Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadcasting charge

Options
  • 01-09-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

About the broadcasting charge, if you are a pensioner with free t.v. licence do you have to pay it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I understand that at the moment there is an eight week consultation period regarding the new broadcasting charge going on. Presume all will revealed when this is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What a daft charge! I rarely watch the Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Well somebody has got to pay to keep the RTE "stars" in the comfort that they are accustomed to ;)

They need to rethink this, its daylight robbery!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

green jay wrote: »
    About the broadcasting charge, if you are a pensioner with free t.v. licence do you have to pay it?

If you ask Pat Rabbitte he will probably ask are you living in a 3 bed cave or a 4 bed cave

• Advertisement

Take this evening for instance, nothing on the box, so himself went off to read, and I knitted, neither of us watched any TV. This is happening more regularly lately. The broadcasting charge......I'll say it again,....is daylight robbery, nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

Santa Cruz, I like the 3/4 bed cave but in Pat Rabbitte's case it would be a warren

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Take this evening for instance, nothing on the box, so himself went off to read, and I knitted, neither of us watched any TV. This is happening more regularly lately. The broadcasting charge......I'll say it again,....is daylight robbery, nothing less.

But you are on the internet...

Do you ever listen to the radio?

I don't mind the broadcasting charge. I never did watch much TV :pac: but I do listen to programmes on the radio and I'm on the internet a lot.

But RTE don't own the internet, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I think the new charge is unfair - I have a friend who is a bit reclusive - no TV and he only listens to BBC and German Radio ( he is german living in Ireland - Loves Ireland but hates Pat Kenny and the like), No Internet in the house. Why should he pay the new fee? yes I have heard Pat Rabitt rabitting on that no one lives in a cave anymore but each person should be entitled to live in a cave if they wish to do so. I believe it is unfair to make my friend pay for the very broadcasting which he wants to avoid hearing or seeing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    But RTE don't own the internet, do they?

What makes you think this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

But you are on the internet...

Do you ever listen to the radio?

I don't mind the broadcasting charge. I never did watch much TV :pac: but I do listen to programmes on the radio and I'm on the internet a lot.

The internet? So the internet is broadcast by state broadcasters now, and received for free is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Red Hare wrote: »
    I think the new charge is unfair - I have a friend who is a bit reclusive - no TV and he only listens to BBC and German Radio ( he is german living in Ireland - Loves Ireland but hates Pat Kenny and the like), No Internet in the house. Why should he pay the new fee? yes I have heard Pat Rabitt rabitting on that no one lives in a cave anymore but each person should be entitled to live in a cave if they wish to do so. I believe it is unfair to make my friend pay for the very broadcasting which he wants to avoid hearing or seeing!

Thats just rubbish from a complete tool. Its simply more tax, thats all. They want every household in the country to pay that rte tax, simple as that. They associated it with a tv until now. Now its simply an extension of the property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Its true Bruthal - It is just an extension of the property tax/ household charge.

Just a suggestion, what about a pay-per-view charge for RTE programmes then? If they look hard enough I am sure they will find Pat Rabitte's cavemen and cavewomen who also should not have to pay. I'm happy to pay for any services that I use, but not for those that I do not use. Or perhaps there should be a percentage of my Irish TV licence go to the BBC! That should put the cat among the pigeons! I don't listen to much radio either, but for the odd 10-15 minutes in the car I might have caught a bit of the John Murray, Pat Kenny or John Creedon programmes. Now PK has moved so the licence fee wouldn't go to Newstalk. What should RTE do? Its a puzzle, isn't it? But charging everyone a blanket charge is out of order. You surely must give value for money (you would think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

green jay wrote: »
    Santa Cruz, I like the 3/4 bed cave but in Pat Rabbitte's case it would be a warren

Yeah, I'd say his glib "cave" comment will cost him and the Labour party a good few votes...his comment was definitely "unwarrented".

Yes! "unwarrented" very good. Must think of a few "cave men" jokes for election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

The only consolation with this new stealth tax is that we have access to the best TV programming in the world, the BBC channels.
    Apart from the brilliant programmes like, for instance, those presented by David Attenborough, there is the big plus of no mind-numbing commercial breaks.

I'm also a big fan of the internet, but as time goes on, even this medium is going to become more and more polluted with ads.

I"m no west Brit but thank God for the BBC...

I'vee noticed that about the internet, the adds are increasing and more prominent. Ah well they never let an opportunity slip, that's commercialization at work. You're right about the BBC etc. Thank God for a window on the world, even if it is out of a cave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭OldRio

BBC4 is wonderful but it seems the rest of the BBC have recently discovered something called cooking. Every blooming night.
    As for this latest stealth tax?
    Sigh.
    Breathing will be next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement