Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paralympics

Options
  • 02-10-2004 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I noticed that there are no posts here about the Paralympics, doesn't anyone care?I went to both the Olympics and Paralympics and was really surprised to find the Paralymipcs were not just more inspiring that the Olympics but much more enjoyable as well.

What kingd of coverage did the Paralympics get on Irish TV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

There was a highlights show on in the evenings on Net2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I didn't get a chance to watch any of the Paralympic Games this year as I've been far too busy with college etc.

I'm delighted that Irish athletes did so well this year. It's a horrible pity that their efforts aren't recognised to the same extent as those competing in the Olympic Games.

The work put in etc. is just as great if not more than those competing in the more widely covered summer games. It's about time that those efforts were recognised to a greater extent. At least RTÉ had the highlights show and some competitors who wouldn't normally have gotten publicity were given some air time.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭josh40

At least they got some coverage in Ireland then, in the States there will be a one hour special in the Autumn and that's it.They really deserve so much more!I was also interested to see that the U.S athletes did nowhere as well as their able bodied counteparts, so obviously they don't get much funding either.
    The Irish team did reasonably well but not as well as in Sydney, I think.From their web site ,it seems they are receiving more funding than before but not nearly enough.It's a great pity really. :eek:

It is, although with most sports in this country funding is always going to be an issue.

I'm elligable to compete in the paralympics (expecting some funny comments for that 'un). due to my visual impairment and when I was training I often considered attempting to qualify for an event. However due to lack of anyone suitable to train with and lack of decent coaches in the area (The main coach I trained under never once timed me and I was running with him for 2 years) I didn't give the idea much more thought.

Might be something I'll think about again. It'll give me something to aim for at least heh!

*shrug*

Go for it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

They didn't get much coverage in Greece either actually.

There was a special programme on every night but after midnight I think it was on Star. There was about another hour's coverage on in the morning. But, I agree it could have been more!Did you go along to see any of the events?

josh40 wrote:
    Go for it! :D
    Hehe I have the fear.

I'd need someone to do out a training programme for me as I never stick to the ones I make myself.

Meep!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

josh40 wrote:
    There was a special programme on every night but after midnight I think it was on Star. There was about another hour's coverage on in the morning. But, I agree it could have been more!Did you go along to see any of the events?
    Oh really? You live here huh?

Nah, some friends of mine went to see some events on different days and they all came back saying that it was a great experience and a great vibe. They were amazed at the athletes and the general feel of the events compared to the other Olympics. Personally I don't watch athletic events on site anymore but I was too busy anyway.

Funny, all I ever saw on Star channel (and mega, ant1 etc etc) were regurgitations of kenderis and thanou over and over.

Advertisement