Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kelly Holmes wins the 800m

• 23-08-2004 7:04pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Cracking race! After all those injuries over the years I'm delighted for her.

Today's results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah Feck it! I missed the race. Thrilled for her, it was her last chance for an Olympic gong. Thats great. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

What a cracker of a race, one of the best I can remember. Fair play to Kelly, she ran the perfect race. If it had have been an 805 metre race Ceplak would have won. She came through like a steam-train.

She's going for 1500 metres too! Nothing to loose now of course....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

saw a replay, cracking race agree with davey she ran the perfect race and if it had have even been 1 meter longer she would have come third i think, fair play to her i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It was a fantastic race, her reaction afterwards was great.
    Hope she does well in the 1500m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A good race alright. That Maria de Lurdes Mutola really looks like a man, face and body. :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Posts like that make me want to close this forum. Idiot.

I am not implying anything. All I am saying is that she looks very masculine looking. I am certain she is a woman. It was just a general observation, nothing more than that. Sorry if it came across any differently. That was not the intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm delighted for Kelly Holmes. She really earned that medal. Her face just after the race was priceless when she wasn't sure if she had won or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

dudara wrote:
    I'm delighted for Kelly Holmes. She really earned that medal. Her face just after the race was priceless when she wasn't sure if she had won or not!

same feelings as myself , and she looks like she has a great shot at the 1,500 metres , if a country like Kenya dosen't try any team tactics exploiting her staying near the back at the start and possibly boxing her in at the back of a pack , but anyway she ran another great race and come through with ease .

Hopefully another Gold medal .

• Advertisement

Yes, it seemed to be a good race. The 1500m will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i was delighted too she got a gold at last.what a race tactician she is taking the first 400 handy

She ran an exellent semi, stayed at the back, well clear of any trouble then with 200 to go eased foward to finnish second. Her finnish looks good enough to win her a medal on Saturday.

Mike.

She's done it! Fantastic result, she'll have to get knighted after this.. :)

Mike.

And now she's done the double!! With 110 to go the way she was looking around with such composure just made her look unbelievably confident. She looked like she could do what she liked with her opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

I'm delighted for her, the way she powered home on the race was nothing less than awesome.

However, of all the medals won so far, I think this looks a touch suspect. At 34, she is no spring chicken, and with all those injuries, I really can't help but be a little bit sceptical of this one.

I really really hope that these medals were won justly, but i'm going to hold back for just a couple of days to see if there's any developments.....

Otherwise, fair play to the brits, that 4 x 100 was only incredible, beating the 1,2 & 3 of the 200m's US team is only incredible. They have come good in this second week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Pure class... Go Kelly !!! That smile as she crossed the line - really brightened up my week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

mollser wrote:
    However, of all the medals won so far, I think this looks a touch suspect. At 34, she is no spring chicken, and with all those injuries, I really can't help but be a little bit sceptical of this one.

I really really hope that these medals were won justly, but i'm going to hold back for just a couple of days to see if there's any developments.....

I think that is a completely stupid thing to say. She used to be in the army, there is no way she's the type is take drugs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think that is a completely stupid thing to say. She used to be in the army, there is no way she's the type is take drugs.

Baffling logic there...

Excellent race, excellent result.

Kelly Holmes is too long in the tooth and too smart to blow her last chance for international glory. Its proberly her army background thats got her this far, she not a quitter and has disipline. I'm tempted to think ALL athletes should spend a year or two in karki they' might spend less time complaining that the muse is'nt with them...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I know lots of people in the army: they're not all disciplined, and they're not all drug free.
    Not saying Holmes is dirty, but it wasn't a good example.

Cripes, it's not like she even broke any PBs (I actually probably have her 800m PB from the '95 grand prix final in Monaco on video somewhere still).

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that she improved her 1500m PB by 0.17

This sort of speculation about individual athletes is not permitted on the forum. I shall attempt to make the posting guidelines clearer on this issue. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement