Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear for Job Interview

Options
  • 23-11-2005 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hey all, i've got a bit of a problem and maybe you can help me out. i've got an interview for a new part time job tomorrow, it's for a tech support job in a computer company. do you reckon i should wear a shirt and tie or go with a tshirt under a casual shirt or what?? please help. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

EI-A320 wrote:
    hey all, i've got a bit of a problem and maybe you can help me out. i've got an interview for a new part time job tomorrow, it's for a tech support job in a computer company. do you reckon i should wear a shirt and tie or go with a tshirt under a casual shirt or what?? please help. :D

Tech support?Go for the shirt and tie.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

any it job shirt and tie and ideally a suit i interview a lot of people and am amazed at how scruffy people arrive in wearing. From a interviewers point of view a suit always makes a good impression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I had an inyerview the other week wore a shirt and tie and slacks and was pleased to hear today that i got the job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

baggy trousers with wallet chain, slayer t-shirt and baseball cap backwards :)

honestly shirt and tie always :) best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'd say go with whatever the staff there wear. That's usually the approach I go for because if the people who work there have been hired then that is probably the kind of person they want working there. I'd say a suit would probably be the most appropriate clothing to go for, or a shirt and tie as weemcd said. My bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ no, shirt and tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't agree with "go what the staff were wearing". We generally wear tshirts and jeans where I work (some people are even scruffier). But if someone turned up to an interview wearing tshirt and jeans, then that would make a very bad impression. Most people interview for the job in suits, some interview in business casual dress. Between suit and business casual, I've never seen an interviewer be influenced by the dress choice in that regard.

I'd say "business casual" is your best bet. Shirt and any pants but jeans. You'll feel and look more comfortable than if you were wearing a suit but you'll still look sharpish.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Where I work casual clothing is fine, as in, not overboard casual, but within reason, like jeans, jumpers, shirts, cords, whatever.

However if somebody turned up to an interview wearing jeans and a t-shirt it really doesn't give good impressions at all.

You're best off with the shirt and tie approach, or in place of a tie, a nice jacket always does the trick.

Don't be fooled by the work enviroment or guidlines. You should always make it a principle to impress visually before you even open your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

Shirt and tie, definitely

Advertisement