapers when I've just cut my nails....

yikes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No way. I have ketchup on toast!!! love it!:D
    You disgust me!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eoinalmighty

Ugh the bottom of ceramic stuff, the unglazed part when you have to dry it eewww

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Well my fears are basically needles and blades.
    And stuff rubbing off my wrists/undersided of my lower arms.
    I am TERRIFIED of blades ever since a close friend had a bout of depression, I'm sure you all know what I mean!
    Needles is just a general thing, it's not the pain so much as the thought that there's something insode my skin.
    The needles fear is terrible, seeing as I am terribly prone to infections and routineely have to pierce the swellings...
    Sorry for the unnessecary details
    :D
    And the wrists one is indirectly related to the fear of blades/ getting cut.
    Thanks for listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Stuff i cant stand:
    * cows. O god its da size and smel of em and the look on their faces....yuk yuk yuk. also their udders coz of how they dangle...ew!! As a result i cant drink milk on its own, only in tea. Cows are goin to give me osteoporosis!!
    * feet. very common with girls iv noticed. I dont mind my own feet but touching or being touched by other peoples feet freaks me out completely.
    * slugs. its their slimyness and the way their little ear things stick up and they leave a little trail behind them ewwww...we get these horrible king slugs in our back garden in autumn in the rain, they make me wanna vomit!!!!
    and last but by no means least............
    * raw chicken fillets!!! O good god everytime i see 1 of these i imagine being slapped across the face by it, of course my friends all think its hilarious. i can hold a raw chicken which is funny enough, but when those fillets are there o good god. and i dont mind eating them cooked either its jst their shiny sloppyness when they're raw!!!

Stuff my friends cant stand!!!...
    butterflies. bridges. cotton wool. also feet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Something that fascinates me is phobias, not the fears as such but the catalogue of what phobias there are. I therefore decide to share some of the most bizarre (in my opinion anyway and that’s what counts) here for whoever is bothering to read my rantings!!

Anglophobia- Fear of England, English culture, etc.
    Bolshephobia- Fear of Bolsheviks.
    Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch.
    Francophobia- Fear of France, French culture. (Gallophobia, Galiophobia)
    Germanophobia- Fear of Germany, German culture, etc.
    Japanophobia- Fear of Japanese.
    Judeophobia- Fear of Jews.
    Russophobia- Fear of Russians.
    Sinophobia- Fear of Chinese, Chinese culture.

And a few other gems:

Alliumphobia- Fear of garlic. (if you suffer this you are probably a vampire)
    Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. (c’mon lets be serious, just don’t eat peanut butter!)
    Barophobia- Fear of gravity. (and what do you do, float everywhere??)
    Caligynephobia- Fear of beautiful women. (sad, just sad)
    Chionophobia- Fear of snow. (don’t go live in the artic circle is my advice, move to south Africa or something!)
    Coprophobia- Fear of faeces. (no ****!)
    Eurotophobia- Fear of female genitalia. (I think the other term is GAY)
    Gamophobia- Fear of marriage. (all you men can use this one, ‘honey I really love you but I am a gamophobe!)
    Geniophobia- Fear of chins. (uh everyone has one, some people have more than one!)
    Genophobia- Fear of sex. (no comment)
    Genuphobia- Fear of knees. (what? How? Never mind)
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words. (you mean like the name of this phobia foe instance)
    Homophobia- Fear of sameness, monotony or of homosexuality or of becoming homosexual. (I included this for the other meaning, I never knew that)
    Ithyphallophobia- Fear of seeing, thinking about or having an erect penis. (I think the term her is LESBIAN)
    Lachanophobia- Fear of vegetables. (I carrot believe that one *bad joke)
    Logizomechanophobia- Fear of computers. (I wish)
    Novercaphobia- Fear of your step-mother. (another good one especially if you can cure the gamophobia)
    Octophobia - Fear of the figure 8. (again, what???)
    Oneirogmophobia- Fear of wet dreams. (more like fear of emabrrasment when mum comes in lol)
    Papaphobia- Fear of the Pope. (that old dude, surely not)
    Peladophobia- Fear of bald people. (and Homer Simpson, I mean come on people)
    Phobophobia- Fear of phobias. (best not read this list eh)
    Plutophobia- Fear of wealth. (a likely story!)
    Pogonophobia- Fear of beards. (I bet these people are fun around Santa)
    Sitophobia or Sitiophobia- Fear of food or eating. (Cibophobia) (they wont last too long with that attitude)
    Urophobia- Fear of urine or urinating. (now that’s taking the piss!)

Yup...
    Tis 5:20ish...

O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

LadyJ wrote: »
    A friend of mine can't touch small copper change. She'd drop it if it was handed to her in a shop. She frequently bins it.

WHAT!!!
    she cant do that!

i collect coppers!

i must meet and follow and stalk this women

if i see coppers on the street or in the car or if my mates have any of in a shop ill ask for them

iv always wanted to go into a shop and say here lets count how much u got in your trocaire box and ill exchange the amount for euros or notes
    is that going TOO far?
    or do u gotta talk with the box owners first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Spotted this new forum by accident!!

Where do i start. Terrified of heights to the point of panic attacks. Not only heights but bridges. I definately will not walk over them but i even fear driving over them, which is a killer as i have to cross one or go the long way from my house to just about anywhere. On good days i drive over it and feel good but bad days i go the long way and feel like a failure.

I think my biggest fear is probably of jumping off and not of actually falling, which is messed up as i am by no means suicidal or want to die so i cant imagine why i would!! Guess its a fear of losing self control or something.

Thats a bit deep, on a lighter note i cannot stand wheat, i almost puke when i see the ad for the cereal on TV, it reminds me of larvae wriggling :eek:

Also i cant bear the inside of corn on the cob, i think its called the cob :p

Terrifed of spiders also. ANd shudder when i see men with really bony skinny fingers.

What bugs me the most are these are fears that developed as i got older, i feared nothing as a child and grew up in Ballymun with the 14 story flats that all my relatives lived in.......pretty sad really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Ice pop sticks!

Eeww... Can't even touch them.
    My friend has the exact same phobia! She can't eat icecreams on a stick because she freaks out at the idea of touching the stick so she usually can only have Cornettos or things like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

when I was younger, had a terrible fear of eating in public places (as in restaraunts). I always had the feeling I was going to vomit no matter what, and if I didn't know where the toilets were it was even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Have a friend deathly afraid of cling film, afraid it'll get wrapped around his face. A fair few friends afraid of balloons, tis quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Oh god where to start.

Huge fear of heights, even if I go up two rungs of a ladder I get scared.
    Chickens - dead or alive although I am slowly getting over that.
    Feet - Cannot stand feet at all. I hate the summer cos everybody is out in their flip flop and sandals. I shudder at the thought.

The one strange one is I cannot go into public toilets if there is nobody else in there. I dont know if its stemmed for scary movies or what but I get so panicky and wont go in or if I am in there and then realise no one else is I freak out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hrmm - alright here's a list:

Heights - been working on this one for years actually. Its miles better than it used to be, but it kicks in randomly, sometimes i can be fine, other times I just sieze up.

Moths - madly terrified of moths. small ones i can handle, they freak me out a little but not too much. anything larger and I cant deal with it. Go completely mental.

Sweetcorn/corn on the cob - the smell and the look makes me want to vomit.

A tiny bit of the fear of empty rooms thing as posted in another thread.

think thats it - most of them I keep quite effectively under control (heights, sweetcorn, empty rooms) while the moths one I just can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

crash_000 wrote: »

Sweetcorn/corn on the cob - the smell and the look makes me want to vomit.

I ordered this ice and fruit dessert thing in Malaysia. It came with sweetcorn on it. It was really weird. Moral of this story: you should never order desserts in Malaysia!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hehe, thats actually excellent advice, seeing as i'll be over there in about a months time :D

crash_000 wrote: »
    Hehe, thats actually excellent advice, seeing as i'll be over there in about a months time :D

Good timing then! It was called Kuching. They have them everywhere. There ice mounds with coloured sauce things. They're quite nice, if they come without sweetcorn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

i have a really weird phobia which i've had for as long as i can remember and its a fear of large open rooms or buildings, like in a church or cathedral or a large shopping mall with high ceilings. as soon as i walk in i can sense the space above me and i get a kind of vertigo feeling even though i am firmly attached to the ground. it used to be a nightmare in mass, i couldn't look up and always had my eyes to the ground. train stations have to be the worst, amsterdam central has to be the worst, nearly fainted when i walked in there. even, strangely enough, on tv when i see a cathedral roof or something it can give me a bit of a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Ok my phobia is a little weird, you know when u go into big stores and they have that tiling stuff for a roof but all the air vents are above it. Well if one of those tiles is missing i cant walk under or near it. Seriously freaks me out. Iv gone intoa few toilets and they are always missing in there i have to turn around and go back out! Strange or what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

jiltloop wrote: »
    i have a really weird phobia which i've had for as long as i can remember and its a fear of large open rooms or buildings, like in a church or cathedral or a large shopping mall with high ceilings. as soon as i walk in i can sense the space above me and i get a kind of vertigo feeling even though i am firmly attached to the ground. it used to be a nightmare in mass, i couldn't look up and always had my eyes to the ground. train stations have to be the worst, amsterdam central has to be the worst, nearly fainted when i walked in there. even, strangely enough, on tv when i see a cathedral roof or something it can give me a bit of a fright.
    I find this fascinating. I'm studying to be an architect, and I find it very interesting how being in spaces of different shapes and sizes can affect people emotionally. In your case, to the extreme of having a phobia.

It is just high ceilings? If you were in a courtyard surrounded by high walls, open to the air, would you feel the same. How about a high canopy which doesn't have walls completely around it? Something like this?

Warning!

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking.

no i would have no problem in an area like the one in the picture, i think maybe it is because it has a glass roof and i can see the sky. it seems to be more completely enclosed buildings. although i do feel very uncomfortable in st stephens green shopping centre when i am on the first floor and can see the ceiling, even though that is a glass ceiling also.
    it seems to be a mixture of agoraphobia and vertigo. as i understand it, agoraphobia is a fear of wide open spaces and outdoor spaces. although this doesn't fit completely because it is big enclosed spaces only that affect me. and the feeling of fear i get is like a vertigo feeling. i have a slight fear of heights but it doesn't seem to be connected to this fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Interesting.

Apologies by the way, if posting the picture affected you. Just reread that you don't like seeing pictures of it either.

no that picture is fine, i was in a place very similar to that in belgium and it didn't affect me at all. actually i watched a few of cruckshank's architecture programs and i was a bit uneasy when watching some of the inside of the buildings. but i was torn between continuing watching, because i do have an appreciation of architecture also, or changing channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Blisterman, do not post pictures without warning first. Please read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm one of those baked beans people :(

Can't eat them. Can't even look at them. Mash them up with potatoes and I'll start to gag. Actually, I'm gagging at the thought right now. If a film or television show comes on with beans I'll change the channel. There's a scene in Blazing Salddles which is turned off every time.

Haven't eaten them since I was a very small child. Must have undergone some traumatic bean related experience which I have long since blanked out of my mind.

I also freak out if anyone tries to push back my cuticles. Something my girlfriend takes great glee in now trying to do.

Im also one of those baked beans people...Wow i didnt realise it was so common. Hate them with a passion. I only have to smell them and i start to gag. I hate being anywhere near them. Shudder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

warning for pictures that probably won't freak anybody but me out!

http://www.astro.northwestern.edu/~cjdeloye/photos/Netherlands_Trip_0705/delft_summary/slides/Container%20Ship%20in%20Dry%20Dock.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1121/1400337655_e4225e4193.jpg

those pictures make me want to cry..........

i have a fear of the underside of huge boats. i cannot stand seeing the part of a ship that is meant to be underwater. it freaks me like you wouldn't believe.

there's no rational reason, i can travel on boats no problem, and water doesn't scare me at all. small boats pulled up out of the water are fine too, but behemoths like that showing their undercarriages scare me so much!!!

o.0

weird? pretty much!

Hey, I just changed those pictures so they are links and not in the thread. That way, people can choose whether to click on them or not. Even though they were to scare yourself!

You're not alone btw, another poster is afraid of rocks and things under the water. Read back a few pages and you'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DeeColl

Hi all,
    I have an unnatural fear of Frogs! It’s not like I’m afraid they’ll bite me or anything like that, but there just so slimy and it really freaks me out when they jump. I’m so bad I can’t even look at a picture of one! I’ve no problem with mice, rats etc I even held a snake once. It goes back to when I was 5 or 6 and I was walking through the fields with my big brother and a huge frog jumped into my welly and was jumping up and down my leg trying to get out! Which is also why I hate long grass, wont walk through it.
    I also have a phobia of seaweed – can’t look at water with seaweed in it, flood water – can’t bear to look at it, gives me the chills! Blankets – can’t stand the feel of them! Heights – which is normal enough, Manhole covers on paths (or whatever you call them) – can’t walk on them, I’m afraid I’ll fall through. That’s all I could think of at the moment, I’m sure there’s lots more! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 1978

I have a fear of clowns, seeing them just puts the ****s up me, whether its on telly or in a circus......actually circuses kinda freak me out also!

I also dont like anything to do with the number 13......houses, golf holes, you name it...get me away from that number....fast!

I also hate feet, and cars pulled in on the side of a motor way.....freaks me out......cos I always think someone will get out of the car and I will knock them down.

Hate driving under bridges aswell!

Dolls.....aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Advertisement