Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bono urges crowd to dig deep for homeless

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In fairness our taxes do f*ck all really to helping homeless people.

Well with all the will in the world, it's still a tall order to help those that have no inclination nor desire to help themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I’d urge Bono to stop dictating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Do you know how much tax payers money is used to put the so called homeless up in hotels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well with all the will in the world, it's still a tall order to help those that have no inclination nor desire to help themselves

Are we talking about "homelessness on the streets" or glorified homelessness (that isn't me diminishing this problem but just separating the two)

I only read the title and the few digs at Bono citing tax etc...the usual....

Most of the former is due to mental health. I think the starting basis should be approaching issue related to why many would appear to not want to step up and TRY face their situation

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Do you know how much tax payers money is used to put the so called homeless up in hotels?

I jumped the gun and responded on the basis of street sleeping and hostel sleeping homelessness! I haven't read where the thread went! Just to clarify! It was a comment on the first page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Are we talking about "homelessness on the streets" or glorified homelessness (that isn't me diminishing this problem but just separating the two)

I only read the title and the few digs at Bono citing tax etc...the usual....

Most of the former is due to mental health. I think the starting basis should be approaching issue related to why many would appear to not want to step up and TRY face their situation

I couldn't give two shoites about the voluntary homeless to be honest.

The majority of them would turn down a house tomorrow if it was offered to them because it didn't 'suit' them.. not close enough to Mammy, kids having to share rooms etc

lawred2 wrote: »
    I couldn't give two shoites about the voluntary homeless to be honest.

The majority of them would turn down a house tomorrow if it was offered to them because it didn't 'suit' them.. not close enough to Mammy, kids having to share rooms etc

You can't put the phrase homeless into one bracket though? Even voluntary homeless isn't homogenous in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Is six foot enough?

Nobby tells the proletariat what to do whilst not paying tax in his country of birth where said problem is.

Just fcuk off Nobby, you're just a mouthpiece.
    Anything to stay relevant with Nobby as U2 age and produce less material and are pretty much out of the limelight at present... despite past, accepted, achievement.

Nobby, 58, moves into later stages of middle age, any attempt to stay in the limelight.

What's this Nobby stuff about? I think people will be less inclined to take your posts seriously if your aim is just to push a randomn nickname on him and make it "a thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rubbish. , we spent billions on education, the IDA, etc. We give people an education and we attract investment into Ireland that creates jobs. These jobs enable people to house themselves.
    We also spend billions on providing social housing.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Rubbish. , we spent billions on education, the IDA, etc. We give people an education and we attract investment into Ireland that creates jobs. These jobs enable people to house themselves.
    We also spend billions on providing social housing.

I'm talking about helping actual homeless people, not creating a platform to avoid setting people on a path of homelessness.
    As the phrase goes, **** happens. But there still is the opportunity to clean the **** up. I've seen people fall into bad times when it's obvious that they could avoid them. At least to people like you. The world isn't perfect, nor are its inhabitants. There is still an opportunity to help people who can't help themselves due to mental and emotional reasoning.

As I already mentioned I am not sure what bracket of homelessness people are referring to here??

It's very unclear what Bono is referring to here when he cites the homeless? Is he referring to situations like Ms. Cash and her kids "sleeping " in the Garda station or Joe Soap whose fallen into a situation of street and hostel situation due to going down a bad path.
    I don't see Bono mentioning social housing etc. That's the article

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    It’s a good idea to help homeless people especially at this time of year. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Well done bono.

Fook him the sanctimonious pri**.

If he was so interested in helping Irish people he wouldn't have moved his company's tax residency to a cheaper tax location.

_Brian wrote: »
    jpm4 wrote: »
    You done much to help the homeless recently?
    Work with a support group that provides counceling and run a drop in centre, all volunteer ran and supported by fundraising.
    Perhaps if the super rich paid a fair share of taxes more funding could be circulated where it’s needed.

This has to be best case of kicking someones ar** I have seen around here in quite a while.
    _Brian wrote: »
    I’d be happier if say he or JP McManus paid the same % of their income to the state say as a family earning €80k, maybe that would help allot of people.

I think it’s hypocritical to tell people alread paying way higher % of their income to “dig deep” to help out.

The difference is JP is tax resident outside of Ireland AND whilst he contributes a hell of a lot to Irish causes, yes including the GAA, I don't think I have ever ever heard him going around lecturing normal people to contribute their earnings.
    I don’t like him but his family home is now in killiney. He grew up in ballymun but left.

Ahh that's bullcr** pedalled to make him sound like some normal lad coming from a working class or tough area like Ballymum flats.
    aido79 wrote: »
    I am not a Bono fan by a long stretch and facts are usually not popular in things like this but I'm going to say it anyway.
    U2 as a band and the members of U2 are two separate things for tax purposes.
    U2 as a band are registered in the Netherlands to avoid paying 25% on their global earnings. This means they only pay 1.5%.
    The members of U2 are all tax resident in Ireland so they are taxed at the highest rate of 47% plus all the usual taxes such as motor tax, vat property tax etc.
    In essence they are paying a hell of a lot of tax but avoiding paying over 60% of their earnings.
    I don't think there are many people who would avoid paying tax legally if they could but good old Irish begrudgery coupled with Bono being an asshole makes people believe that he pays little or no tax and is all mouth.

Mind telling us how many years U2, Bonehead and the lads benefited from the very low tax rate offered to artists in Ireland all thanks to another tax avoider one mr cj haughey ?
    Do you really think Michael O'Leary's accountant does not try to reduce his tax bill?

I still stand by my point that Bono pays a hell of a lot more tax than people seem to think he does.

Well isn't he great.
    FFS no one would be on his case if he wasn't a fooking hypocrit telling normal people to cough up the whole fooking time.

He is one of the worst of this modern breed of celebrity lecturing others.
    Fair enough they did some good with things like Band Aid/Live Aid, but it went to their fooking heads.

Ad what is worse is whilst these people are lecturing others about contributing, about helping refugees, etc they are fooking immune from it due to their wealth.

STFU would be the best advice for him.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

jmayo wrote: »
    Fook him the sanctimonious pri**.

If he was so interested in helping Irish people he wouldn't have moved his company's tax residency to a cheaper tax location.

This has to be best case of kicking someones ar** I have seen around here in quite a while.

The difference is JP is tax resident outside of Ireland AND whilst he contributes a hell of a lot to Irish causes, yes including the GAA, I don't think I have ever ever heard him going around lecturing normal people to contribute their earnings.

Ahh that's bullcr** pedalled to make him sound like some normal lad coming from a working class or tough area like Ballymum flats.

Mind telling us how many years U2, Bonehead and the lads benefited from the very low tax rate offered to artists in Ireland all thanks to another tax avoider one mr cj haughey ?

Well isn't he great.
    FFS no one would be on his case if he wasn't a fooking hypocrit telling normal people to cough up the whole fooking time.

He is one of the worst of this modern breed of celebrity lecturing others.
    Fair enough they did some good with things like Band Aid/Live Aid, but it went to their fooking heads.

Ad what is worse is whilst these people are lecturing others about contributing, about helping refugees, etc they are fooking immune from it due to their wealth.

STFU would be the best advice for him.

Maybe take your own advice and you wouldn't sound so begrudging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dirtdrifter

If bono got all the shops to blast U2 with doors open

Would probably solve the homeless.crisis overnight

If bono got all the shops to blast U2 with doors open

Would probably solve the homeless.crisis overnight

Yeah, I was thinking when I saw it, there was probably a couple of lads sleeping out in grafton street that night that probably decided to get their life in order, give up the heroin etc instead of sitting there listening to bono..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I agree with that. I just don't see why his tax affairs get dragged into it. Every millionaire in the country avoids paying tax because they can afford better accountants yet they don't all get the same attention as Bono.

Yes but they're not all preachy and condescending like Bono telling everyone else what they should be doing with their own money are they im just sick to my back teeth of all these wealthy out of touch celebs dictating to the rest of us how we should live our lives because it's none of their bloody business what everyone else does, so i wish they would all just shut the hell up about things they know absolutely nothing about.

Advertisement